Codec:Xvid or FFDShow

I just downloaded a Xvid(avi) movie and not sure which codec (Xvid vs
FFDShow) to install to encode the movide so I can burn it to a VCD.
What is the difference between a normal and a DirectShow codec like
Xvid & FFDShow for MPEG4?
When do you use normal codec and when do you use DirectShow?
If optional, which is a better codec to use?
TIA
1 answer Last reply
More about codec xvid ffdshow

    Do not quote me on this but, if you use WMP to playback this content it's
    using DirectShow for both ffdshow and the Xvid codec. Most applications use
    DirectShow for playback.

    For the "XviD" codec there are a few releases from different developers that
    are used the most. These would be Nic's and Koepi's binaries. Since XviD
    is open-source there are many people developing different versions.

    IMO and in general from what I see ffdshow is the most popular for decoding
    XviD content and most MPEG-4 based content. ffdshow also allows for
    post-processing, resizing, and much, much more. I doubt you need to worry
    about those functions though. For encoding XviD content you would want to
    install Nic's or Koepi's builds.

    Now, if you are looking to make a VCD then you are going to encode this XviD
    file to MPEG-1. If you not sure exactly what you are doing then I would use
    a program like Nero that will convert the XviD encoded AVI to MPEG-1 and
    burn it directly. If you want to put a little bit more work into it (and
    get a better output) then use a program like TMPGEnc. There are many guides
    to show you how to do this step-by-step, such as
    http://home.comcast.net/~keyzk/tmpgeng_tutorial.htm

    --
    Chris Lanier
    Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    "Helob" <REMOVEwonghy@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > I just downloaded a Xvid(avi) movie and not sure which codec (Xvid vs
    > FFDShow) to install to encode the movide so I can burn it to a VCD.
    > What is the difference between a normal and a DirectShow codec like
    > Xvid & FFDShow for MPEG4?
    > When do you use normal codec and when do you use DirectShow?
    > If optional, which is a better codec to use?
    > TIA

Video Xvid Codec Windows XP