Weird Problem with Maxtor 4 D040H2

I am having a very strange problem.

I am unsure if it's hardware related or software related, but here it
goes:

I have a Maxtor 4 D040H2 USB 2.0 Drive, and when I plug it in, as soon
as windows detects it, I can hear the drive power down, and Windows cannot
complete mounting the drive. It shows in the Device Manager, and as soon as
I uninstall it from Device Manager, I can hear the drive power back up. My
USB Mouse works in the same port...I am clueless as to what could be causing
this.

Thanks!
Daniel

More about weird problem maxtor d040h2

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:15:50 -0700, "DR" <na@na.com> wrote:

    >I am having a very strange problem.
    >

    > I am unsure if it's hardware related or software related, but here it
    >goes:
    >
    > I have a Maxtor 4 D040H2 USB 2.0 Drive, and when I plug it in, as soon
    >as windows detects it, I can hear the drive power down, and Windows cannot
    >complete mounting the drive. It shows in the Device Manager, and as soon as
    >I uninstall it from Device Manager, I can hear the drive power back up. My
    >USB Mouse works in the same port...I am clueless as to what could be causing
    >this.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Daniel

    If it's not a defective unit or interface then it might be related to your USB 2.0 controllers...
    Try it on another PC with a different controller and see if it works correctly. Ensure to have a
    good PSU anyway, although it might not be the case, bad PSUs could do weird things.

Storage