Codec:Xvid or FFDShow

I just downloaded a Xvid(avi) movie and not sure which codec (Xvid vs
FFDShow) to install to encode the movide so I can burn it to a VCD.
What is the difference between a normal and a DirectShow codec like
Xvid & FFDShow for MPEG4?
When do you use normal codec and when do you use DirectShow?
If optional, which is a better codec to use?
TIA

Do not quote me on this but, if you use WMP to playback this content it's
using DirectShow for both ffdshow and the Xvid codec. Most applications use
DirectShow for playback.

For the "XviD" codec there are a few releases from different developers that
are used the most. These would be Nic's and Koepi's binaries. Since XviD
is open-source there are many people developing different versions.

IMO and in general from what I see ffdshow is the most popular for decoding
XviD content and most MPEG-4 based content. ffdshow also allows for
post-processing, resizing, and much, much more. I doubt you need to worry
about those functions though. For encoding XviD content you would want to
install Nic's or Koepi's builds.

Now, if you are looking to make a VCD then you are going to encode this XviD
file to MPEG-1. If you not sure exactly what you are doing then I would use
a program like Nero that will convert the XviD encoded AVI to MPEG-1 and
burn it directly. If you want to put a little bit more work into it (and
get a better output) then use a program like TMPGEnc. There are many guides
to show you how to do this step-by-step, such as
http://home.comcast.net/~keyzk/tmpgeng_tutorial.htm

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media