They did it again! (was Steam Lies and Hijacks your games!)

After setting all games to "not auto-update", CS:S is again set to
"Always keep this game up to date". The rest of the games are still on
"Do not automatically update this game".

So is this a bug you say?

http://accessdenied.darktech.org/steam_cs.jpg

To e-mail, remove the obvious
20 answers Last reply
More about they again steam lies hijacks games

    It could quite feasibly be a bug. I presume you've googled to see if anyone
    else has encountered the same problem?

    "AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in message
    > After setting all games to "not auto-update", CS:S is again set to
    > "Always keep this game up to date". The rest of the games are still on
    > "Do not automatically update this game".
    >
    > So is this a bug you say?
    >
    > http://accessdenied.darktech.org/steam_cs.jpg
    >

    > To e-mail, remove the obvious

    When you join a server in CS:S the settings changes to "always keep
    this game up to date"
    Just tried
    Imho an obvious choice

    Report it to Valve using the bug report you can find in the CS:S menu
    I couldn't be bothered

    Auto update is also forced on HL2 SP
    Checking HL2 DM .... hang on - settigns changed to "Alwaus keep this
    game up to date"

    This is ridicoulus, this bug was reported fixed ages ago by Valve
    Bugger :-(

    > I never did join any CS:S servers!

    No but you did start the game, right?

    I had the "do not" thing switched on for all games, remember?
    When I started CS:S and joined a server the settings changed to
    "Always..."
    As with HL2 SP and DM

    > Tin poisioning ...

    Come on - when a man has found a problem and is right about it give the
    man some credits
    And remember this time no foul language is involved!

    I can confirm the problem!
    Eg starting HL1 SP game even if the setting is "Do not..." the setting
    is changed to "Always..."
    That's a bit far from having a problem with too much tin imho

    > I just happen to have all my games set to
    > always keep up to date

    So do I, so do I

    This bug is an old one and reported fixed by Valve
    I don't like this :-(

    Though I can see a few legimit reasons for resetting this in a MP game
    and very hard to find any reasons when we are talking about SP games
    Hmm somehow Valve has reintroduced this bug by accident or purpose who
    knows :-(

    Makes it a bit hard to defend Steam doesn't it?
    Oh well - it's just a game :o>

    "James Whyley" <unleash@the.trout> wrote in message
    > It could quite feasibly be a bug. I presume you've googled to see if
    > anyone else has encountered the same problem?
    >
    > "AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in
    > message news:porv41tqj3ams3fda73iipag0696kiqttf@4ax.com...
    >> After setting all games to "not auto-update", CS:S is again set to
    >> "Always keep this game up to date". The rest of the games are still
    >> on "Do not automatically update this game".
    >>
    >> So is this a bug you say?
    >>
    >> http://accessdenied.darktech.org/steam_cs.jpg
    >>

    >> To e-mail, remove the obvious

    Does CS and CS:Source even have a way to play single player? Other than
    start an empty server that is. It might be possible that auto updating
    for CS:S is forced because 1)it's multiplayer only and 2)this allows
    instant updating of anti-cheating measures. And that is IF it IS
    forced....
    McG.

    <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Tin poisioning ...
    >
    > Come on - when a man has found a problem and is right about it give
    > the man some credits
    > And remember this time no foul language is involved!
    >
    > I can confirm the problem!
    > Eg starting HL1 SP game even if the setting is "Do not..." the setting
    > is changed to "Always..."
    > That's a bit far from having a problem with too much tin imho

    Peter, I grant true, the setting should stay put, no matter which way
    you set it. I just happen to have all my games set to always keep up to
    date. I wouldn't have noticed that problem.
    McG.

    > "James Whyley" <unleash@the.trout> wrote in message
    > > It could quite feasibly be a bug. I presume you've googled to see if
    > > anyone else has encountered the same problem?
    > >
    > > "AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in
    > > message news:porv41tqj3ams3fda73iipag0696kiqttf@4ax.com...
    > >> After setting all games to "not auto-update", CS:S is again set to
    > >> "Always keep this game up to date". The rest of the games are still
    > >> on "Do not automatically update this game".
    > >>
    > >> So is this a bug you say?
    > >>
    > >> http://accessdenied.darktech.org/steam_cs.jpg
    > >>

    > >> To e-mail, remove the obvious
    >
    > Does CS and CS:Source even have a way to play single player? Other than
    > start an empty server that is. It might be possible that auto updating
    > for CS:S is forced because 1)it's multiplayer only and 2)this allows
    > instant updating of anti-cheating measures. And that is IF it IS
    > forced....
    > McG.

    condition zero & counterstrike source both include bots for single play.

    dr ratt

    > And Pete, thanks for being honest about this.

    No problem
    If you play a fair game you will have an appropiate response

    > Since they last reported that they fixed this "bug".

    Not sure about this though
    I have tried to look through the update news on steampowered couldn't
    find anything related to this "feature"

    I will do a bug report on steampowered

    peter.aghl@gmail.com wrote:
    > > And Pete, thanks for being honest about this.
    >
    > No problem
    > If you play a fair game you will have an appropiate response
    >
    > > Since they last reported that they fixed this "bug".
    >
    > Not sure about this though
    > I have tried to look through the update news on steampowered couldn't
    > find anything related to this "feature"
    >
    > I will do a bug report on steampowered

    I vaguely recall someone posting here that it was fixed. But you should
    never believe anything your read on Usenet anyway. Especially when your
    own experience shows otherwise.

    It's a shame SayNO is missing this, potentially his finest hour. Whilst
    we can't prove evil intent on Valve's part, this is definitely a bug in
    Steam and an unnacceptable one. A user setting should not be secretly
    overridden, no matter how logical it is to have the game updated for
    online play. There could be other reasons why a user does not want a
    game to be updated and the software should not just ignore that.

    We'll have to call Steam "HAL" if Valve don't fix this.

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:08:51 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >"James Whyley" <unleash@the.trout> wrote in message
    >> It could quite feasibly be a bug. I presume you've googled to see if
    >> anyone else has encountered the same problem?
    >>
    >> "AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in
    >> message news:porv41tqj3ams3fda73iipag0696kiqttf@4ax.com...
    >>> After setting all games to "not auto-update", CS:S is again set to
    >>> "Always keep this game up to date". The rest of the games are still
    >>> on "Do not automatically update this game".
    >>>
    >>> So is this a bug you say?
    >>>
    >>> http://accessdenied.darktech.org/steam_cs.jpg
    >>>

    >>> To e-mail, remove the obvious
    >
    >Does CS and CS:Source even have a way to play single player? Other than
    >start an empty server that is. It might be possible that auto updating
    >for CS:S is forced because 1)it's multiplayer only and 2)this allows
    >instant updating of anti-cheating measures. And that is IF it IS
    >forced....
    >McG.

    I beg to differ. The same "feature" also exists with HL2.
    The previous time, my HL2 was reset to auto-update.

    To e-mail, remove the obvious

    "AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in
    message news:4uf0515013tf1r2b071n267lgfpue3oq25@4ax.com
    > On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:08:51 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "James Whyley" <unleash@the.trout> wrote in message
    >>> It could quite feasibly be a bug. I presume you've googled to see if
    >>> anyone else has encountered the same problem?
    >>>
    >>> "AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in
    >>> message news:porv41tqj3ams3fda73iipag0696kiqttf@4ax.com...

    >> Does CS and CS:Source even have a way to play single player? Other
    >> than start an empty server that is. It might be possible that auto
    >> updating for CS:S is forced because 1)it's multiplayer only and
    >> 2)this allows instant updating of anti-cheating measures. And that
    >> is IF it IS forced....
    >> McG.
    >>

    > I beg to differ. The same "feature" also exists with HL2.
    > The previous time, my HL2 was reset to auto-update.
    >

    > To e-mail, remove the obvious

    Ok, sounds like either a bug or somethings corrupted... as my Friends
    thingamajig.... or its time for the tin hats :o\
    McG.

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > Ok, sounds like either a bug or somethings corrupted... as my Friends
    > thingamajig.... or its time for the tin hats :o\
    > McG.

    Tin poisioning is abnormally common amonst those wearing tin hats. I
    prefer aluminium and lead hats. Sure they weigh more, but they keep the
    world away better...

    Civilian_Target

    >> I just happen to have all my games set to
    >> always keep up to date
    >
    > So do I, so do I
    >
    > This bug is an old one and reported fixed by Valve
    > I don't like this :-(
    >
    > Though I can see a few legimit reasons for resetting this in a MP game
    > and very hard to find any reasons when we are talking about SP games
    > Hmm somehow Valve has reintroduced this bug by accident or purpose who
    > knows :-(
    >
    > Makes it a bit hard to defend Steam doesn't it?
    > Oh well - it's just a game :o>

    The game is just a game.... but the delivery and controls aren't :o\
    McG.

    Andrew wrote:
    > On 4 Apr 2005 02:50:00 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It's a shame SayNO is missing this, potentially his finest hour.
    Whilst
    > >we can't prove evil intent on Valve's part, this is definitely a bug
    in
    > >Steam and an unnacceptable one. A user setting should not be
    secretly
    > >overridden, no matter how logical it is to have the game updated for
    > >online play. There could be other reasons why a user does not want a
    > >game to be updated and the software should not just ignore that.
    >
    > I don't know why the OP doesn't just play the game in offline mode,
    > then he won't have to worry about updates.

    Yeah, that's why it was never a problem to me - my connection is not
    "always on". But for those people who are "always on", this must be
    frustrating.

    In any case, surely it is not acceptable for any software to secretly
    reset something that you specifically changed from the default? There's
    a principle here, as well as the practical effects. Much as I like the
    concept of Steam, this is IMO a fault that should be fixed.

    On 3 Apr 2005 13:57:42 -0700, peter.aghl@gmail.com wrote:

    >> I never did join any CS:S servers!
    >
    >No but you did start the game, right?
    >
    >I had the "do not" thing switched on for all games, remember?
    >When I started CS:S and joined a server the settings changed to
    >"Always..."
    >As with HL2 SP and DM

    Yes, I did start the game.
    Guess they are trying to update the game 'cos it's supposedly mp.
    But it's still wrong to do that (then why bother giving user's the "not auto-update" option?).
    Anyways we can use bots with CS. So it makes it sp too.

    HL2 is another issue too. I presume if I ran it too, it would set back to auto-update.
    I'm gonna try this later.

    And Pete, thanks for being honest about this.

    I hardly trust steam anymore.
    And I think nobody should. Since they last reported that they fixed this "bug".

    Call me paranoid, but I'm starting to suspect that the reason for this BS feature is 'cos valve is
    trying to cover it's tracks/loopholes of the stolen code by forcing updates.

    Valve, we god damn know that this is ***NOT A BUG!!****.
    I won't stop bitching about this till you bitches make it right!

    To e-mail, remove the obvious

    On 3 Apr 2005 13:57:42 -0700, peter.aghl@gmail.com wrote:

    >As with HL2 SP and DM

    Sorry, was too pissed to notice that you had already tried the HL2 portion.
    Guess that's done then.

    To e-mail, remove the obvious

Games Steam Video Games