Can I restore MBR??

I have a drive that has been diagnosed as having a corrupted/missing MBR
(master boot record).

This drive was being used for about 3 months (it is a laptop drive, by the
way) without problems. Then all of a sudden it failed to be recognized.
Using some demo recovery tools to find out what was wrong, it said the data
was there but the MBR was damaged.

Now, can I just use fdisk /mbr to restore it? Or does NTFS and/or XP do
something different? If not, does it matter what DOS version I use fdisk
from?

Thanks

I either had or had numerous false positives on NYB virus a few weeks ago
and successfully used fdisk /mbr numerous times. I don't think there is any
real difference between the versions but woudnt worry about it as you havent
got one at the moment and after you run the program, you will have. It will
read the file system and act appropriately. I would run an antivirus scan (I
am sure you dont need telling this!!) and sfc /scannow after you get up and
running again to see what on earth caused the problem with the mbr