Newbie RAID questions

I have recently discovered the need to build a mass storage device and
am looking at building a RAID 5 sytem. Speed is not as important as
redundancy because this will be a personal server that will be used by
myself and family/friends. I'm thinking of having a seperate disk
(not part of the RAID subsystem) to install the OS and just have the
RAID as the data storage.

I was going to get a RocketRAID 454 from newegg.com but had some
specific questions.

1) If my motherboard fails, will I be able to transfer the RAID card
and disks (in their proper order) to another computer and keep the
data in tact? I fear that one of the default functions of a RAID
driver is to format the hard disks on a new or re-install, but,
because I'm new to RAID, I don't know all of the nuances.

2) is RAID cross-compatible? if I find a better card (and they exist
for quite a bit of money), can the card just be replaced if I keep the
same RAID configuration or are there usually/always proprietary issues
involved that would make this impossible?

Any additional information would be greatly appeciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about newbie raid questions

    "tommy" <tommynospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently discovered the need to build a mass storage device and
    > am looking at building a RAID 5 sytem. Speed is not as important as
    > redundancy because this will be a personal server that will be used by
    > myself and family/friends.

    Then more important than redundancy is a good backup scheme.

    > I'm thinking of having a seperate disk
    > (not part of the RAID subsystem) to install the OS and just have the
    > RAID as the data storage.

    Why not the OS there too?

    > I was going to get a RocketRAID 454 from newegg.com but had some
    > specific questions.
    >
    > 1) If my motherboard fails, will I be able to transfer the RAID card
    > and disks (in their proper order) to another computer and keep the
    > data in tact?

    Usually, yes.

    > I fear that one of the default functions of a RAID
    > driver is to format the hard disks on a new or re-install, but,
    > because I'm new to RAID, I don't know all of the nuances.
    >
    > 2) is RAID cross-compatible? if I find a better card (and they exist
    > for quite a bit of money), can the card just be replaced if I keep the
    > same RAID configuration or are there usually/always proprietary issues
    > involved that would make this impossible?

    Assume propietary issues will block such. Backup old RAID..restore to new
    RAID.
    You gotta have that backup anyway.

    > Any additional information would be greatly appeciated.

    In article <4f0df91b.0410050632.36892217
    @posting.google.com>, tommynospam@yahoo.com says...
    > I have recently discovered the need to build a mass storage device and
    > am looking at building a RAID 5 sytem. Speed is not as important as
    > redundancy because this will be a personal server that will be used by
    > myself and family/friends. I'm thinking of having a seperate disk
    > (not part of the RAID subsystem) to install the OS and just have the
    > RAID as the data storage.

    Normally you put the O/S on a RAID1 pair and the data on
    a second RAID (either RAID1 or RAID5). It still doesn't
    solve the back up issue.

    > I was going to get a RocketRAID 454 from newegg.com but had some
    > specific questions.
    >
    > 1) If my motherboard fails, will I be able to transfer the RAID card
    > and disks (in their proper order) to another computer and keep the
    > data in tact? I fear that one of the default functions of a RAID
    > driver is to format the hard disks on a new or re-install, but,
    > because I'm new to RAID, I don't know all of the nuances.

    Yes.

    > 2) is RAID cross-compatible? if I find a better card (and they exist
    > for quite a bit of money), can the card just be replaced if I keep the
    > same RAID configuration or are there usually/always proprietary issues
    > involved that would make this impossible?

    RAID cards are often not cross-compatible... usually you
    buy (3) of a particular model. One to use, one as a
    spare, and the 3rd stored somewhere else.

    Now for general rambling... let's say you need lots of
    storage, but not more then 200GB in a single spot.
    You're also not concerned about downtime too much as
    long as you can pull stuff back from backups. Here's
    how I might set things up:

    System A (main storage):

    2x250 GB 7200rpm 8MB 3yr warranty, RAID1
    - O/S gets a 24GB partition, rest of drive as data,
    mostly for user storage

    1x250 GB 7200rpm 8MB 3yr warranty no-RAID
    - "scratch drive", use it to store ripped media,
    downloaded files, temporary files, nothing on this drive
    gets backed up

    Maybe add a second "scratch" drive if needed

    System B (backup storage):
    - older, slower box

    2x30GB drives for the O/S, RAID1
    - could also do 2x250

    1x250GB
    - backup drive 1, data from the primary system should be
    rsync'd across daily, deleted files should be dumped to
    another directory somewhere

    1x250GB
    - backup drive 2, even more storage to do rsync from the
    main system daily (or hourly)

    (add additional backup drives as needed)

    "Toshi1873" <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > In article <4f0df91b.0410050632.36892217
    > @posting.google.com>, tommynospam@yahoo.com says...
    > > I have recently discovered the need to build a mass storage device and
    > > am looking at building a RAID 5 sytem. Speed is not as important as
    > > redundancy because this will be a personal server that will be used by
    > > myself and family/friends. I'm thinking of having a seperate disk
    > > (not part of the RAID subsystem) to install the OS and just have the
    > > RAID as the data storage.
    >
    > Normally you put the O/S on a RAID1 pair and the data on
    > a second RAID (either RAID1 or RAID5). It still doesn't
    > solve the back up issue.

    "Normally"...no.

    > > I'm thinking of having a seperate disk
    > > (not part of the RAID subsystem) to install the OS and just have the
    > > RAID as the data storage.
    >
    > Why not the OS there too?

    I wanted to do this because I wanted to keep the data disks os-free in
    case I needed to transfer the raid to a computer already built that
    does not have the same hardware configuration.

NAS / RAID Storage