Getting to grips with SATA

Jordan

I got a Maxtor 120Gig SATA HDD, boots up fine when it's the only drive
on my computer. The BIOS (Award) is set to HDD-0.
Now, I'd like to install my old 60Gig Seagate as a Slave (was the
Master) so I can access the data.
I set the jumpers on it for Slave operation, but booting up the computer
fails when the Seagate is attached. It seems to want to boot from the
old drive, even though it is set as Slave.
I tried cabling it up to the primary, and also tried secondary IDE
header, as HDD-1 and various other selections, to no avail.
I downloaded and installed the last BIOS upgrade for the Gigabyte
m'board - no change.
Any ideas, folks?

Jordan

Thanks AG
It's working now - boots from the new SATA drive, and the old
(non-serial) ATA drive is readable.
The method was to change BIOS settings so as to boot from a SCSI device.
The SATA drive had been working as HDD-0 too, but only when it was the
only connected hard drive.

Jordan

Thanks AG
It's working now - boots from the new SATA drive, and the old
(non-serial) ATA drive is readable.
The method was to change BIOS settings so as to boot from a SCSI device.
The SATA drive had been working as HDD-0 too, but when it was the only
connected hard drive.