Is Ghost 9 the new version of Drive Image?

I know that Symantec bought out PQ a while ago.

I just had a peek on the Symantec site and cant see DI offered for sale but
a link referring to DI goes straight to Ghost 9. Is Ghost 9 a reworked
version of Ghost? A rebadged version of DI? Or a synthesis of the two?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Ian

kenneth

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:01:12 +0100, "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com>
wrote:

>I know that Symantec bought out PQ a while ago.
>
>I just had a peek on the Symantec site and cant see DI offered for sale but
>a link referring to DI goes straight to Ghost 9. Is Ghost 9 a reworked
>version of Ghost? A rebadged version of DI? Or a synthesis of the two?
>
>Does anyone know?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ian

Hi Ian,

I cannot offer anything on a first hand basis, but...

I have read that G9 is DI-7 with new graphics replacing the older
style.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

> I just had a peek on the Symantec site and cant see DI offered for sale but
> a link referring to DI goes straight to Ghost 9. Is Ghost 9 a reworked
> version of Ghost? A rebadged version of DI? Or a synthesis of the two?

So far, looks like DI/V2i. Nothing left of the old Ghost except the
name, and they even tell you that you can't backup 98/ME/older DOS
systems if you're not on w2k/xp - unless you use the included Ghost 2003.

Here, it's a case where they messed up. Ghost 2003 will still backup
every OS w/o a problem, and the Ghost 2005/9 version is simply a mess --
how can you make a 100% unaltered backup w/o installing Ghost 2005 when
it needs to be installed before making a backup?!? At least older ver.
of Ghost had a diskette that had everything you needed to backup any OS
at any state, even after virus damage, partial data deletions, etc. and
far better for saving a backup of your HD.

If you're going with a live-backup of the OS, I'd go with Acronis
instead for the higher ratings and more version releases and support for
all windows OSs down to 98 (ghost 2005 only does 2k/xp).

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>I know that Symantec bought out PQ a while ago.
>
>I just had a peek on the Symantec site and cant see DI offered for sale but
>a link referring to DI goes straight to Ghost 9. Is Ghost 9 a reworked
>version of Ghost? A rebadged version of DI? Or a synthesis of the two?
>
>Does anyone know?

It's a newer version of Drive Image 7.

I've used Ghost 9 now for several weeks now (used DI7 before). Here
are some of the new features (features that were not in DI7) that were
added:

1. Ability to take incremental backups (of changed sectors I
understand). Works nice and quick.

2. Boot CD used for recovery. Starts up a mini-Win XP environment.

Very nice because it allows you to recover files/images from USB hard
drives. That was more difficult (almost impossible) in DI7. Hence,
you can take image backups to rotating external drives. If/when you
need a backup, just plug it in with the CD.

3. Automatic discovery of a network from boot CD, so you can restore
an image from some other networked PC. (haven't tried this option).

kenneth

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:07:03 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:

>3. Automatic discovery of a network from boot CD, so you can restore
>an image from some other networked PC. (haven't tried this option).

Howdy,

I have worked with Powerquest techs on this using DI7 and
V2iProtector. They assisted me for many hours, and sent me several
updates to the software, all to no avail.

That is not to say that it does not work properly for others, or using
G9, but I have had no luck with it yet...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

"Kenneth" wrote:
> I have worked with Powerquest techs on this using DI7 and
> V2iProtector. They assisted me for many hours, and sent
> me several updates to the software, all to no avail.
>
> That is not to say that it does not work properly for others,
> or using G9, but I have had no luck with it yet...

Have you installed Microsoft .NET Framework? Drive
Image 7.x required that .NET Framework be installed.
Drive Image didn't work for me until I did that. It's a free
download from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

*TimDaniels*

Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:07:03 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:
>>3. Automatic discovery of a network from boot CD, so you can restore
>>an image from some other networked PC. (haven't tried this option).
>>

>Howdy,
>
>I have worked with Powerquest techs on this using DI7 and
>V2iProtector. They assisted me for many hours, and sent me several
>updates to the software, all to no avail.
>
>That is not to say that it does not work properly for others, or using
>G9, but I have had no luck with it yet...

I just tried it with Ghost 9. The Ghost 9 boot CD creates a
"Preinstallation XP" or mini-xp environment. After booting the CD, I
selected the option yes to "Do you want to start Network Services?".
After the booting, selected their utilities and selected "Map Network
Drive". I was able to enter the remote \\server\sharefoldername.

I then used the Ghost 9 Browse Backup Image utility, to open the
backup set stored on my other computer, selected a file to restore,
and then restored it. It worked and I checked after I rebooted.

I believe that the DI 7 emergency recovery utilities used DOS
diskettes which you made during (or after) install. It required some
juggling to get your nic drivers on the DOS diskettes because you
booted from these diskettes.

With Ghost 9, the preinstallation XP environment seems to have a
better (fuller) set of network nic recognition.

From this, I can conclude besides storing my images on external USB
drives, I can also retrieve a backup image stored on another networked
PC.

I never got all this to work with DI 7 in DOS, so it is a definite
improvement in Ghost 9.

kenneth

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:46:00 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

>"Kenneth" wrote:
>> I have worked with Powerquest techs on this using DI7 and
>> V2iProtector. They assisted me for many hours, and sent
>> me several updates to the software, all to no avail.
>>
>> That is not to say that it does not work properly for others,
>> or using G9, but I have had no luck with it yet...
>

> Have you installed Microsoft .NET Framework? Drive
>Image 7.x required that .NET Framework be installed.
>Drive Image didn't work for me until I did that. It's a free
>download from Microsoft:
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en
>
>*TimDaniels*

Hi Tim,

Yes, the .NET framework (most recent version, was on all systems...

Might you have other thoughts about this?

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Item "2." mentioned is DI 7.0/7.01 capable as well.
"John ." <john@notme.com> wrote in message
> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
> >I know that Symantec bought out PQ a while ago.
> >
> >I just had a peek on the Symantec site and cant see DI offered for sale
but
> >a link referring to DI goes straight to Ghost 9. Is Ghost 9 a reworked
> >version of Ghost? A rebadged version of DI? Or a synthesis of the two?
> >
> >Does anyone know?
>
> It's a newer version of Drive Image 7.
>
> I've used Ghost 9 now for several weeks now (used DI7 before). Here
> are some of the new features (features that were not in DI7) that were
> added:
>
> 1. Ability to take incremental backups (of changed sectors I
> understand). Works nice and quick.
>
> 2. Boot CD used for recovery. Starts up a mini-Win XP environment.
>
> Very nice because it allows you to recover files/images from USB hard
> drives. That was more difficult (almost impossible) in DI7. Hence,
> you can take image backups to rotating external drives. If/when you
> need a backup, just plug it in with the CD.
>
> 3. Automatic discovery of a network from boot CD, so you can restore
> an image from some other networked PC. (haven't tried this option).

Symantec bought out Powerquest for DI's real-time backup capability. That's
no secret. Didn't think they would be so blantant as to use all the same
stuff/code for rest of it. Sounds like a baby MS.

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> writes:

>"Kenneth" wrote:
>> I have worked with Powerquest techs on this using DI7 and
>> V2iProtector. They assisted me for many hours, and sent
>> me several updates to the software, all to no avail.
>>
>> That is not to say that it does not work properly for others,
>> or using G9, but I have had no luck with it yet...

> Have you installed Microsoft .NET Framework? Drive
>Image 7.x required that .NET Framework be installed.
>Drive Image didn't work for me until I did that. It's a free
>download from Microsoft:
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

Is there a specific .NET Framework version that DI7 requires?

Also, what guidance is there about the patches to .NET Framework that
are required to close the JPEG vulnerability with the patches from
MS Security Bulletin MS04-028?

(I don't use DI, and I don't support it for my users...but there
are always cowboys whose primary criterion for selecting software
is "it's not supported by the IT staff.")

Joe Morris

"Joe Morris" <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote in message
> "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> writes:
>
> >"Kenneth" wrote:
> >> I have worked with Powerquest techs on this using DI7 and
> >> V2iProtector. They assisted me for many hours, and sent
> >> me several updates to the software, all to no avail.
> >>
> >> That is not to say that it does not work properly for others,
> >> or using G9, but I have had no luck with it yet...
>
> > Have you installed Microsoft .NET Framework? Drive
> >Image 7.x required that .NET Framework be installed.
> >Drive Image didn't work for me until I did that. It's a free
> >download from Microsoft:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842
-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

> Is there a specific .NET Framework version that DI7 requires?

The original one worked fine with 7.0, as well as 1.1 version.

> Also, what guidance is there about the patches to .NET Framework that
> are required to close the JPEG vulnerability with the patches from
> MS Security Bulletin MS04-028?

Patch installed, still works fine.

> (I don't use DI, and I don't support it for my users...but there
> are always cowboys whose primary criterion for selecting software
> is "it's not supported by the IT staff.")

I can see why.

> Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:07:03 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:
> >>3. Automatic discovery of a network from boot CD, so you can restore
> >>an image from some other networked PC. (haven't tried this option).
> >>

> >Howdy,
> >
> >I have worked with Powerquest techs on this using DI7 and
> >V2iProtector. They assisted me for many hours, and sent me several
> >updates to the software, all to no avail.
> >
> >That is not to say that it does not work properly for others, or using
> >G9, but I have had no luck with it yet...
>
> I just tried it with Ghost 9. The Ghost 9 boot CD creates a
> "Preinstallation XP" or mini-xp environment. After booting the CD, I
> selected the option yes to "Do you want to start Network Services?".
> After the booting, selected their utilities and selected "Map Network
> Drive". I was able to enter the remote \\server\sharefoldername.
>
> I then used the Ghost 9 Browse Backup Image utility, to open the
> backup set stored on my other computer, selected a file to restore,
> and then restored it. It worked and I checked after I rebooted.

Shades of DI 7.0, ring in at Ghost 9.

> I believe that the DI 7 emergency recovery utilities used DOS
> diskettes which you made during (or after) install. It required some
> juggling to get your nic drivers on the DOS diskettes because you
> booted from these diskettes.

The drivers were not standard XP installed network drivers then. Kinda
sounds like you're speaking of DI2002 now. DI 7 will not work in dos.

> With Ghost 9, the preinstallation XP environment seems to have a
> better (fuller) set of network nic recognition.

Seems? Sensory data that led to that conclusion?

> From this, I can conclude besides storing my images on external USB
> drives, I can also retrieve a backup image stored on another networked
> PC.

Shades of DI 7.0

> I never got all this to work with DI 7 in DOS, so it is a definite
> improvement in Ghost 9.

Read my lips. DI 7 does not work in dos.
You indicated an XP environment earlier for Ghost 9.

"Joe Morris" wrote:
> "Timothy Daniels" writes:
> Is there a specific .NET Framework version that DI7 requires?

Not that I'm aware of. It worked for me with version 1.0
as well as it does now with version 1.1 .

> Also, what guidance is there about the patches to .NET
> Framework that are required to close the JPEG vulnerability
> with the patches from MS Security Bulletin MS04-028?

No guidance. The patches to Framework 1.1 had no affect
that I noticed, and it probably had no effect on anything that DI
uses.

*TimDaniels*

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:

>"John ." <john@notme.com> wrote in message
>> I believe that the DI 7 emergency recovery utilities used DOS
>> diskettes which you made during (or after) install. It required some
>> juggling to get your nic drivers on the DOS diskettes because you
>> booted from these diskettes.
>
>The drivers were not standard XP installed network drivers then. Kinda
>sounds like you're speaking of DI2002 now. DI 7 will not work in dos.

Oops. You're right. I was thinking of the DI 2002 which used the DOS
recovery diskettes. When you bought DI7, you also got DI 2002 for Win
98 based pc's.

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I know that Symantec bought out PQ a while ago.
>
> I just had a peek on the Symantec site and cant see DI offered for sale
> but a link referring to DI goes straight to Ghost 9. Is Ghost 9 a
> reworked version of Ghost? A rebadged version of DI? Or a synthesis of the
> two?
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

Hi Guys

Thanks for responding to this.

I didnt realise that DI7 was still iffy with external devices. Thought they
had solved that one.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Ghost9 but just need to know if it will work on
RAID drives?

As far as I can see, any Ghost9 product info on the symantec sites make no
ref to RAID so I just want to double check.

Thanks for any info

Ian

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>I didnt realise that DI7 was still iffy with external devices. Thought they
>had solved that one.
>
>I'm thinking of upgrading to Ghost9 but just need to know if it will work on
>RAID drives?
>
>As far as I can see, any Ghost9 product info on the symantec sites make no
>ref to RAID so I just want to double check.

If Windows XP supports it, Ghost 9 supports it, although you might
have to press F6 and load the drivers for your RAID controller when
booting from the recovery disk, if XP doesn't load the driver out of
the box.
Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
Vancouver, BC