will two APs talk to each other?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 12, 2004 4:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking (More info?)

hello all,

I am implementing a software, which will grab data from an AP and forward
all packets to another PC. It looks like:

Access Point---->A----->B

The connection relis on WiFi. The serious problem is, the WiFi adapter on A
works in infrastructure mode when talking to Access Point, and it changes to
Ad-hoc mode when talking to B. As far as I know, there is no way to change
mode so frequently and does not lose any packets.

I came across an idea when I searching online. It seems possible to config
(maybe through some coding) A to be an access point. Thus A can talk to B in
infrastrure mode. but,..... can A talk to the real Access Point?

Thanks,,
Eric

More about : aps talk

August 15, 2004 7:51:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Yes, read the user manual and it will give you the method for that particular
brand / model / type.

"Eric" wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I am implementing a software, which will grab data from an AP and forward
> all packets to another PC. It looks like:
>
> Access Point---->A----->B
>
> The connection relis on WiFi. The serious problem is, the WiFi adapter on A
> works in infrastructure mode when talking to Access Point, and it changes to
> Ad-hoc mode when talking to B. As far as I know, there is no way to change
> mode so frequently and does not lose any packets.
>
> I came across an idea when I searching online. It seems possible to config
> (maybe through some coding) A to be an access point. Thus A can talk to B in
> infrastrure mode. but,..... can A talk to the real Access Point?
>

> Thanks,,
> Eric

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 17, 2004 5:12:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking (More info?)

Hi,
If you want two APs to talk to each another you need a different kind of
product : a wireless bridge (see for example DLink).
Changing mode from infrastructure to adhoc for each packet with stock adapters/drivers is impossible.

--PA

"Eric" <eric.yun@meta4hand.com> wrote in message news:eRONByJgEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> hello all,
>
> I am implementing a software, which will grab data from an AP and forward
> all packets to another PC. It looks like:
>
> Access Point---->A----->B
>
> The connection relis on WiFi. The serious problem is, the WiFi adapter on A
> works in infrastructure mode when talking to Access Point, and it changes to
> Ad-hoc mode when talking to B. As far as I know, there is no way to change
> mode so frequently and does not lose any packets.
>
> I came across an idea when I searching online. It seems possible to config
> (maybe through some coding) A to be an access point. Thus A can talk to B in
> infrastrure mode. but,..... can A talk to the real Access Point?
>

> Thanks,,
> Eric

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 17, 2004 2:13:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking (More info?)

Hi Pavel,

I found some routers can work under "repeater" mode--it connects one AP and
one PC. So I though it is possible to write an appliction and it will work
in repeater mode, although it may be very difficult. But you mentioned it is
impossible, could you explain your opinion a little bit?

Thanks,

Eric

!