My USB drive won't work anymore. Please help.

Hello,

I hope someone here can help me fix a malfunctioning USB disk. It's a
200 GB USB disk from Lacie, with a Maxtor 6 Y200P0 inside. 3 days ago,
it wouldn't work anymore. I'll try to describe all the symtoms.

There are 4 partitions on the drive, all with data in. In the best case,
Windows XP SP2 finds all 4 but only 2 has their real names. The 2 others
have the names "Local Disk I:" and "Local Disk K:", and they show no
files or folders. Windows doesn't even show their capcity. When I try to
get to them from a console window (cmd.exe) I get the message "The
system cannot find the file specified." Not "The system cannot find the
*drive* specified." as expected.

In those partitions with correct names, the folder structure is not
complete. In the best case, I can copy *some* files, but with most, I
get the message: "Error Copying File or Folder: Cannot copy [...]:
Cannot read from the source file or disk." Then there's a warning
message in the system tray telling me: "Windows - Delayed Write
Failed: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file L:\$Mft.
The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
elsewhere."

Another symptom is that once started, I can't stop the drive in Windows
from the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray. It always
says: "Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device: The device 'Generic
volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."

I bought Spinrite 6.0, because I heard it may fix faulty harddrives.
With a speed of <1 MB / second it takes days of non-stop work to get
through a 200 GB drive. After 2 partitions (~70 GB), I gave up. Spinrite
had found no errors at all. I ran it with default settings for recovery
(Level 2).

I don't know what to make of it. If my drive is so healthy, why doesn't
it work in Windows anymore? Could it be that the files are there, but
the harddisk has forgotten exactly where? Is so, maybe Spinrite is not
the tool to use?

I also tried to connect the drive to a Linux computer (SuSE 8.2
med KDE). Linux finds only 1 partition, and that's one that Windows
don't find. It also finds (as far as I can tell) all the files on that
partition.

Here's a screen dump from Windows Explorer with the 4 partitions marked:

http://www.algonet.se/~gustafl/temp/Image2.gif

Gustaf

Gustaf,

Can you try copying files over that are all less than 1Mb in size and
see if you have any problems? I bought a USB key today and I get
exactly the same symptoms if I copy files over 1Mb in size but it
works perfectly if the files are smallar than 1Mb.

Regards,

William