Question: Digital card readers/writers

Does anyone know the answer to this question: Is it possible to
transfer jpg files from a hard disk to compact flash memory via the
various image reader/writers?

TIA
10 answers Last reply
More about question digital card readers writers

    "oldgrey" <oldgrey@gotcha.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know the answer to this question: Is it possible to
    > transfer jpg files from a hard disk to compact flash memory via the
    > various image reader/writers?
    >
    > TIA

    You an upload jpg files, or any other kind of file, to a memory card. It is
    a handy way to carry data between computers that aren't networked. But is
    likely that a camera won't recognize a jpg file if it has been changed in
    any way or came from a different camera.

    Marvin,

    Thanks for the quick response. My plan is to work with either a Canon
    PowerShot Pro 1 or Digital Rebel as the source of the pictures. If
    the pictures are downloaded to my hard drive I might want to take a
    sub set on another chip over to a Sandisk Digital photo viewer to view
    on the TV or Plasma screen. Does this sound doable?

    Thanks,

    > Marvin,
    >

    > Thanks for the quick response. My plan is to work with either a Canon
    > PowerShot Pro 1 or Digital Rebel as the source of the pictures. If
    > the pictures are downloaded to my hard drive I might want to take a
    > sub set on another chip over to a Sandisk Digital photo viewer to view
    > on the TV or Plasma screen. Does this sound doable?
    >
    > Thanks,

    That should work if the Sandisk device can read a compact flash card. I've
    not done it with that particular device.

    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:52:16 -0400, "Marvin Margoshes"
    > <physnospamchem@cloud9.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"oldgrey" <oldgrey@gotcha.net> wrote in message
    > >> Does anyone know the answer to this question: Is it possible to
    > >> transfer jpg files from a hard disk to compact flash memory via the
    > >> various image reader/writers?
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >
    > >You an upload jpg files, or any other kind of file, to a memory card. It
    is
    > >a handy way to carry data between computers that aren't networked. But
    is
    > >likely that a camera won't recognize a jpg file if it has been changed in
    > >any way or came from a different camera.

    >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:49:52 -0700, oldgrey <oldgrey@gotcha.net> wrote:

    >Does anyone know the answer to this question: Is it possible to
    >transfer jpg files from a hard disk to compact flash memory via the
    >various image reader/writers?

    I use my SM and CF cards in the camera and also to move files from my
    desktop to laptop, to other folks computers ... from images to
    virus scanners, driver updates etc (especially when building systems
    or fixing boxes).

    my multi-card reader works great (Lexar) , same for the PNY SM
    and makes sneakernet fairly easy

    My nikon doesn't seem to care, it writes images to a sub folder and
    pretty much ignores anything else

    your mileage might differ

    I haven't uploaded images to the card to see if the nikon can
    recognize them, not something I considered.

    - Ed
    --
    refillable drysuit talc bag $9.95 ppd
    http://www.underwaterusa.com

    I frequently use SM for this purpose and have never had a problem. I
    carry the drivers for my card reader (as well as drivers for other
    devices) on a tiny business card cd so that if I encounter a computer
    that needs them I can load up quickly and get to work.

    Ed wrote:
    >>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:49:52 -0700, oldgrey <oldgrey@gotcha.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone know the answer to this question: Is it possible to
    >>transfer jpg files from a hard disk to compact flash memory via the
    >>various image reader/writers?
    >

    > I use my SM and CF cards in the camera and also to move files from my
    > desktop to laptop, to other folks computers ... from images to
    > virus scanners, driver updates etc (especially when building systems
    > or fixing boxes).
    >
    > my multi-card reader works great (Lexar) , same for the PNY SM
    > and makes sneakernet fairly easy
    >
    > My nikon doesn't seem to care, it writes images to a sub folder and
    > pretty much ignores anything else
    >
    > your mileage might differ
    >
    > I haven't uploaded images to the card to see if the nikon can
    > recognize them, not something I considered.
    >
    > - Ed
    > --
    > refillable drysuit talc bag $9.95 ppd
    > http://www.underwaterusa.com
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:49:52 -0700, oldgrey <oldgrey@gotcha.net> wrote:

    >Does anyone know the answer to this question: Is it possible to
    >transfer jpg files from a hard disk to compact flash memory via the
    >various image reader/writers?

    Yes.

    >TIA

    -Barry
    ========
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Hello,

    you seem to have some knowledge of CF cards.

    I have a problem with a CF card where the directory structure has been
    partially overwritten by the save of the last file (bigger than the
    free space) inside my Nikon Cooplix 2000 digital camera.

    I wish to try to recover the photographs stored on the card. Now I can
    still see the top directory level, but not below (where the pictures
    are stored).

    Would anyone have a link or an idea as on how to read the contents of
    the CF card as a memory block (of 512 MB) from a CF card reader and
    save it as a file to a hard disk ? If I can do that, I plan to search
    the file for any JPEG headers and terminators, and hope to be able to
    save them as JPG files again.

    Alternate solution path would be to try to rewrite the directory
    structure on the CF card, but that sounds more complicated to me.

    Anyone has any experience with CF cards here, or a good referral to
    suggest ? So far I only found the CF+ & CF specification, but it's
    information for card manufacturers, and does not say how to program an
    access to the CF card.

    Many thanks !

    Paul

    --
    PPL
    (pour m'écrire, éliminez le _no_spam_ de mon adresse)

    >On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:41:43 +0200, PPL <paul.plak@_no_spam_.skynet.be> wrote:

    >I have a problem with a CF card where the directory structure has been
    >partially overwritten by the save of the last file (bigger than the
    >free space) inside my Nikon Cooplix 2000 digital camera.
    >
    >I wish to try to recover the photographs stored on the card. Now I can
    >still see the top directory level, but not below (where the pictures
    >are stored).
    >
    >Would anyone have a link or an idea as on how to read the contents of
    >the CF card as a memory block (of 512 MB) from a CF card reader and
    >save it as a file to a hard disk ? If I can do that, I plan to search
    >the file for any JPEG headers and terminators, and hope to be able to
    >save them as JPG files again.
    >
    >Alternate solution path would be to try to rewrite the directory
    >structure on the CF card, but that sounds more complicated to me.
    >
    >Anyone has any experience with CF cards here, or a good referral to
    >suggest ? So far I only found the CF+ & CF specification, but it's
    >information for card manufacturers, and does not say how to program an
    >access to the CF card.
    >
    >Many thanks !
    >
    >Paul

    I take it you are reading the directory structure off of a card reader
    ?

    you might want to review the recovery applications, though I haven;t
    any experience using them (knock on wood I won't need one)

    while many are designed to recovered deleted images, there are a few
    that handle corruption , might be worth trying a freeware app first
    and see if it can poke around and figure it out

    the following are not recommendations, just pointers to what I found
    in a quick google "camera flash recovery"

    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

    http://www.datatexcorp.com/Flash%20Retriever.htm
    --
    refillable drysuit talc bag $9.95 ppd
    http://www.underwaterusa.com
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Ed" <SpammerdontbotherEd.Bell@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    > >On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:41:43 +0200, PPL <paul.plak@_no_spam_.skynet.be>
    wrote:

    > >I have a problem with a CF card where the directory structure has been
    > >partially overwritten by the save of the last file (bigger than the
    > >free space) inside my Nikon Cooplix 2000 digital camera.
    > >
    > >I wish to try to recover the photographs stored on the card. Now I can
    > >still see the top directory level, but not below (where the pictures
    > >are stored).
    > >
    > >Would anyone have a link or an idea as on how to read the contents of
    > >the CF card as a memory block (of 512 MB) from a CF card reader and
    > >save it as a file to a hard disk ? If I can do that, I plan to search
    > >the file for any JPEG headers and terminators, and hope to be able to
    > >save them as JPG files again.
    > >
    > >Alternate solution path would be to try to rewrite the directory
    > >structure on the CF card, but that sounds more complicated to me.
    > >
    > >Anyone has any experience with CF cards here, or a good referral to
    > >suggest ? So far I only found the CF+ & CF specification, but it's
    > >information for card manufacturers, and does not say how to program an
    > >access to the CF card.
    > >
    > >Many thanks !
    > >
    > >Paul
    >
    > I take it you are reading the directory structure off of a card reader
    > ?
    >
    > you might want to review the recovery applications, though I haven;t
    > any experience using them (knock on wood I won't need one)
    >
    > while many are designed to recovered deleted images, there are a few
    > that handle corruption , might be worth trying a freeware app first
    > and see if it can poke around and figure it out
    >
    > the following are not recommendations, just pointers to what I found
    > in a quick google "camera flash recovery"
    >
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html
    >
    > http://www.datatexcorp.com/Flash%20Retriever.htm
    > --
    > refillable drysuit talc bag $9.95 ppd
    > http://www.underwaterusa.com

    This one is also mentioned in the digital camera newsgroups. It is often
    said to be "the best".
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Thank you, I will try to sort it out...

    I can read the directory structure from a CF card reader and from my
    PDA.

    Paul

    --
    PPL
    (pour m'écrire, éliminez le _no_spam_ de mon adresse)

Cameras Compact Flash Hard Drives Memory Peripherals