Unknown PC fails bootup & TUFFTEST Lite diagnostic boot

Recovered a Pentium 2 PC with 64MB and Maxtor drive. No idea of OS.
Doesn't boot up. Just beeping sound then a second continuous beep
starts as well.

Tried booting up with TUFFTEST disk to cut straight into DOS but same
beeping starts after a few seconds and then the long tone as well.
Nothing on monitor either.

Might try installing another HDD with an OS that works to test
motherboard.

Any advice how to get DOS running. Or get to the point of reloading an
OS from scratch most welcome.

Thanks

TJ

TJ Sackville-West wrote:

> Recovered a Pentium 2 PC with 64MB and Maxtor drive. No idea of OS.
> Doesn't boot up. Just beeping sound then a second continuous beep
> starts as well.

Hello, TJ:

That's a "beep code," which is crucial when the system video display
can't initialize. It "tells" you what the problem is, according to the
number of beeps.

> Tried booting up with TUFFTEST disk to cut straight into DOS but same
> beeping starts after a few seconds and then the long tone as well.
> Nothing on monitor either.
>
> Might try installing another HDD with an OS that works to test
> motherboard.

Won't help, as the computer must POST, even with no drives (of any
kind) installed. The issue is at a lower level, involving any of the
following, key components: CPU, RAM, BIOS, video adapter, or the
mainboard, itself.

> Any advice how to get DOS running. Or get to the point of reloading an
> OS from scratch most welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> TJ

If it's a PC of a major brand (IBM, Dell, etc.), try to find its model
number. Next, search Google <http://www.google.com>, and see whether you
can discover the BIOS manufacturer; then, seek out a list of that
company's beep codes.

On the other hand, if it's a home-built machine, remove its case cover
and locate the BIOS chip (mounted on the mainboard). It should have a
sticker on it, with the BIOS maker's name printed there (e.g., Award,
AMI BIOS, etc.).

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<415645D4.998A7618@concentric.net>...
> TJ Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > Recovered a Pentium 2 PC with 64MB and Maxtor drive. No idea of OS.
> > Doesn't boot up. Just beeping sound then a second continuous beep
> > starts as well.
>
> Hello, TJ:
>
> That's a "beep code," which is crucial when the system video display
> can't initialize. It "tells" you what the problem is, according to the
> number of beeps.
>
> > Tried booting up with TUFFTEST disk to cut straight into DOS but same
> > beeping starts after a few seconds and then the long tone as well.
> > Nothing on monitor either.
> >
> > Might try installing another HDD with an OS that works to test
> > motherboard.
>
> Won't help, as the computer must POST, even with no drives (of any
> kind) installed. The issue is at a lower level, involving any of the
> following, key components: CPU, RAM, BIOS, video adapter, or the
> mainboard, itself.
>
> > Any advice how to get DOS running. Or get to the point of reloading an
> > OS from scratch most welcome.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > TJ
>
> If it's a PC of a major brand (IBM, Dell, etc.), try to find its model
> number. Next, search Google <http://www.google.com>, and see whether you
> can discover the BIOS manufacturer; then, seek out a list of that
> company's beep codes.
>
> On the other hand, if it's a home-built machine, remove its case cover
> and locate the BIOS chip (mounted on the mainboard). It should have a
> sticker on it, with the BIOS maker's name printed there (e.g., Award,
> AMI BIOS, etc.).

Thanks for this advice. All of the above is what I feared, starting
with the BIOS and working through to possible faults on the
motherboard. Sad thruth is the CPU is probably a PII/500, board only
has 64Mb RAM and as I planned to install Suse Linux 9.1 (which is slow
on a 400 Celeron with 192MB RAM) I will sell this board as is for a
few bucks to a hobbyist to repair and buy a new motherboard with AMD
2600 rather than invest more time and money in a limited system.

TJ