Ghost 9 Network hassles...

Howdy,

I cannot seem to find my network to restore with Ghost 9 (or Drive
Image 7, or V2i Protector.)

If in Ghost 9 if I boot from the recovery CD and attempt to configure
the network, here's what I get:

The Network configuration dialog shows -

"No network configuration was detected."

The netcard name is displayed correctly, but is grayed out.

IP #1 displays correctly
Subnet #1 displays correctly

IP #2 displays 0.0.0.0.
Subnet #2 displays 0.0.0.0.

How should I proceed to get this thing to see the network properly?

Thanks for any assistance,

--
Kenneth

More about ghost network hassles

    When you finally run "System Restore Wizard", go to Open, using "Look in"
    scroll to "My Network Places" and select right server, share, Log In,
    navigate to the right image file.

    But I have found this method (from Ghost 9 recovery disk) extremely slow (5
    min to get started); error prone (ghost8 images reported as corrupted) and
    limited (have to have PC with at least 256MB ram, cannot create image,
    etc.).
    I can start restoring my disk in 30 seconds after cold boot using the old
    Ghost8 boot CD (custom made).

    I think naming this software as Ghost9 is a huge disgrace to the original
    product we are all familiar with.

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:41:45 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >When you finally run "System Restore Wizard", go to Open, using "Look in"
    >scroll to "My Network Places" and select right server, share, Log In,
    >navigate to the right image file.
    >
    >But I have found this method (from Ghost 9 recovery disk) extremely slow (5
    >min to get started); error prone (ghost8 images reported as corrupted) and
    >limited (have to have PC with at least 256MB ram, cannot create image,
    >etc.).
    >I can start restoring my disk in 30 seconds after cold boot using the old
    >Ghost8 boot CD (custom made).
    >
    >I think naming this software as Ghost9 is a huge disgrace to the original
    >product we are all familiar with.
    >
    >"Kenneth" <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Howdy,
    >>
    >> I cannot seem to find my network to restore with Ghost 9 (or Drive
    >> Image 7, or V2i Protector.)
    >>
    >> If in Ghost 9 if I boot from the recovery CD and attempt to configure
    >> the network, here's what I get:
    >>
    >> The Network configuration dialog shows -
    >>
    >> "No network configuration was detected."
    >>
    >> The netcard name is displayed correctly, but is grayed out.
    >>
    >> IP #1 displays correctly
    >> Subnet #1 displays correctly
    >>
    >> IP #2 displays 0.0.0.0.
    >> Subnet #2 displays 0.0.0.0.
    >>
    >> How should I proceed to get this thing to see the network properly?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any assistance,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kenneth
    >>
    >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    Hello, and thanks...

    It now appears that my problem may be that my NIC is not on the
    supported list...

    According to that list, I can "manually" load the driver by hitting F6
    when booting from the recovery CD. I have not had the opportunity to
    experiment with this.

    Might you know what I should expect when trying to load the driver
    manually?

    Any assistance in advance would be most appreciated,

    --
    Kenneth

    F6 is for Mass Storage drivers, not for NICs as far as I know.
    Where did you read that instruction?

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:40:46 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >F6 is for Mass Storage drivers, not for NICs as far as I know.
    >Where did you read that instruction?
    >
    >"Kenneth" <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:41:45 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >When you finally run "System Restore Wizard", go to Open, using "Look
    >in"
    >> >scroll to "My Network Places" and select right server, share, Log In,
    >> >navigate to the right image file.
    >> >
    >> >But I have found this method (from Ghost 9 recovery disk) extremely slow
    >(5
    >> >min to get started); error prone (ghost8 images reported as corrupted)
    >and
    >> >limited (have to have PC with at least 256MB ram, cannot create image,
    >> >etc.).
    >> >I can start restoring my disk in 30 seconds after cold boot using the old
    >> >Ghost8 boot CD (custom made).
    >> >
    >> >I think naming this software as Ghost9 is a huge disgrace to the original
    >> >product we are all familiar with.
    >> >
    >> >"Kenneth" <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message

    >> Hello, and thanks...
    >>
    >> It now appears that my problem may be that my NIC is not on the
    >> supported list...
    >>
    >> According to that list, I can "manually" load the driver by hitting F6
    >> when booting from the recovery CD. I have not had the opportunity to
    >> experiment with this.
    >>
    >> Might you know what I should expect when trying to load the driver
    >> manually?
    >>
    >> Any assistance in advance would be most appreciated,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kenneth
    >>
    >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    Hi Peter,

    I checked it again, and, of course, you are correct.

    The PDF that lists the supported NICs says that if my card is not on
    the list, and is not automatically detected, I should contact
    Technical Support.

    I was on the phone with the "technical" folks yesterday for about 90
    minutes. In truth, thus far, the folks with whom I have spoken know
    less about the product than I...

    Thanks for any further thoughts,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
    >The PDF that lists the supported NICs says that if my card is not on
    >the list, and is not automatically detected, I should contact
    >Technical Support.
    >
    >I was on the phone with the "technical" folks yesterday for about 90
    >minutes. In truth, thus far, the folks with whom I have spoken know
    >less about the product than I...
    >
    >Thanks for any further thoughts,

    This is not a very elegant solution, but a Linksys or DLink PCI
    network card should only cost you about $20.

    John . wrote:

    > Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
    >>The PDF that lists the supported NICs says that if my card is not on
    >>the list, and is not automatically detected, I should contact
    >>Technical Support.
    >>
    >>I was on the phone with the "technical" folks yesterday for about 90
    >>minutes. In truth, thus far, the folks with whom I have spoken know
    >>less about the product than I...
    >>
    >>Thanks for any further thoughts,
    >>

    > This is not a very elegant solution, but a Linksys or DLink PCI
    > network card should only cost you about $20.

    Just make sure it's on the list. And I'd avoid Linksys--they may have
    changed but at one time they shipped several different boards with
    different chipsets and different drivers under the same model number, so
    getting the board from the supported list doesn't guarantee that the board
    is the one that is supported.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:37:51 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:

    >Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
    >>The PDF that lists the supported NICs says that if my card is not on
    >>the list, and is not automatically detected, I should contact
    >>Technical Support.
    >>
    >>I was on the phone with the "technical" folks yesterday for about 90
    >>minutes. In truth, thus far, the folks with whom I have spoken know
    >>less about the product than I...
    >>
    >>Thanks for any further thoughts,
    >>

    >This is not a very elegant solution, but a Linksys or DLink PCI
    >network card should only cost you about $20.

    Hi John,

    It is a perfectly appropriate solution, but...

    I tried booting from the G9 CD on the machine that contains the images
    that I would like to access. That machine happens to have a recognized
    NIC.

    After booting from the CD on that box, when I go into Network
    Configuration, it displays "No network configuration detected" though
    it does properly display the NIC.

    On the original machine, it displays "No network configuration
    detected" with the card name grayed out.

    Might you help me to understand how to proceed with the "No network
    configuration detected" problem?

    Thanks as before,

    --
    Kenneth

    Message "No network configuration WAS detected" means that DHCP attempt to
    allocate IP address failed. You simply do not have working DHCP server on
    your network segment.
    You have to configure a Static IP address. See Ghost9 manual on "Getting a
    static IP address". Or simply select "IP #1" ->Modify ->enter
    www.xxx.yyy.zzz ip, 255.255.255.0 mask ->OK. Use "Ping Remote Computer" to
    see if it works.

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >Message "No network configuration WAS detected" means that DHCP attempt to
    >allocate IP address failed. You simply do not have working DHCP server on
    >your network segment.
    >You have to configure a Static IP address. See Ghost9 manual on "Getting a
    >static IP address". Or simply select "IP #1" ->Modify ->enter
    >www.xxx.yyy.zzz ip, 255.255.255.0 mask ->OK. Use "Ping Remote Computer" to
    >see if it works.
    >
    >"Kenneth" <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message

    >> >This is not a very elegant solution, but a Linksys or DLink PCI
    >> >network card should only cost you about $20.
    >> >

    >> Hi John,
    >>
    >> It is a perfectly appropriate solution, but...
    >>
    >> I tried booting from the G9 CD on the machine that contains the images
    >> that I would like to access. That machine happens to have a recognized
    >> NIC.
    >>
    >> After booting from the CD on that box, when I go into Network
    >> Configuration, it displays "No network configuration detected" though
    >> it does properly display the NIC.
    >>
    >> On the original machine, it displays "No network configuration
    >> detected" with the card name grayed out.
    >>
    >> Might you help me to understand how to proceed with the "No network
    >> configuration detected" problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks as before,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kenneth
    >>
    >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    Hi Peter,

    I was confused by the "No network configuration detected" because
    below that it showed what appeared to be a proper IP address for #1.

    Am I correct that for the two systems to see each other, they need
    unique IP addresses assigned, but need identical subnet masks?

    Also, can you explain to me the fact that when I am booting from the
    G9 CD in the network configuration dialog there are listings for "#1"
    and "#2".

    Are those the two systems? That is, suppose I boot with the CD on
    system "JOE" and have the image I wish to restore residing on system
    "BILL".

    Would I then enter the config information for system "JOE" as #1 on
    both machines and enter the config information for system "BILL" as #2
    on both machines?

    I do know that once I manage to get this to work it will appear to be
    the simplest thing in the world, but for now, I am a bit too confused.

    Thanks for any further assistance...

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

    Before I go into detail, can you describe your network environment?
    Hub/switch, how many devices you have, IP addresses, etc. That will
    determine the best configuration of your two PC's (Ghost client PC and Ghost
    Image Storage PC). That is because you seem to have a little hesitation in
    assigning IP addresses in your network.
    Another question. Did you ever created a network share on one PC and
    connected to it from another PC? It is just for me to understand what
    experience you have.... ;-)

    Yes, I have asked you for IPCONFIG /ALL information when you boot your PC
    normally, i.e. without using Ghost CD. And your answer was good. It seems
    there is a DHCP server on your network, and most likely it is your Linksys
    "switch" or router. It would be good if you can provide their model numbers
    for a reference.

    Now, to make sure you have network connectivity when running Windows (not
    Ghost CD), boot system A and B normally. Find out what are their IP
    addresses by using IPCONFIG. Let say box A has 192.168.1.120 and box B
    192.168.1.121.
    From box A perform
    PING 192.168.1.121
    and that should be successful.
    Then, of course, from box B perform
    PING 192.168.1.120
    and that should be successful too.

    Do not disconnect anything from the network.
    Now, do not reboot box B, but restart box A with Ghost CD.
    It should start up and pick up some IP address from DHCP.
    You can display it by Advanced Recovery Tasks -> Utilities ->Configure IP
    Address
    It will display "Network Card" info greyed out. That is fine.
    It will say "No network configuration was detected", and that is fine too.
    "IP #1" should be automatically filled with "192.168.1.xxx" and "Subnet #1"
    with "255.255.255.0".
    Close that window. Goto Utilities again and select Ping Remote Computer.
    Type "192.168.1.121" without quotes and hit OK. It should display PING.EXE
    screen with successful message.

    I hope that none of above machines (A and B) is the wireless one.

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I found out how to display the IPConfig /all stuff from the CD.
    >
    > It shows:
    >
    > Host Name: (coded leters)
    > Primary DNS suffix: (blank)
    > Node type: "Unknown"
    > IP routing enabled: "NO"
    > Wins proxy: "NO"
    >
    > then for the NIC
    >
    > DNS suffix: (blank)
    > DHCP enabled: "YES"
    > Auto Config: "YES"
    >
    > With all of that, I can assign an IP address, release it, assign
    > another etc. but, whatever I set up, the name of the card appears
    > grayed, and the description says "No network configuration detected."
    >
    > Thanks,
    That is right "Run IP Config Utility" allows to do that.
    As I have said in my previous mail, "No network configuration was detected"
    and greyed out network card description seem to be just fine (I guess that
    is normal for Ghost 9 CD).
    Did you performed PING tests to and from Ghost 9 CD booted PC?

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:34:39 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >Yes, I have asked you for IPCONFIG /ALL information when you boot your PC
    >normally, i.e. without using Ghost CD. And your answer was good. It seems
    >there is a DHCP server on your network, and most likely it is your Linksys
    >"switch" or router. It would be good if you can provide their model numbers
    >for a reference.
    >
    >Now, to make sure you have network connectivity when running Windows (not
    >Ghost CD), boot system A and B normally. Find out what are their IP
    >addresses by using IPCONFIG. Let say box A has 192.168.1.120 and box B
    >192.168.1.121.
    >From box A perform
    >PING 192.168.1.121
    >and that should be successful.
    >Then, of course, from box B perform
    >PING 192.168.1.120
    >and that should be successful too.
    >
    >Do not disconnect anything from the network.
    >Now, do not reboot box B, but restart box A with Ghost CD.
    >It should start up and pick up some IP address from DHCP.
    >You can display it by Advanced Recovery Tasks -> Utilities ->Configure IP
    >Address
    >It will display "Network Card" info greyed out. That is fine.
    >It will say "No network configuration was detected", and that is fine too.
    >"IP #1" should be automatically filled with "192.168.1.xxx" and "Subnet #1"
    >with "255.255.255.0".
    >Close that window. Goto Utilities again and select Ping Remote Computer.
    >Type "192.168.1.121" without quotes and hit OK. It should display PING.EXE
    >screen with successful message.
    >
    >I hope that none of above machines (A and B) is the wireless one.

    Hi Peter,

    First, the good news: Neither of the machines in question is wireless.
    They are hard wired and are connected by coax...

    Ordinarily, they talk to each other happily using NetBEUI. It was
    suggested to me that I should do these experiments with only TCP/IP
    running, and so have disabled NetBEUI on both boxes.

    Now, the surprise:

    Running Windows on both machines, they cannot ping one another...

    I just get endless time out errors, going both ways.

    Though this is a hassle, I do suspect that we are getting closer to
    home on all this.

    BTW, the switch through which these are piped is a Linksys EZXS88W.

    Because of the ping failures, I think it best to go no further with
    your other steps above.

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
    >Hi Peter,
    >
    >First, the good news: Neither of the machines in question is wireless.
    >They are hard wired and are connected by coax...
    >
    >Ordinarily, they talk to each other happily using NetBEUI. It was
    >suggested to me that I should do these experiments with only TCP/IP
    >running, and so have disabled NetBEUI on both boxes.
    >
    >Now, the surprise:
    >
    >Running Windows on both machines, they cannot ping one another...
    >
    >I just get endless time out errors, going both ways.
    >
    >Though this is a hassle, I do suspect that we are getting closer to
    >home on all this.
    >
    >BTW, the switch through which these are piped is a Linksys EZXS88W.
    >
    >Because of the ping failures, I think it best to go no further with
    >your other steps above.
    >
    >Sincere thanks,

    Kenneth, you are getting good advice from Peter. I've read all the
    threads here and in backup.

    If your two PC's (A & B) are both ONLY using TCPIP, and if the
    router/switch is configured for DHCP, you should be able to ping
    between the two. If you can't that MUST be fixed first. Don't just
    disable NETBEUI by unchecking it, make sure it's not in the network
    properties list.

    I would disconnect all other cables from the router/switch except A &
    B and concentrate on getting those two to communicate properly with
    each other.

    Make sure A and B can browse the other's network neighborhood shares.
    Then see if those two can access the Internet via the router.

    Once all that is working, then reboot one of them with Ghost 9, and
    see if you can access the other one. In the Windows 2000 Pro PC with
    the images on its hard drive, you wilt need have a valid logon
    id/password defined for the Ghost user.

    john

    Something is not right.
    You have a Linksys Ethernet switch in your network which does not provide
    DHCP service. Yet your computers report DHCP to be turned on and show
    assigned IP addresses in 192.168.1 network. Where do they get IP from?
    Your computer B (connected by coax-CAT5 converter) still gets IP via DHCP.
    But cannot communicate over IP. That is really strange.

    Nevertheless, if you still want to pull ghost image from your B machine
    using NETBEUI, please send me a private e-mail.

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:53:31 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:

    >Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
    >>Hi Peter,
    >>
    >>First, the good news: Neither of the machines in question is wireless.
    >>They are hard wired and are connected by coax...
    >>
    >>Ordinarily, they talk to each other happily using NetBEUI. It was
    >>suggested to me that I should do these experiments with only TCP/IP
    >>running, and so have disabled NetBEUI on both boxes.
    >>
    >>Now, the surprise:
    >>
    >>Running Windows on both machines, they cannot ping one another...
    >>
    >>I just get endless time out errors, going both ways.
    >>
    >>Though this is a hassle, I do suspect that we are getting closer to
    >>home on all this.
    >>
    >>BTW, the switch through which these are piped is a Linksys EZXS88W.
    >>
    >>Because of the ping failures, I think it best to go no further with
    >>your other steps above.
    >>
    >>Sincere thanks,
    >
    >Kenneth, you are getting good advice from Peter. I've read all the
    >threads here and in backup.
    >
    >If your two PC's (A & B) are both ONLY using TCPIP, and if the
    >router/switch is configured for DHCP, you should be able to ping
    >between the two. If you can't that MUST be fixed first. Don't just
    >disable NETBEUI by unchecking it, make sure it's not in the network
    >properties list.
    >
    >I would disconnect all other cables from the router/switch except A &
    >B and concentrate on getting those two to communicate properly with
    >each other.
    >
    >Make sure A and B can browse the other's network neighborhood shares.
    >Then see if those two can access the Internet via the router.
    >
    >Once all that is working, then reboot one of them with Ghost 9, and
    >see if you can access the other one. In the Windows 2000 Pro PC with
    >the images on its hard drive, you wilt need have a valid logon
    >id/password defined for the Ghost user.
    >
    >john

    Hi John,

    Thanks for your comments...

    I did not merely un-check NetBEUI, I "removed" it. But with TCP/IP, I
    could not ping either box from the other.

    I have not tried the un-plugging approach as yet, but certainly will.

    One other question:

    I assume that to ping successfully, there is no logon issue. Is that
    correct?

    When I have more info, I will post here.

    Sincere thanks, once again,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:53:31 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:
    >>>Hi Peter,
    >>>
    >>>First, the good news: Neither of the machines in question is wireless.
    >>>They are hard wired and are connected by coax...
    >>>
    >>>Ordinarily, they talk to each other happily using NetBEUI. It was
    >>>suggested to me that I should do these experiments with only TCP/IP
    >>>running, and so have disabled NetBEUI on both boxes.
    >>>
    >>>Now, the surprise:
    >>>
    >>>Running Windows on both machines, they cannot ping one another...
    >>>
    >>>I just get endless time out errors, going both ways.
    >>>
    >>>Though this is a hassle, I do suspect that we are getting closer to
    >>>home on all this.
    >>>
    >>>BTW, the switch through which these are piped is a Linksys EZXS88W.
    >>>
    >>>Because of the ping failures, I think it best to go no further with
    >>>your other steps above.
    >>>
    >>>Sincere thanks,
    >>
    >>Kenneth, you are getting good advice from Peter. I've read all the
    >>threads here and in backup.
    >>
    >>If your two PC's (A & B) are both ONLY using TCPIP, and if the
    >>router/switch is configured for DHCP, you should be able to ping
    >>between the two. If you can't that MUST be fixed first. Don't just
    >>disable NETBEUI by unchecking it, make sure it's not in the network
    >>properties list.
    >>
    >>I would disconnect all other cables from the router/switch except A &
    >>B and concentrate on getting those two to communicate properly with
    >>each other.
    >>
    >>Make sure A and B can browse the other's network neighborhood shares.
    >>Then see if those two can access the Internet via the router.
    >>
    >>Once all that is working, then reboot one of them with Ghost 9, and
    >>see if you can access the other one. In the Windows 2000 Pro PC with
    >>the images on its hard drive, you wilt need have a valid logon
    >>id/password defined for the Ghost user.
    >>
    >>john
    >>

    >Hi John,
    >
    >Thanks for your comments...
    >
    >I did not merely un-check NetBEUI, I "removed" it. But with TCP/IP, I
    >could not ping either box from the other.
    >
    >I have not tried the un-plugging approach as yet, but certainly will.
    >
    >One other question:
    >
    >I assume that to ping successfully, there is no logon issue. Is that
    >correct?
    >
    >When I have more info, I will post here.
    >
    >Sincere thanks, once again,

    There is no logon with ping. The only thing that could stop it would
    be router blocking pings, but I doubt it.

    If you can't ping between two PC's and get a response, then your
    network is not setup correctly.

    If the PC's are physically close to each other you could further
    isolate it by connecting an Ethernet cross-over cable between the two.

    Before pinging though, check both PC's with ipconfig /all and compare
    results. They should both have similar ip addresses except last such
    as 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101. Both should have 255.255.255.0
    and both should have gateway address of your router (probably
    192.168.1.1)

    (above rule applies to all PC's on your network.)

    You should not have to release or renew ip's to get it to work. They
    must both have same workgroup name also.

    I think there is a "Setup home network" wizard in Windows 2000. If so
    run this, then reboot.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Kenneth wrote:
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I cannot seem to find my network to restore with Ghost 9 (or Drive
    > Image 7, or V2i Protector.)
    >
    > If in Ghost 9 if I boot from the recovery CD and attempt to configure
    > the network, here's what I get:
    >
    > The Network configuration dialog shows -
    >
    > "No network configuration was detected."
    >
    > The netcard name is displayed correctly, but is grayed out.
    >
    > IP #1 displays correctly
    > Subnet #1 displays correctly
    >
    > IP #2 displays 0.0.0.0.
    > Subnet #2 displays 0.0.0.0.
    >
    > How should I proceed to get this thing to see the network properly?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance,

    I haerd that you could contact Technical Support, they may ask you to send
    them:
    -the network card details
    -a System Information file
    -the Windows XP NIC drivers (as the PE environment is a Windows PE one)

    Maybe they are willing to build an customer made ISO for you that natively
    will support your NIC?

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:02:51 +0200, "Michael Kimmer"
    <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote:

    >Kenneth wrote:
    >> Howdy,
    >>
    >> I cannot seem to find my network to restore with Ghost 9 (or Drive
    >> Image 7, or V2i Protector.)
    >>
    >> If in Ghost 9 if I boot from the recovery CD and attempt to configure
    >> the network, here's what I get:
    >>
    >> The Network configuration dialog shows -
    >>
    >> "No network configuration was detected."
    >>
    >> The netcard name is displayed correctly, but is grayed out.
    >>
    >> IP #1 displays correctly
    >> Subnet #1 displays correctly
    >>
    >> IP #2 displays 0.0.0.0.
    >> Subnet #2 displays 0.0.0.0.
    >>
    >> How should I proceed to get this thing to see the network properly?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any assistance,
    >
    >I haerd that you could contact Technical Support, they may ask you to send
    >them:
    >-the network card details
    >-a System Information file
    >-the Windows XP NIC drivers (as the PE environment is a Windows PE one)
    >
    >Maybe they are willing to build an customer made ISO for you that natively
    >will support your NIC?

    Hello Michael,

    I have tried on at least five occasions in the last few days to get
    technical support from Symantec.

    The "support" is of amazingly poor quality. It is not an exaggeration
    to say that the people trying to assist me know less about the product
    than I.

    On one occasion, the gentleman assisting me asked "What version of
    Ghost are you using?" That is, of course, a perfectly reasonable
    question. I answered, he said "Please hold for a few moments while I
    research your problem." He returned perhaps five minutes later and
    asked "What version of Ghost are you using."

    I give you my word that precisely the same thing happened a third time
    before I gave up on that particular call.

    Later I called again, waited more than 30 minutes, and eventually
    reached someone who was about to "assist" me. I asked to speak with a
    "supervisor" and was told that I could make an appointment to receive
    a return phone call.

    I was to receive that call eleven hours ago, but, of course, have
    received nothing.

    All this is to say that the "support" provided by Symantec on Ghost is
    something less than useful.

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:18:30 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:

    >Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:

    >>>Kenneth, you are getting good advice from Peter. I've read all the
    >>>threads here and in backup.
    >>>
    >>>If your two PC's (A & B) are both ONLY using TCPIP, and if the
    >>>router/switch is configured for DHCP, you should be able to ping
    >>>between the two. If you can't that MUST be fixed first. Don't just
    >>>disable NETBEUI by unchecking it, make sure it's not in the network
    >>>properties list.
    >>>
    >>>I would disconnect all other cables from the router/switch except A &
    >>>B and concentrate on getting those two to communicate properly with
    >>>each other.
    >>>
    >>>Make sure A and B can browse the other's network neighborhood shares.
    >>>Then see if those two can access the Internet via the router.
    >>>
    >>>Once all that is working, then reboot one of them with Ghost 9, and
    >>>see if you can access the other one. In the Windows 2000 Pro PC with
    >>>the images on its hard drive, you wilt need have a valid logon
    >>>id/password defined for the Ghost user.
    >>>
    >>>john
    >>>

    >>Hi John,
    >>
    >>Thanks for your comments...
    >>
    >>I did not merely un-check NetBEUI, I "removed" it. But with TCP/IP, I
    >>could not ping either box from the other.
    >>
    >>I have not tried the un-plugging approach as yet, but certainly will.
    >>
    >>One other question:
    >>
    >>I assume that to ping successfully, there is no logon issue. Is that
    >>correct?
    >>
    >>When I have more info, I will post here.
    >>
    >>Sincere thanks, once again,
    >
    >There is no logon with ping. The only thing that could stop it would
    >be router blocking pings, but I doubt it.
    >
    >If you can't ping between two PC's and get a response, then your
    >network is not setup correctly.
    >
    >If the PC's are physically close to each other you could further
    >isolate it by connecting an Ethernet cross-over cable between the two.
    >
    >Before pinging though, check both PC's with ipconfig /all and compare
    >results. They should both have similar ip addresses except last such
    >as 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101. Both should have 255.255.255.0
    >and both should have gateway address of your router (probably
    >192.168.1.1)
    >
    >(above rule applies to all PC's on your network.)
    >
    >You should not have to release or renew ip's to get it to work. They
    >must both have same workgroup name also.
    >
    >I think there is a "Setup home network" wizard in Windows 2000. If so
    >run this, then reboot.

    Hi John,

    You may have pointed me in an important direction...

    With the remote box running Windows, and the local box running off the
    Ghost CD, I unplugged all but those two systems from the switch.

    Then, as you suggested, I ran IPCONFIG /all on both.

    They both show DHCP: yes

    They both show Autoconfig: yes

    The IP address are just as you suggest, that is differing by one in
    the last field.

    The subnet for both is 255.255.255.0

    But, the remote (Windows) box displays the Default Gateway as
    192.168.1.1 while the local (CD booted) box shows nothing in that
    field.

    So, that would seem to be telling us that the CD booted local box is
    not seeing the router, and thus, not seeing anything else.

    What should be my next step?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Just curious, how did you run IPCONFIG /ALL on PC booted with Ghost9 CD? As
    far as I know, Symantec does not allow to run command shell so there is no
    way to execute that command.
    Maybe you meant "Run IP Config Utilityl" ->View Info
    The fact you do not see Default Gateway set up, might indicate DHCP server
    setup problem (on your router)
    But, if both PCs are connected to the same switch, there is no need for the
    default gateway. They should be able to ping each other regardless of the
    gateway setup.

    > Hi John,
    >
    > You may have pointed me in an important direction...
    >
    > With the remote box running Windows, and the local box running off the
    > Ghost CD, I unplugged all but those two systems from the switch.
    >
    > Then, as you suggested, I ran IPCONFIG /all on both.
    >
    > They both show DHCP: yes
    >
    > They both show Autoconfig: yes
    >
    > The IP address are just as you suggest, that is differing by one in
    > the last field.
    >
    > The subnet for both is 255.255.255.0
    >
    > But, the remote (Windows) box displays the Default Gateway as
    > 192.168.1.1 while the local (CD booted) box shows nothing in that
    > field.
    >
    > So, that would seem to be telling us that the CD booted local box is
    > not seeing the router, and thus, not seeing anything else.
    >
    > What should be my next step?
    >
    > Sincere thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Kenneth
    >
    > If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >Just curious, how did you run IPCONFIG /ALL on PC booted with Ghost9 CD? As
    >far as I know, Symantec does not allow to run command shell so there is no
    >way to execute that command.
    >Maybe you meant "Run IP Config Utilityl" ->View Info
    >The fact you do not see Default Gateway set up, might indicate DHCP server
    >setup problem (on your router)
    >But, if both PCs are connected to the same switch, there is no need for the
    >default gateway. They should be able to ping each other regardless of the
    >gateway setup.

    I agree. The important test is that with just 2 PC's connected to the
    switch, and both booted to Windows 2000, can you
    1. From windows 2000, ping and get response from each PC to the other
    PC's ip address
    2. From windows 2000 network neighborhood, can you browse (see) shared
    resources on the other PC.

    1 and 2 will verify a proper tcpip and sharing setup.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:07:35 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >Just curious, how did you run IPCONFIG /ALL on PC booted with Ghost9 CD? As
    >far as I know, Symantec does not allow to run command shell so there is no
    >way to execute that command.
    >Maybe you meant "Run IP Config Utilityl" ->View Info
    >The fact you do not see Default Gateway set up, might indicate DHCP server
    >setup problem (on your router)
    >But, if both PCs are connected to the same switch, there is no need for the
    >default gateway. They should be able to ping each other regardless of the
    >gateway setup.
    >
    >> Hi John,
    >>
    >> You may have pointed me in an important direction...
    >>
    >> With the remote box running Windows, and the local box running off the
    >> Ghost CD, I unplugged all but those two systems from the switch.
    >>
    >> Then, as you suggested, I ran IPCONFIG /all on both.
    >>
    >> They both show DHCP: yes
    >>
    >> They both show Autoconfig: yes
    >>
    >> The IP address are just as you suggest, that is differing by one in
    >> the last field.
    >>
    >> The subnet for both is 255.255.255.0
    >>
    >> But, the remote (Windows) box displays the Default Gateway as
    >> 192.168.1.1 while the local (CD booted) box shows nothing in that
    >> field.
    >>
    >> So, that would seem to be telling us that the CD booted local box is
    >> not seeing the router, and thus, not seeing anything else.
    >>
    >> What should be my next step?
    >>
    >> Sincere thanks,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kenneth
    >>
    >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    Hi Peter,

    Yes: "Run IP Config Utilityl" ->View Info" is what I did...

    Thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    #2 is fine, we can see and modify shared resources in both directions
    between any two machines. But #1 fails every time, and between any
    combination of systems on our 5 node net.

    Thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:36:04 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >>>Just curious, how did you run IPCONFIG /ALL on PC booted with Ghost9 CD? As
    >>>far as I know, Symantec does not allow to run command shell so there is no
    >>>way to execute that command.
    >>>Maybe you meant "Run IP Config Utilityl" ->View Info
    >>>The fact you do not see Default Gateway set up, might indicate DHCP server
    >>>setup problem (on your router)
    >>>But, if both PCs are connected to the same switch, there is no need for the
    >>>default gateway. They should be able to ping each other regardless of the
    >>>gateway setup.
    >>>

    >>I agree. The important test is that with just 2 PC's connected to the
    >>switch, and both booted to Windows 2000, can you
    >>1. From windows 2000, ping and get response from each PC to the other
    >>PC's ip address
    >>2. From windows 2000 network neighborhood, can you browse (see) shared
    >>resources on the other PC.
    >>
    >>1 and 2 will verify a proper tcpip and sharing setup.
    >>

    >Hi John,
    >
    >#2 is fine, we can see and modify shared resources in both directions
    >between any two machines. But #1 fails every time, and between any
    >combination of systems on our 5 node net.
    >
    >Thanks,

    Then you must have some firewall (in router/switch or in Windows 2000)
    that is blocking ping requests and responses. What brand/model
    router/switch? Have you looked at the security settings in that
    router?

    When you look at the Windows 2000 Network properties, do you see only
    one LAN network defined? No bridges or anything else? You might see
    the dial up, but that should be the only extra one.

    As you've found, if you can't get ping responses, Ghost (or anything
    else) is not going to get through.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:23:41 -0400, Kenneth
    <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:07:35 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Just curious, how did you run IPCONFIG /ALL on PC booted with Ghost9 CD? As
    >>far as I know, Symantec does not allow to run command shell so there is no
    >>way to execute that command.
    >>Maybe you meant "Run IP Config Utilityl" ->View Info
    >>The fact you do not see Default Gateway set up, might indicate DHCP server
    >>setup problem (on your router)
    >>But, if both PCs are connected to the same switch, there is no need for the
    >>default gateway. They should be able to ping each other regardless of the
    >>gateway setup.
    >>
    >>> Hi John,
    >>>
    >>> You may have pointed me in an important direction...
    >>>
    >>> With the remote box running Windows, and the local box running off the
    >>> Ghost CD, I unplugged all but those two systems from the switch.
    >>>
    >>> Then, as you suggested, I ran IPCONFIG /all on both.
    >>>
    >>> They both show DHCP: yes
    >>>
    >>> They both show Autoconfig: yes
    >>>
    >>> The IP address are just as you suggest, that is differing by one in
    >>> the last field.
    >>>
    >>> The subnet for both is 255.255.255.0
    >>>
    >>> But, the remote (Windows) box displays the Default Gateway as
    >>> 192.168.1.1 while the local (CD booted) box shows nothing in that
    >>> field.
    >>>
    >>> So, that would seem to be telling us that the CD booted local box is
    >>> not seeing the router, and thus, not seeing anything else.
    >>>
    >>> What should be my next step?
    >>>
    >>> Sincere thanks,
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Kenneth
    >>>
    >>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
    >>

    >Hi Peter,
    >
    >Yes: "Run IP Config Utilityl" ->View Info" is what I did...
    >
    >Thanks,

    Hi,

    I have no idea if this is useful information, but...

    I just tried running Net View on the remote Windows machine from the
    local Windows machine. To my surprise, it succeeded, but a ping
    attempt fails.

    Thanks for any further help on this,

    --
    Kenneth

  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have no idea if this is useful information, but...
    >
    > I just tried running Net View on the remote Windows machine from the
    > local Windows machine. To my surprise, it succeeded, but a ping
    > attempt fails.

    Did you disable NETBEUI and enabled TCPIP before doing that?
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:56:00 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have no idea if this is useful information, but...
    >>
    >> I just tried running Net View on the remote Windows machine from the
    >> local Windows machine. To my surprise, it succeeded, but a ping
    >> attempt fails.
    >
    >Did you disable NETBEUI and enabled TCPIP before doing that?

    Hi Peter, and All,

    Well, my saga has a very happy end.

    In brief summary:

    I had tried unsuccessfully (for many months) to see my network after
    booting from the Drive Image, V2i Protector, or Ghost 9 CDs.

    I spent hours with Tech Support folks from Powerquest looking at every
    aspect of the problem all to no avail. I attempted to work with
    support folks from Symantec, but found that to be a complete waste of
    time.

    Eventually, in an email, Peter suggested a variety of things that I
    should check. For some reason, my eye was drawn to the bottom of his
    list:

    He said "Be sure that you don't have some sort of software firewall
    running." (or words to that effect...)

    Well, you can guess the rest.

    Indeed, that was my months long problem, and all is now well.

    My thanks to Peter, and to the other good folks who tried to assist!

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

Displays Network Configuration Storage