Which hard drive are the most reliable ?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

hi

Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.

Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
(not the scsi)

Thank

gaetan

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Gaetan Mailloux <ba221@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:

> hi

> Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.

> Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
> (not the scsi)

Those running as RAID1 or RAID5. The rest are mostly in
the same class. Some person here recently claimed that
Maxtors tend to fail gradually (consistent with my experience
and I have had about 5 out of aboit 50 fail so far) and that
WDs had a tendency to fail catastrophically (no idea), but
not more often.

The best reason for RAID is not to replace backup (which it does not
do). It is to get easy recovery from a disk failure IMO.

Arno

"Gaetan Mailloux" <ba221@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> hi
>
> Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.
>
> Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
> (not the scsi)
>
> Thank
>
> gaetan
> --

I would go with Seagate at the moment. They're not foolproof but they have a
relatively good track record and they now offer a 5-year warranty.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

The best thing you can do buy a drive with 3 or 5 year warranty and backup
important data because you can't let the fate of your data lie only in a
company's reputation.

Personally, I go with Western Digital Special Edition drives with 3 year
warranty. They are reasonably priced and pretty good performers. So far I
have had good luck, but I am sure WD has their fair share of returned bad
drives just like everybody.

--Dan

"Gaetan Mailloux" <ba221@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> hi
>
> Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.
>
> Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
> (not the scsi)
>
> Thank
>
> gaetan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
warranty if your parinoid :)

"Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
> warranty if your parinoid :)

It is also famous for meowing like a cat. If you can deal with that, sure,
go for it.

Kevin C. wrote:

> "Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>

>> Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
>> warranty if your parinoid :)
>
> It is also famous for meowing like a cat. If you can deal with that, sure,
> go for it.

A very small, very quiet cat. In any case there is new firmware that
corrects this.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Avid Gamer wrote:

> Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
> warranty if your parinoid :)

Don't even dream about it.

What good is a 3 year warranty if your data cannot be retrieved?

***TERRIBLE*** reliability record (later models certainly) and
incredibly difficult to recover.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Odie Ferrous wrote:

> Avid Gamer wrote:
>>
>> Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
>> warranty if your parinoid :)
>

> Don't even dream about it.
>
> What good is a 3 year warranty if your data cannot be retrieved?
>
> ***TERRIBLE*** reliability record (later models certainly) and
> incredibly difficult to recover.

Of course you have statistics for the 180GXP, 7K250, and 7K400 compared with
other brands and models of similar capacity.

As for data not being retrievable, if you're depending on the reliability of
_any_ single drive to safeguard your data then you're going to lose it, and
deservedly so.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Yeah my Hitachi does Meow like a kitty, i kind of like it :)

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> WDs had a tendency to fail catastrophically (no idea), but
> not more often.

Mine failed gradually over about 1 hour.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage CWatters <colin.watters@pandorabox.be> wrote:

> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> WDs had a tendency to fail catastrophically (no idea), but
>> not more often.

> Mine failed gradually over about 1 hour.

Well, in a machine not constantly under observation that
counts as "catastrophically', I would say. ;-)

I had several Maxtors failing over a period of several days to weeks.

Arno