Help, what works for back ups

I'd like to back up some data, about 100GBs
Can anyone recommend a tape back up system, or other system ?
Any websites with reviews ?

I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
probably tell you the same. The price of a ~100GB tape drive setup and
tapes will be a LOT of money, where as a 250-400GB hard drive in a portable
external USB2 enclosure could cost as little as $200 (for a 250GB drive and
enclosure).

I like the Western Digital WD2500JB drives for backup, about $150. Just my
personal favorite large drive for no reason other than I feel good about it.

--Dan

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'd like to back up some data, about 100GBs
> Can anyone recommend a tape back up system, or other system ?
> Any websites with reviews ?

kenneth

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:05:17 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
>probably tell you the same.

Well, yes, but...

In the event of a loss to a fire, you are toast. (Unless the second
drive is in another location.)

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:05:17 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
>>probably tell you the same.
>
> Well, yes, but...
>
> In the event of a loss to a fire, you are toast. (Unless the second
> drive is in another location.)

The same is true of tape unless the tapes are in another location.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

kenneth

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:45:49 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Kenneth wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:05:17 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
>>>probably tell you the same.
>>
>> Well, yes, but...
>>
>> In the event of a loss to a fire, you are toast. (Unless the second
>> drive is in another location.)
>
>The same is true of tape unless the tapes are in another location.
>
>> All the best,

Hi John,

Of course you are correct...

So many times I have seen systems with a stack of "backups" nearby...

It's a risky approach for sure,

--
Kenneth

Thats why I said to use a portable, external USB enclosure. I figure
offsite storage is a given, but I suppose some just don't know, it is a good
thing to mention. Check out Pelican cases for carrying your precious data
to offsite locations.

http://home.pacbell.net/dankgus/BACKUP/INTERIOR2.JPG

Waterproof to 20 feet!

--Dan

"Kenneth" <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:05:17 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
> >probably tell you the same.
>
> Well, yes, but...
>
> In the event of a loss to a fire, you are toast. (Unless the second
> drive is in another location.)
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

kenneth

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:42:50 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Waterproof to 20 feet!
>
>--Dan

Hi Dan,

I have used Peli cases for many years happily but...

Recently, I got a very small one to hold my cell phone etc. when I
kayak. The thing leaked badly.

The folks at Pelican were very nice about it, and quickly sent me a
new liner (that is also the sealing gasket). The new one leaks just as
badly.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

While not as cool looking, for kayaking nothing beats a good roll up dry
bag. I have a small pelican case too for a tiny laptop drive in a USB
enclosure, you confirm my suspicions that it isn't anywhere near as robust
as the larger cases. It probably OK as I won't be kayaking with it!