Can't boot from Part.Magic 8.01 or Drive Quest 2002 floppies

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 4, 2004 3:04:48 AM

My daughter's system is a single hard drive, which I partitioned using PM
8.01 via their boot floppies, into a 3 gb OS partition, and a 7 gb Data
partition. After installing the OS and applications, I used Drive Image
2002, again using the boot floppies, to image the OS partition onto the Data
partition. I have had to on occasion restore that image, doing so via the
boot floppies, without incident.

Her OS partition needs to be a little larger, as she's running out of space,
so I thought I'd just redistribute the space using PM 8.01. I tried to boot
from the same, original boot floppies (created on my desktop system, on
which PM 8.01 is installed), and it fails to load. It gets as far as asking
for the 2nd floppy, the screen comes up indicating that PM is loading, but
then the monitor goes blank, and it never loads. Prior to the loading
screen, there is a brief DOS message indicating that the mouse driver hasn't
loaded (which didn't occur before).

I tried this twice, but the same thing occurred. So I grabbed my DriveImage
2002 boot floppies, and the same sequence occurred, with the monitor going
blank, and nothing happening, once the loading screen came up.

The system can boot into XP Home, with mouse loading normally. I got into
Recovery Console, ran CHKDSK /r, apparently a few errors were repaired, but
this did not change the problem.

I still need to redistribute the space allocated to the OS and Data
partitions, but am unable to boot either PM 8.01 or DI 2002. I have been
able to do so previously, using the same physical set of floppies generated
by these programs.

I'm stumped by this, and need advice on where the problem is, so I can get
the job done.

Thanks.

--
Don
Photo Website at:

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 5, 2004 4:17:29 AM

Don Cohen wrote:
> My daughter's system is a single hard drive, which I partitioned
> using PM
> 8.01 via their boot floppies, into a 3 gb OS partition, and a 7 gb
> Data partition. After installing the OS and applications, I used
> Drive Image 2002, again using the boot floppies, to image the OS
> partition onto the Data partition. I have had to on occasion restore
> that image, doing so via the boot floppies, without incident.
>
> Her OS partition needs to be a little larger, as she's running out of
> space, so I thought I'd just redistribute the space using PM 8.01. I
> tried to boot from the same, original boot floppies (created on my
> desktop system, on which PM 8.01 is installed), and it fails to load.
> It gets as far as asking for the 2nd floppy, the screen comes up
> indicating that PM is loading, but then the monitor goes blank, and
> it never loads. Prior to the loading screen, there is a brief DOS
> message indicating that the mouse driver hasn't loaded (which didn't
> occur before).
>
> I tried this twice, but the same thing occurred. So I grabbed my
> DriveImage 2002 boot floppies, and the same sequence occurred, with
> the monitor going blank, and nothing happening, once the loading
> screen came up.
>
> The system can boot into XP Home, with mouse loading normally. I got
> into Recovery Console, ran CHKDSK /r, apparently a few errors were
> repaired, but this did not change the problem.
>
> I still need to redistribute the space allocated to the OS and Data
> partitions, but am unable to boot either PM 8.01 or DI 2002. I have
> been able to do so previously, using the same physical set of
> floppies generated by these programs.
>
> I'm stumped by this, and need advice on where the problem is, so I
> can get the job done.
>
> Thanks.

Seems that a disk check has failed whilst loading the program. Your
suggestion to perform a CHKDSK /R in the Recovery Console was right. You
only had to repeat it until no errors are found...

As the PartitionMagic 8.0x CD comes as a bootable CD try to boot from it
straight away. Does that work?
(Make sure that the CD-ROM drive is set as the first boot device in your
BIOS)

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 5, 2004 4:17:30 AM

Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

> Seems that a disk check has failed whilst loading the program. Your
> suggestion to perform a CHKDSK /R in the Recovery Console was right. You
> only had to repeat it until no errors are found...

Easy enough to try. I'll do that tonight.

> As the PartitionMagic 8.0x CD comes as a bootable CD try to boot from it
> straight away. Does that work?
> (Make sure that the CD-ROM drive is set as the first boot device in your
> BIOS)

Actually the version I bought from them was obtained via download, so I have
no CD to boot from. Do you know any way to create a bootable CD from the
boot floppies, or via the program itself (which is installed on my desktop)?

Thanks again.

--
Don
Photo Website at:
http://www.dlcphotography.net

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 6, 2004 3:39:21 AM

Don Cohen wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
>> Seems that a disk check has failed whilst loading the program. Your
>> suggestion to perform a CHKDSK /R in the Recovery Console was right.
>> You only had to repeat it until no errors are found...
>
> Easy enough to try. I'll do that tonight.
>
>> As the PartitionMagic 8.0x CD comes as a bootable CD try to boot
>> from it straight away. Does that work?
>> (Make sure that the CD-ROM drive is set as the first boot device in
>> your BIOS)
>
> Actually the version I bought from them was obtained via download, so
> I have no CD to boot from. Do you know any way to create a bootable
> CD from the boot floppies, or via the program itself (which is
> installed on my desktop)?
>
> Thanks again.

Nero is a good candidate in creating a boot image from both CD based folders
...\DOSMAKE\DISK1 and ..\DOSMAKE\DISK2. Are both present in the download
file?
If not, you may want to create the set of the two rescue disks and use
WinImage (http://wwww.winimage.com) to create an image out of them...?

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 6, 2004 3:39:22 AM

Hi Michael,

> Nero is a good candidate in creating a boot image from both CD based
folders
> ..\DOSMAKE\DISK1 and ..\DOSMAKE\DISK2. Are both present in the download
> file?

Not really. The floppies were created from the program itself, once
installed on my desktop. Also, I don't have Nero (I use EZ CD Creator for
my occasional CD burning needs).

> If not, you may want to create the set of the two rescue disks and use
> WinImage (http://wwww.winimage.com) to create an image out of them...?

An interesting option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Don
Photo Website at:
http://www.dlcphotography.net

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 6, 2004 4:36:20 AM

Don Cohen wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
>> Nero is a good candidate in creating a boot image from both CD based
>> folders ..\DOSMAKE\DISK1 and ..\DOSMAKE\DISK2. Are both present in
>> the download file?
>
> Not really. The floppies were created from the program itself, once
> installed on my desktop. Also, I don't have Nero (I use EZ CD
> Creator for my occasional CD burning needs).
Same for EZ Creator to create a boot image based on a bootable floppy
The Nero 6.0 trial is fully functional for a limited period of
time...(http://www.nero.com)

>> If not, you may want to create the set of the two rescue disks and
>> use WinImage (http://www.winimage.com) to create an image out of
>> them...?

address: -w
> An interesting option.