Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Boutique Sandy Bridge-E PCs Priced From $6K to $13K

Last response: in News comments
November 14, 2011 7:13:08 PM

Ok, I think the term that you pay a large premium for slightly increased performance just got taken to a whole new level.
November 14, 2011 7:16:21 PM

$6000-$8000 needs to include quad/tri-SLi/CF and multiple large SSDs in RAID
November 14, 2011 7:18:22 PM

I think ive started to appreciate my 500 dollar build more, so much cheaper for nearly the same performance....
November 14, 2011 7:22:14 PM

You spend all that money and then the developers make crappy games. Sigh.
November 14, 2011 7:29:12 PM

Save yourself around $3000 and read the Tom's Hardware forums and learn to build/OC yourself.
November 14, 2011 7:30:17 PM

I see no point in buying sandyE just go with the regs and be happy. The tiny increase is not worth it.
November 14, 2011 7:45:34 PM

bleh... wake me up when Ivy Bridge gets here...
Anonymous
November 14, 2011 7:48:30 PM

"...command a premium of at least $500..."
Five Hundred bucks you say? Sounds like great deal to me.
November 14, 2011 7:52:12 PM

If you added up the "extra stuff"

6x 46" 1080p Tvs = around 8k
2x dual GPU video cards (nV or ATI) = 2k
+ RAM CPU, SSD RAID, bad azzz mobo (and all the other ish) = 3k

wheres the other 9k going on the 22k build?????
November 14, 2011 7:55:48 PM

just spotted the specs - dual xeon and workstation graphics cards (x2) would definitely cost a lot more. Still...
November 14, 2011 7:58:29 PM

Under most circumstances, there'd be almost no perceivable difference in the gaming experience between the $22,000 rig and a $2000 home-built rig with an overclocked i5-2500k and a couple of GTX580s.
Anonymous
November 14, 2011 7:58:49 PM

and this is the world we would live in if AMD dies out....
November 14, 2011 8:00:32 PM

festerovicjust spotted the specs - dual xeon and workstation graphics cards (x2) would definitely cost a lot more. Still...
That's true. If you're buying a workstation then yeah, CPU=$1500-2000 each; GPU=$1500-2000 each.
November 14, 2011 8:13:25 PM

why would you buy a pimped out 'work' station?
November 14, 2011 8:24:30 PM

WFT? People are willing to pay these prices for a stupid computer? I'm in the wrong business. Time to start selling highly over priced extreme computers.
November 14, 2011 8:27:10 PM

festerovicwheres the other 9k going on the 22k build?????

Shipping and Handling? Seriously though, for $that price I could use a band new car for the computer's case..

Brand new Nissan Versa - $13k...

November 14, 2011 8:53:05 PM

i painted my antec 300 pearl white myself. i even color sanded it and 2 coats of clear. some one give me 4k for the 3 hrs it took.
November 14, 2011 9:01:30 PM

why buy such expensive PCs when basically all game makers build their games so they can work well on game consoles which use much cheaper hardware?
November 14, 2011 9:34:35 PM

festerovicIf you added up the "extra stuff"6x 46" 1080p Tvs = around 8k2x dual GPU video cards (nV or ATI) = 2k+ RAM CPU, SSD RAID, bad azzz mobo (and all the other ish) = 3kwheres the other 9k going on the 22k build?????

Six hard drive bays, six time 1,300 for 600GB SSD, Intel 320, custom liquid cooling for CPU and GPUs
November 14, 2011 10:17:35 PM

This is what happens when AMD is not competitive.....happy now intel fans?
November 14, 2011 10:18:31 PM

I checked out Origin's website to confirm this - an X79 system with 32GB quad channel RAM, quad liquid-cooled EVGA Frostbite 580 cards, Asus Rampage IV motherboard, and two NEC PA-301 monitors runs you approx $17K, so this is true.
November 14, 2011 10:44:05 PM

trialskingSave yourself around $3000 and read the Tom's Hardware forums and learn to build/OC yourself.

Pretty much. Every build I do goes from $1K-$1500 and is priced at about $4-6K through those guys. Such a rip.
November 14, 2011 11:42:52 PM

Funny part, is they're not even praying on idiots (well sorta) - if you can tie your shoe, you can build your own computer.

Open a guide. Buy a mobo with auto overclock and pretty, uncomplicated BIOS and put RAM where RAM goes according to the nice manuals and countless instructions and guides online.

I could even understand if this was a week job - where it took some serious time - but it doesn't. It literally takes 1 hour or less to build a new computer ( longer if you're dedicated and are in no hurry). Regardless, it's not as if building is boring, it's actually exciting and fun ( at least it is for me).

The fact that you can't invest a few hours to save a $500-$1000+, is beyond retarded.
November 15, 2011 12:40:39 AM

Why so fucking expensive!?!?!?! Has Intel gone mad?!?!?! I know that were in a crisis similar to the great depression, but this is ridiculous.
November 15, 2011 1:54:53 AM

Apple has already patented this.

masterasiaWFT? People are willing to pay these prices for a stupid computer? I'm in the wrong business. Time to start selling highly over priced extreme computers.

November 15, 2011 2:31:54 AM

WhysoBluepandabearThe fact that you can't invest a few hours to save a $500-$1000+, is beyond retarded.

You don't build a system like this in one evening.
Buying a complete system like this saves you at least a day of work, two if you don't already have the knowledge required.
Choosing all the right parts, getting all the parts, screwing it all together, cables, etc., water cooling(!), OS installation, overclocking, stress testing...

If you are in the market for gaming PCs with $4000 worth of hardware inside + the kind of monitor or projector setups that actually require hardware like this, then you probably have better things to do with your free time than to spend it with screwdrivers, water pumps and bios-settings.
November 15, 2011 4:36:30 AM

molo9000 said:
You don't build a system like this in one evening.
Buying a complete system like this saves you at least a day of work, two if you don't already have the knowledge required.
Choosing all the right parts, getting all the parts, screwing it all together, cables, etc., water cooling(!), OS installation, overclocking, stress testing...

If you are in the market for gaming PCs with $4000 worth of hardware inside + the kind of monitor or projector setups that actually require hardware like this, then you probably have better things to do with your free time than to spend it with screwdrivers, water pumps and bios-settings.

If you have better things to do, you can hire me, I will do all the work and save you around 50% and you can pay me a $1000 :D 
November 15, 2011 5:17:26 AM

after seeing prices of these prebuilt enthusiast boutique pcs, i am seeing red.
these are for high end customers only, people who have the money to spend and can take advantage of the performance this (sb-e) platform promises.
for instance, workstation users who don't need xeons, gamers who game, record and stream at the same time - severe multitaskers, not like people who surf internet and play blu ray movies, will get a lot out of these imo.
regular people who want to play around with performance stuff will get more out of lga 1155 anyway.
i might sound like a whiner but amd has got nothing (that is efficient ppw-wise) at this price point or niche. if they had, intel would have thought differently about pricing these so high.
November 15, 2011 5:22:00 AM

festerovicIf you added up the "extra stuff"6x 46" 1080p Tvs = around 8k2x dual GPU video cards (nV or ATI) = 2k+ RAM CPU, SSD RAID, bad azzz mobo (and all the other ish) = 3kwheres the other 9k going on the 22k build?????

that would be going to the "i can say i spent 22k on a computer" portion of the bill.

November 15, 2011 6:33:29 AM

thats not for me !!!
November 15, 2011 7:27:03 AM

Why can't AMD just make something >= in performance to the 3960X? Why, why, why?!
November 15, 2011 7:34:54 AM

molo9000You don't build a system like this in one evening.Buying a complete system like this saves you at least a day of work, two if you don't already have the knowledge required.Choosing all the right parts, getting all the parts, screwing it all together, cables, etc., water cooling(!), OS installation, overclocking, stress testing...If you are in the market for gaming PCs with $4000 worth of hardware inside + the kind of monitor or projector setups that actually require hardware like this, then you probably have better things to do with your free time than to spend it with screwdrivers, water pumps and bios-settings.

So lemme get this straight - you have better things to do in your free time, so you can't be bothered building a gaming rig such as this - but you build a gaming rig for what again? Oh yeah, to game and use your free time to do absolutely nothing, but pop people in the face and shoot aliens.

The whole point of building gaming PCs is so you can play games during your free time, when you having nothing better to do.

So you choose to spend more money, instead of skipping prime time TV - when you had nothing better to do anyways?

People who have no time whatsoever, wouldn't buy or have a gaming rig regardless. The people who want this have more than enough free time, or else this would be a completely useless item they'd never get to use.

Gaming rigs in particular are the type of things you shouldn't see as work, or some tedious task that you can't be bothered with. It's on the same level as people who work on their cars, so they can take them out and enjoy the work they've done. Buying everything and doing absolutely nothing yourself doesn't hold anywhere near the same satisfaction and accomplishment as building it yourself.
November 15, 2011 8:18:21 AM

WhysoBluepandabearSo lemme get this straight - you have better things to do in your free time, so you can't be bothered building a gaming rig such as this - but you build a gaming rig for what again? Oh yeah, to game and use your free time to do absolutely nothing, but pop people in the face and shoot aliens. The whole point of building gaming PCs is so you can play games during your free time, when you having nothing better to do. So you choose to spend more money, instead of skipping prime time TV - when you had nothing better to do anyways? People who have no time whatsoever, wouldn't buy or have a gaming rig regardless. The people who want this have more than enough free time, or else this would be a completely useless item they'd never get to use. Gaming rigs in particular are the type of things you shouldn't see as work, or some tedious task that you can't be bothered with. It's on the same level as people who work on their cars, so they can take them out and enjoy the work they've done. Buying everything and doing absolutely nothing yourself doesn't hold anywhere near the same satisfaction and accomplishment as building it yourself.

Well said
November 15, 2011 9:19:10 AM

WhysoBluepandabearSo lemme get this straight - you have better things to do in your free time, so you can't be bothered building a gaming rig such as this - but you build a gaming rig for what again? Oh yeah, to game and use your free time to do absolutely nothing, but pop people in the face and shoot aliens. The whole point of building gaming PCs is so you can play games during your free time, when you having nothing better to do. So you choose to spend more money, instead of skipping prime time TV - when you had nothing better to do anyways? People who have no time whatsoever, wouldn't buy or have a gaming rig regardless. The people who want this have more than enough free time, or else this would be a completely useless item they'd never get to use. Gaming rigs in particular are the type of things you shouldn't see as work, or some tedious task that you can't be bothered with. It's on the same level as people who work on their cars, so they can take them out and enjoy the work they've done. Buying everything and doing absolutely nothing yourself doesn't hold anywhere near the same satisfaction and accomplishment as building it yourself.

I don't think you understand who buys $5000+ gaming rigs and 3-4 grand worth of monitors that go with a setup like that.

Sure, there are hardcore enthusiasts among those people, but I'd say the majority of people, who spend 8-10grand on gaming hardware, are not really enthusiasts, but simply rich enough to afford anything. They just don't care about $1000 less or more.
November 15, 2011 9:38:11 AM

Quote:
Sure, there are hardcore enthusiasts among those people, but I'd say the majority of people, who spend 8-10grand on gaming hardware, are not really enthusiasts, but simply rich enough to afford anything. They just don't care about $1000 less or more.

Well, that's quite true...
November 15, 2011 11:20:51 AM

rahulkadukarIf you have better things to do, you can hire me, I will do all the work and save you around 50% and you can pay me a $1000

What kind of warranty will you offer?

That's the other half of the equation.
November 15, 2011 11:46:20 AM

These prices are why I support AMD. IMHO, if AMD dies, these prices will be considered cheap.
November 15, 2011 11:56:08 AM

balisterWhat Xeon are you actually looking at? You can get pretty good Xeons for a workstation for $500 to $600 a piece.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819117256http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819117252
I'm just looking at my own workstation that I'm "working" on right now. It's an HP Z800 with two Xeon 5680s ($1640 ea.), and a Quadro FX4800 ($1550). I'm sure there are cheaper workstation class bits, but there are also less demanding workloads for them. When I'm not commenting here I have very large mechanical assemblies on multiple displays so I need the goods.
November 15, 2011 12:30:39 PM

How come when you watch a show like "Cribs" or the CMT rip-off, you don't see celebrities with machines like these in their living room instead of a PS3/Xbox and a 60 inch TV. If I was rich......^
November 15, 2011 1:37:17 PM

billybobserwhy would you buy a pimped out 'work' station?

There is a lot of money to be made in high end tricked out systems. I but 3 to 4 mostly home theater type. They can bring a 150 to 200% mark up.
November 16, 2011 12:27:03 AM

$6K to $13K...ridiculous platform commands a ridiculous price!
November 16, 2011 3:30:20 AM

It will take much more than a hard drive shortage for sellers to (attempt to) justify these prices.
That 3960x isn't much faster than or sometimes slower than the 2600kfor all but the most heavily threaded tasks in which case you could buy/build a dual Xeon or Opteron board with similar or possibly greater performance for less. Okay, maybe not Xeons but definitely with Opterons.

Windows server 2008r2 fixes the scheduling problem that windows 7 and older have with Bulldozer so the 8 or 16 core Opterons are actually extremely fast compared to the previous generation, just do a Google search for the dell server that had doubled CPU performance by switching from the Magny-Cours to Interlagos.

Point is that $1000 or so for a CPU that is similar in performance to the $220 and $320 CPUs from earlier this year in all but the most threaded apps and admittedly much faster in those heavily apps but not enough to triple the price is going to far, just like with the 980x and 990x being considerably slower than those $220 and $320 processors in all but the most threaded apps but still priced at or above $1000.

The markets I see benefiting from such processors would be better suited using two much cheaper processors for a somewhat lower price. Gaming sees little to no benefit from Intel's six core processors thus far over the sandy bridge quad cores besides the extra PCIe lanes. Also consider the heat coming out from the 3960x.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to have a system built around the 3960x, just that I don't want to pay for it and there are better options available even in the places where it really shines. I could be wrong but any app that can utilize all 12 threads on this behemoth can utilize the 8 or 16 in the new Otperons just as well and really, the price/performance is undoubtedly better that way.

Really, correct me if I'm wrong but I just don't see this processor offering enough incentive at this price point for anyone that truly researches their options. I do admit that the 8 RAM slot boards would be nice with 8x4GB modules but the only such board on Newegg when I checked a few hours ago costs around $450, coupled with the $1000 from the processor and you would be getting more for your money sticking with a current z68 and i5-2500k/i7-2600k combo with 4x8GB modules to get 32GB instead. To get more than 32GB would again, be cheaper using an Opteron board that supports regular DIMMs and even though I don't know for sure if they do I find it likely that most if not all boards would support standard DIMMs. Well, that's my two cents and more but I wanted to get it all out.
!