Stills capture?!?

Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
format) the player appears on the captured image no
problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers
7 answers Last reply
More about stills capture

    Not sure what you are asking here.

    Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
    What app are you using?
    What are you doing to accomplish the act?
    Graham
    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
    > format) the player appears on the captured image no
    > problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
    > as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
    > programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
    > 2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers

    i am having the exact same problem...no matter what program i use the pictures i capture just save as a black picture...or the actual video is playing in the saved picture area......how do we fix this problem????

    i have been trying to capture a still shot from video...i have been pausing the video and using different screen capture programs and also have tried using alt/print screen and they all give the same result...a black/dark area where the actual capture should be..i was beginning to think there was something wrong with my computer or i had a virus

    thanks in advance to anyone who has a resolution to this problem

    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

    > Not sure what you are asking here.
    >
    > Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
    > What app are you using?
    > What are you doing to accomplish the act?
    > Graham
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    >
    > "Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
    > > format) the player appears on the captured image no
    > > problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
    > > as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
    > > programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
    > > 2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers

    If you can answer the questions I posed earlier, it will help.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    "razor" <razor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i am having the exact same problem...no matter what program i use the
    pictures i capture just save as a black picture...or the actual video is
    playing in the saved picture area......how do we fix this problem????

    > i have been trying to capture a still shot from video...i have been
    pausing the video and using different screen capture programs and also have
    tried using alt/print screen and they all give the same result...a
    black/dark area where the actual capture should be..i was beginning to think
    there was something wrong with my computer or i had a virus

    > thanks in advance to anyone who has a resolution to this problem
    >
    > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure what you are asking here.
    > >
    > > Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
    > > What app are you using?
    > > What are you doing to accomplish the act?
    > > Graham
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > >
    > > "Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Every time I try still-capture on XP Home (with any movie
    > > > format) the player appears on the captured image no
    > > > problem, but the movie area (the bit I want) just appears
    > > > as a black box. I've tried loads of different screen-grab
    > > > programs. Any ideas please??? I'm using a Compaq Presario
    > > > 2504 laptop, ATI Radeon Mobility card, XP Home. Cheers

    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

    > If you can answer the questions I posed earlier, it will help.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > "razor" <razor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i am having the exact same problem...no matter what program i use the
    > pictures i capture just save as a black picture...or the actual video is
    > playing in the saved picture area......how do we fix this problem????
    > >
    > > i have been trying to capture a still shot from video...i have been
    > pausing the video and using different screen capture programs and also have
    > tried using alt/print screen and they all give the same result...a
    > black/dark area where the actual capture should be..i was beginning to think
    > there was something wrong with my computer or i had a virus
    > >
    > > thanks in advance to anyone who has a resolution to this problem
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Not sure what you are asking here.
    > > >
    > > > Are you trying to capture a still frame from a movie?
    > > > What app are you using?
    > > > What are you doing to accomplish the act?
    > > > Graham
    > > > --
    > > > Graham Hughes
    > > > MVP Digital Media
    > > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > > >
    > > > "Stig" <cyberhippy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    I hope someone answers Mr.Hughes and the others.I have the exact
    problem.Video freeze-frames will not print. I get a black box where the
    picture should be.My routine was print
    screen-programs-accessories-paint-edit-paste-save as-desktop-file save as
    jpeg-realscreenshot .This actually worked for awhile.When I started using
    Windows Video Player my routine quite working, but I have not been able to
    find a new one. Now ,its the black box every time. I'm suspicious its the
    bit screen (i.e.realscreenshot, or whatever you use as the save)that's not
    correct.

    I have this problem too.
    1) YES! I am trying to get a still from a Quicktime/Media Player movie clip.
    2) I tried using print screen and also SnagIt. Both ways I can capture the
    whole screen, except for the video part, which turns out black.
    3) Err. Refer to 2. I KNOW HOW TO USE PRINTSCREEN. That's just in case
    someone assumes that I don't. I hit PrtSc then I paste the contents of the
    clipboard. Once again, only the video area appears black. The same goes for
    SnagIt.

    So my question is: how does one go about capturing stills from a video file?
    In particularly .wmv, .rm and .mpg files? Is there some magical method that
    we mortals know not of?

    How do I capture a still in "Windows Movie Maker"?

    "Craig" wrote:

    > I have this problem too.
    > 1) YES! I am trying to get a still from a Quicktime/Media Player movie clip.
    > 2) I tried using print screen and also SnagIt. Both ways I can capture the
    > whole screen, except for the video part, which turns out black.
    > 3) Err. Refer to 2. I KNOW HOW TO USE PRINTSCREEN. That's just in case
    > someone assumes that I don't. I hit PrtSc then I paste the contents of the
    > clipboard. Once again, only the video area appears black. The same goes for
    > SnagIt.
    >
    > So my question is: how does one go about capturing stills from a video file?
    > In particularly .wmv, .rm and .mpg files? Is there some magical method that
    > we mortals know not of?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    When you're playing/previewing a movie, the right-most button in the player
    window there is of a little camera. Use it. =)

    See http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
    Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
    Now Playing: "Space Van" by "Glide" in WMP10.
    --

    "VanDyke" <VanDyke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I capture a still in "Windows Movie Maker"?
    >
    > "Craig" wrote:
    >
    >> I have this problem too.
    >> 1) YES! I am trying to get a still from a Quicktime/Media Player movie
    >> clip.
    >> 2) I tried using print screen and also SnagIt. Both ways I can capture
    >> the
    >> whole screen, except for the video part, which turns out black.
    >> 3) Err. Refer to 2. I KNOW HOW TO USE PRINTSCREEN. That's just in case
    >> someone assumes that I don't. I hit PrtSc then I paste the contents of
    >> the
    >> clipboard. Once again, only the video area appears black. The same goes
    >> for
    >> SnagIt.
    >>
    >> So my question is: how does one go about capturing stills from a video
    >> file?
    >> In particularly .wmv, .rm and .mpg files? Is there some magical method
    >> that
    >> we mortals know not of?

Video Movies Windows XP