large video size

I have downloaded my video clips from my miniDV, then
edited them and added music on MM2. My entire movie is
15 minutes. I wanted to upload it back to my miniDV
camera, and MM2 tells me that I need 3.7 gig of free
space for temp files. Why does it need so much disk
space? Also, when I initially downloaded my video clips
at the DV-AVI setting, it took about 900 mb of disk
space. Why so much for only 15 min? At this rate a full
movie such as Lord of the Rings should not fit on a DVD?
This is my first time doing this, so for give my
ignorance.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about large video size

    DV-AVI files take up 12-13gb of hard drive space per hour of footage. That
    makes 15 minutes.... yes, you've guessed, somewhere between 3 and 4gb. Your
    PC (and MM2) is entirely correct in its mathematical calculations.

    Almost all commercial movies are burned on dual layer DVDs... ie twice 4.3gb
    which a single layer DVD allows for. Dual layer burners are now in stores.
    Dual layer DVD disks will be in stores towards the end of next month and
    will be approximately $6-10 each.
    www.coribright.com

    "prmdoc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have downloaded my video clips from my miniDV, then
    > edited them and added music on MM2. My entire movie is
    > 15 minutes. I wanted to upload it back to my miniDV
    > camera, and MM2 tells me that I need 3.7 gig of free
    > space for temp files. Why does it need so much disk
    > space? Also, when I initially downloaded my video clips
    > at the DV-AVI setting, it took about 900 mb of disk
    > space. Why so much for only 15 min? At this rate a full
    > movie such as Lord of the Rings should not fit on a DVD?
    > This is my first time doing this, so for give my
    > ignorance.
    >
    > Thanks

    As a little extra, to capture your movie at 900mb, it could not have been in
    dv-avi, probably WMV. Commercial disc manufacturers also have machines with
    codecs worth many thousands of pounds, which allows them to reduce the
    bitrate down quite low compared to home burnig and achieve amazingly good
    results.
    Graham--
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    www.simplydv.co.uk

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > DV-AVI files take up 12-13gb of hard drive space per hour of footage.
    That
    > makes 15 minutes.... yes, you've guessed, somewhere between 3 and 4gb.
    Your
    > PC (and MM2) is entirely correct in its mathematical calculations.
    >
    > Almost all commercial movies are burned on dual layer DVDs... ie twice
    4.3gb
    > which a single layer DVD allows for. Dual layer burners are now in
    stores.
    > Dual layer DVD disks will be in stores towards the end of next month and
    > will be approximately $6-10 each.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "prmdoc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have downloaded my video clips from my miniDV, then
    > > edited them and added music on MM2. My entire movie is
    > > 15 minutes. I wanted to upload it back to my miniDV
    > > camera, and MM2 tells me that I need 3.7 gig of free
    > > space for temp files. Why does it need so much disk
    > > space? Also, when I initially downloaded my video clips
    > > at the DV-AVI setting, it took about 900 mb of disk
    > > space. Why so much for only 15 min? At this rate a full
    > > movie such as Lord of the Rings should not fit on a DVD?
    > > This is my first time doing this, so for give my
    > > ignorance.
    > >
    > > Thanks

Video Windows XP