Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
format) the player appears on the captured image no
problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers

Not sure what you are asking here.

Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
What app are you using?
What are you doing to accomplish the act?
Graham
--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
> format) the player appears on the captured image no
> problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
> as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
> programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
> 2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers

Razor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

i am having the exact same problem...no matter what program i use the pictures i capture just save as a black picture...or the actual video is playing in the saved picture area......how do we fix this problem????

i have been trying to capture a still shot from video...i have been pausing the video and using different screen capture programs and also have tried using alt/print screen and they all give the same result...a black/dark area where the actual capture should be..i was beginning to think there was something wrong with my computer or i had a virus

thanks in advance to anyone who has a resolution to this problem

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> Not sure what you are asking here.
>
> Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
> What app are you using?
> What are you doing to accomplish the act?
> Graham
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.simplydv.co.uk
>
> "Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
> > format) the player appears on the captured image no
> > problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
> > as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
> > programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
> > 2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers

If you can answer the questions I posed earlier, it will help.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"razor" <razor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i am having the exact same problem...no matter what program i use the
pictures i capture just save as a black picture...or the actual video is
playing in the saved picture area......how do we fix this problem????

> i have been trying to capture a still shot from video...i have been
pausing the video and using different screen capture programs and also have
tried using alt/print screen and they all give the same result...a
black/dark area where the actual capture should be..i was beginning to think
there was something wrong with my computer or i had a virus

> thanks in advance to anyone who has a resolution to this problem
>
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
>
> > Not sure what you are asking here.
> >
> > Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
> > What app are you using?
> > What are you doing to accomplish the act?
> > Graham
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> >
> > "Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
> > > format) the player appears on the captured image no
> > > problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
> > > as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
> > > programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
> > > 2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> If you can answer the questions I posed earlier, it will help.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "razor" <razor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i am having the exact same problem...no matter what program i use the
> pictures i capture just save as a black picture...or the actual video is
> playing in the saved picture area......how do we fix this problem????
> >
> > i have been trying to capture a still shot from video...i have been
> pausing the video and using different screen capture programs and also have
> tried using alt/print screen and they all give the same result...a
> black/dark area where the actual capture should be..i was beginning to think
> there was something wrong with my computer or i had a virus
> >
> > thanks in advance to anyone who has a resolution to this problem
> >
> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure what you are asking here.
> > >
> > > Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
> > > What app are you using?
> > > What are you doing to accomplish the act?
> > > Graham
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > >
> > > "Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

I hope someone answers Mr.Hughes and the others.I have the exact
problem.Video freeze-frames will not print. I get a black box where the
picture should be.My routine was print
screen-programs-accessories-paint-edit-paste-save as-desktop-file save as
jpeg-realscreenshot .This actually worked for awhile.When I started using
Windows Video Player my routine quite working, but I have not been able to
find a new one. Now ,its the black box every time. I'm suspicious its the
bit screen (i.e.realscreenshot, or whatever you use as the save)that's not
correct.

Craig

I have this problem too.
1) YES! I am trying to get a still from a Quicktime/Media Player movie clip.
2) I tried using print screen and also SnagIt. Both ways I can capture the
whole screen, except for the video part, which turns out black.
3) Err. Refer to 2. I KNOW HOW TO USE PRINTSCREEN. That's just in case
someone assumes that I don't. I hit PrtSc then I paste the contents of the
clipboard. Once again, only the video area appears black. The same goes for
SnagIt.

So my question is: how does one go about capturing stills from a video file?
In particularly .wmv, .rm and .mpg files? Is there some magical method that
we mortals know not of?

How do I capture a still in "Windows Movie Maker"?

"Craig" wrote:

> I have this problem too.
> 1) YES! I am trying to get a still from a Quicktime/Media Player movie clip.
> 2) I tried using print screen and also SnagIt. Both ways I can capture the
> whole screen, except for the video part, which turns out black.
> 3) Err. Refer to 2. I KNOW HOW TO USE PRINTSCREEN. That's just in case
> someone assumes that I don't. I hit PrtSc then I paste the contents of the
> clipboard. Once again, only the video area appears black. The same goes for
> SnagIt.
>
> So my question is: how does one go about capturing stills from a video file?
> In particularly .wmv, .rm and .mpg files? Is there some magical method that
> we mortals know not of?

When you're playing/previewing a movie, the right-most button in the player
window there is of a little camera. Use it. =)

See http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
Now Playing: "Space Van" by "Glide" in WMP10.