old system / new ideas

Hi,
I have an old system running windows 98 first edition
without USB support.
It does everything I need and I would be reluctant to have to change.
I wonder if anyone knows of a work around to transfer digital
images from a digital camera to my system, as all
the cameras I have seen only support USB.

Someone suggested fitting a "Fire Wire" card to my system?

I have not yet bought a digital camera so would be grateful
for any information on camera / equipment compatibility
(old or new) for my system

Many Thanks,
Barry.

G' day Barry
Fire wire is mainly for Digital video recorders
USB is for Digital Cameras and many other hardware devices like
printers,mouse,etc
With a older computer systems you need to get USB V1.1 as the newer version
"USB V2" cards
wont work with them. "Not sure what you have though"
All you need is a USB V1.1 card that you can put in your PCI slot
Then you get a Digital camera of your choice that uses USBV1.1

My computer has USB V2 ports but my Digital camera uses USB V1.1
USB V2 is backwards compatible

Regards

On 25-Jul-2004, "Barry Milburn" <Barry@peekaboo.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an old system running windows 98 first edition
> without USB support.
> It does everything I need and I would be reluctant to have to change.
> I wonder if anyone knows of a work around to transfer digital
> images from a digital camera to my system, as all
> the cameras I have seen only support USB.
>
> Someone suggested fitting a "Fire Wire" card to my system?
>
> I have not yet bought a digital camera so would be grateful
> for any information on camera / equipment compatibility
> (old or new) for my system

Alternatively, you could try to locate a "flashpath" adapter for the type of
card the camera uses. A flashpath adapter is basically a device that looks
like a floppy disk. They are made to accept Multimedia cards (used in HP
and Kodak cameras among others). They used to be made to handle Sony Memory
sticks...used in Sony cameras (Sony model MSAC-FD2M)

--

"The human adventure is just beginning"

"X-Ray-Wa" <X-Ray@ask.com.au> wrote in message

> G' day Barry
> Fire wire is mainly for Digital video recorders
> USB is for Digital Cameras and many other hardware devices like
> printers,mouse,etc
> With a older computer systems you need to get USB V1.1 as the newer
version
> "USB V2" cards
> wont work with them. "Not sure what you have though"
> All you need is a USB V1.1 card that you can put in your PCI slot
> Then you get a Digital camera of your choice that uses USBV1.1
>
> My computer has USB V2 ports but my Digital camera uses USB V1.1
> USB V2 is backwards compatible
>
> Regards
>
> On 25-Jul-2004, "Barry Milburn" <Barry@peekaboo.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have an old system running windows 98 first edition
> > without USB support.
> > It does everything I need and I would be reluctant to have to change.
> > I wonder if anyone knows of a work around to transfer digital
> > images from a digital camera to my system, as all
> > the cameras I have seen only support USB.
> >
> > Someone suggested fitting a "Fire Wire" card to my system?
> >
> > I have not yet bought a digital camera so would be grateful
> > for any information on camera / equipment compatibility
> > (old or new) for my system

Card readers are good as a friend had a older type digital camera
where it plus into the serial port so I got her a card reader so it would
be a lot faster for her....
But normally the card reader plug into the USB port.
where the camera would plug into for barry

Regards

On 24-Jul-2004, "C0mdrData" <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> wrote:

> Alternatively, you could try to locate a "flashpath" adapter for the type
> of card the camera uses. A flashpath adapter is basically a device that
> looks like a floppy disk. They are made to accept Multimedia cards (used
> in HP
> and Kodak cameras among others). They used to be made to handle Sony
> Memory sticks...used in Sony cameras (Sony model MSAC-FD2M)

> "The human adventure is just beginning"
>
> "X-Ray-Wa" <X-Ray@ask.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > G' day Barry
> > Fire wire is mainly for Digital video recorders
> > USB is for Digital Cameras and many other hardware devices like
> > printers,mouse,etc
> > With a older computer systems you need to get USB V1.1 as the newer
> version "USB V2" cards
> > wont work with them. "Not sure what you have though"
> > All you need is a USB V1.1 card that you can put in your PCI slot
> > Then you get a Digital camera of your choice that uses USBV1.1
> >
> > My computer has USB V2 ports but my Digital camera uses USB V1.1
> > USB V2 is backwards compatible

Hi,
Thanks everyone, I have seen a Floppy Disc Smart Media
Card for sale on E.bay. Once I get that card I should be in
business.

Cheers,
Barry

> Card readers are good as a friend had a older type digital camera
> where it plus into the serial port so I got her a card reader so it would
> be a lot faster for her....
> But normally the card reader plug into the USB port.
> where the camera would plug into for barry
>
> Regards
>
> On 24-Jul-2004, "C0mdrData" <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, you could try to locate a "flashpath" adapter for the
type
> > of card the camera uses. A flashpath adapter is basically a device
that
> > looks like a floppy disk. They are made to accept Multimedia cards
(used
> > in HP
> > and Kodak cameras among others). They used to be made to handle Sony
> > Memory sticks...used in Sony cameras (Sony model MSAC-FD2M)
>

> > "The human adventure is just beginning"
> >
> > "X-Ray-Wa" <X-Ray@ask.com.au> wrote in message
> > >
> > > G' day Barry
> > > Fire wire is mainly for Digital video recorders
> > > USB is for Digital Cameras and many other hardware devices like
> > > printers,mouse,etc
> > > With a older computer systems you need to get USB V1.1 as the newer
> > version "USB V2" cards
> > > wont work with them. "Not sure what you have though"
> > > All you need is a USB V1.1 card that you can put in your PCI slot
> > > Then you get a Digital camera of your choice that uses USBV1.1
> > >
> > > My computer has USB V2 ports but my Digital camera uses USB V1.1
> > > USB V2 is backwards compatible

Be careful if you don't already have a camera. No current model camera uses
a smartmedia card. That means you would most likely have to go to ebay for
a camera as well.

--

Barry Milburn wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an old system running windows 98 first edition
> without USB support.
> It does everything I need and I would be reluctant to have to change.
> I wonder if anyone knows of a work around to transfer digital
> images from a digital camera to my system, as all
> the cameras I have seen only support USB.
>
> Someone suggested fitting a "Fire Wire" card to my system?
>
> I have not yet bought a digital camera so would be grateful
> for any information on camera / equipment compatibility
> (old or new) for my system

I admire the point of honor of keeping an old system running.

If your system is a notebook, you're practically there - get a PCMCIA flash
card reader and you'll have a very efficient method for transferring your
files. These are cheap and fast. Faster even than USB 1.

If your system is an ISA tower, get an ISA->PCMCIA adapter (going for about
10 dollars on eBay), plus a PCMCIA card reader. Get an adapter that
includes driver software, or still has driver downloads on the web. You may
need to try a 98SE or ME driver. NT and Win2K drivers will not work under
W95. Be careful not to get a CardBus reader as these are 32 bits, and an
ISA system will handle only 16 bit PCMCIA cards.

If your system is PCI, you have two choices, get a PCI->PCMCIA adapter, plus
the PCMCIA card reader. Again, stick with PCMCIA, and avoid CardBus,
although there is just a chance CardBus might work in a PCI based
configuration.

I don't recommend the floppy readers that others have mentioned. They are
slow, and they require a special driver that could have Win98 compatibility
issues. I would not try to support USB, and still less firewire, on
anything earlier than Windows 98 SE.

If your system is PCI, consider upgrading to Win98SE, which works reasonably
well with USB. You can then install a PCI USB adapter, and open a whole new
world of devices - scanners, etc. to your system. Again, make sure there
are Win95 drivers for whatever device you get. Heck, at that rate you'll be
running Win98 for another 5 years :)

---
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

Hi,
I have just bought a Fuji Finepix F401. Brand New Camera.
I think however it must be last years model as it has
"Smart Media" cards.
Anyhow I am blown away by the features, and it seems
a good quality camera.
For now I have bid on a Fuji Flashpath card (second hand)
on e.bay.
Later in the year I am going to upgrade to Windows98SE
to gain access to USB as the camera comes with a
cradle for automatic charge and USB (automatic) transfer of images.
As you say there may be a couple of years in this old system yet.

Thanks again for all advice.
I am a happy bunny.

Cheers,
Barry.