After some diagnoising I think I may have a WIndows XP
issue.I can capture fine in Premiere Pro 1.0, however
when I playback the timeline (or any clips) through the
DV out through a DV camera to preview it doesn't play
smoothly at all. It stutters a bit, occasionaly shows a
frame or two on the NTSC monitor, but that's it. I have
another Premiere Pro set-up at my office and it works
fine with this set-up so I'm very confused and
frustrated. Here's what I've done to try and fix it:
Upgraded Video drivers
Tried different 1394 drivers
Tried another DV camera
Tried a new cable
Tried all playback setting options in Premiere Pro
Tried other clips
Re-Installed Premiere 6.5
etc. etc.
All to no avail
When I unplug the firewire cable it runs fine on the PC
monitor.
This is a new computer with a 2.8 ghz P4, 1 gig of Ram,
etc. so there shopuld be plenty of muscle. My hunch is
it's the firewire connection but I don;t know enoughg
about the hardware/driver conflict side of things to
diagnose it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What else are you running? Does it improve if you TEMPORARILY disable
antivirus software?

www.coribright.com

"Andy A" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After some diagnoising I think I may have a WIndows XP
> issue.I can capture fine in Premiere Pro 1.0, however
> when I playback the timeline (or any clips) through the
> DV out through a DV camera to preview it doesn't play
> smoothly at all. It stutters a bit, occasionaly shows a
> frame or two on the NTSC monitor, but that's it. I have
> another Premiere Pro set-up at my office and it works
> fine with this set-up so I'm very confused and
> frustrated. Here's what I've done to try and fix it:
> Upgraded Video drivers
> Tried different 1394 drivers
> Tried another DV camera
> Tried a new cable
> Tried all playback setting options in Premiere Pro
> Tried other clips
> Re-Installed Premiere 6.5
> etc. etc.
> All to no avail
> When I unplug the firewire cable it runs fine on the PC
> monitor.
> This is a new computer with a 2.8 ghz P4, 1 gig of Ram,
> etc. so there shopuld be plenty of muscle. My hunch is
> it's the firewire connection but I don;t know enoughg
> about the hardware/driver conflict side of things to
> diagnose it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you running firewire to the cam and analogue out of the cam to the
monitor?
Have you tried adobe for any updates to Pro, they are up to 1.5 now, which
may help.
As for different pc's and one working and the other not, due to the large
number of different parts fitted to each, this often will happen.
You could try unistalling the firewire card, and then removing it. rebooting
and turn off pc, refit the card possibly in a different pci slot and then
reboot again.
Along with Cari's antivirus, try disconnecting from the net and turn off
firewall/screensaver/powersave modes and any other apps you don't need.
Defrag the hard drive, capture to a seperate hard drive from the O/S one.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media