So who has tried X2: the threat?

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Just wondering if it's any good.
I really enjoyed freelancer, in all it's simplicity, it was a good game for a small while... until I realized that there was a certain point were there was simply nothing more to do in the game. Bleh, in retrospect, it actually was too simple. *ramble ramble*

Ok, just relay your thoughts! tnx.

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I tried the demo (so this isn't an entirely informed opinion) and it has steep learning curve. If you can slog through learning all the hotkey commands and have a joystick it looks promising if you're into space sims.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
It sort of depends on what type of space game u enjoy? Do you like the freespace1 and 2 quick space combat or a slower edge of chaos type game....

X2 is nothing like freelancer (repetitive muck).

First graphics, you will need a decent system to get the most out of this game as the visuals are fantastic and also a system killer. in game cut scenes are laughably bad as is the voice acting

sound: ingame music is alright, usual type of haunting space music which is the usual. Actual sound effects in the game are useless tho. really really weedy and totally underwhelming.

Controls: if u dont have a decent joystick dont even bother attempting the game.... if u do have a decent joystick be prepared to be patient as the control method in this game is muck.... rubbish and generally crap.... everything is twitchy and horrible and was my first major hurdle in the game but i persevered and u get used to it. then u have to grapple with a crap user interface as well. which is also a joke.

the game itself..... as biscuit says its like nuffin u have prolly played before and the learning curve is very very tough. the game itself is very slow paced and u need lots of patience to get going. the main emphasis is that u can really do what u feel like in the game. u can trade, buy other ships and get them to automatically trade and fly between systems, u can buy factories and get them to produce stuff needed in a nearby system or the same system and get yur ships to fly between em supplying them. u can be a pirate should u wish to be (altho combat in the game is very tough and not a lot of fun) to be honest tho im not that fond of these freeform space sims cos once the story has finished i dont really see the fun in being a pirate etc as there is no point to it and there is no goal to be achieved... ultimately its what u want from a space game and im more of a freespace space simmer.

anyway to me the game was very very rough and i just lost interest in it and am playing other games.... i do still have it installed and will approach it again when i have the time but apart from the graphics and initial wow factor i wouldnt reeeeeally want to recommend this game... altho to end this big post i will say a patch was released which may have improved some aspects, i never downloaded it so i cant say if it improves anything

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Games like this that have such a wicked learning curve turns me off. I like to jump right in and start shootin. 1st person shooters for me. No patience do i have.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with ithcy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Go <A HREF="http://www.eve-online.com" target="_new">http://www.eve-online.com</A> !

you won't regret it--- you might want a dx9 card and a faster internetconnection though ;)

Soltek SL-86SPE-L - P4A -2.4@2.766 - i865PE - 1024mb ddr400@307 w. TT A1165 - Ati Radeon 9700@381mhz 128Mb@626mhz - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks for your input guys!

Seems like the only fun feature is the fact that there is a dual-monitor mode. That, and they are planning to release a multiplayer expasion I hear.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
lol the game runs choppy for me when there is alot on screen (system is xp2600 @ 2.25, 1gb ram and 9800XT) i can only imagine the slideshow of a game on a dual monitor system. turning on the "monitors" on a single monitor also causes framedrops.

i did forget to mention in my anti X2 post that there are saving graces to the game depending on yur likes and dislikes... the game is HUUUGE, the graphics are stunning as is the architecture of ships etc, there is a mass of things to do from pirating to trading and lots of nice touches in the game that is failed to mention... its just for me "free form" games are no fun cos i cant be bothered doing that cos its all make beleive anyway and its not as if there is an impact (now if a game was online and yur character got recognition as a pirate THEN i see a point to freeform games... now a game i would LOVE to play is eve online but i lack broadband :( now that would be a hell of a game.... player run corporations laying claim to different areas of space.... wow... id love it

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"