Help, what works for back ups

I'd like to back up some data, about 100GBs
Can anyone recommend a tape back up system, or other system ?
Any websites with reviews ?
7 answers Last reply
More about help works back

    I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
    probably tell you the same. The price of a ~100GB tape drive setup and
    tapes will be a LOT of money, where as a 250-400GB hard drive in a portable
    external USB2 enclosure could cost as little as $200 (for a 250GB drive and
    enclosure).

    I like the Western Digital WD2500JB drives for backup, about $150. Just my
    personal favorite large drive for no reason other than I feel good about it.

    --Dan

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:05:17 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
    >probably tell you the same.

    Well, yes, but...

    In the event of a loss to a fire, you are toast. (Unless the second
    drive is in another location.)

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:05:17 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
    >>probably tell you the same.
    >
    > Well, yes, but...
    >
    > In the event of a loss to a fire, you are toast. (Unless the second
    > drive is in another location.)

    The same is true of tape unless the tapes are in another location.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:45:49 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Kenneth wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:05:17 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think your best choice will be to back up to another disk. Others will
    >>>probably tell you the same.
    >>
    >> Well, yes, but...
    >>
    >> In the event of a loss to a fire, you are toast. (Unless the second
    >> drive is in another location.)
    >
    >The same is true of tape unless the tapes are in another location.
    >
    >> All the best,

    Hi John,

    Of course you are correct...

    So many times I have seen systems with a stack of "backups" nearby...

    It's a risky approach for sure,

    --
    Kenneth

    Thats why I said to use a portable, external USB enclosure. I figure
    offsite storage is a given, but I suppose some just don't know, it is a good
    thing to mention. Check out Pelican cases for carrying your precious data
    to offsite locations.

    http://home.pacbell.net/dankgus/BACKUP/INTERIOR2.JPG

    Waterproof to 20 feet!

    --Dan

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:42:50 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Waterproof to 20 feet!
    >
    >--Dan

    Hi Dan,

    I have used Peli cases for many years happily but...

    Recently, I got a very small one to hold my cell phone etc. when I
    kayak. The thing leaked badly.

    The folks at Pelican were very nice about it, and quickly sent me a
    new liner (that is also the sealing gasket). The new one leaks just as
    badly.

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

    While not as cool looking, for kayaking nothing beats a good roll up dry
    bag. I have a small pelican case too for a tiny laptop drive in a USB
    enclosure, you confirm my suspicions that it isn't anywhere near as robust
    as the larger cases. It probably OK as I won't be kayaking with it!

    > On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:42:50 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Waterproof to 20 feet!
    > >
    > >--Dan
    >
    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > I have used Peli cases for many years happily but...
    >
    > Recently, I got a very small one to hold my cell phone etc. when I
    > kayak. The thing leaked badly.
    >
    > The folks at Pelican were very nice about it, and quickly sent me a
    > new liner (that is also the sealing gasket). The new one leaks just as
    > badly.
    >
    > All the best,
    >
    > --
    > Kenneth
    >
    > If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Hardware Storage Product