Which hard drive are the most reliable ?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

hi

Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.

Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
(not the scsi)

Thank

gaetan
--
11 answers Last reply
More about which hard drive reliable
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Gaetan Mailloux <ba221@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:

    > hi

    > Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.

    > Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
    > (not the scsi)

    Those running as RAID1 or RAID5. The rest are mostly in
    the same class. Some person here recently claimed that
    Maxtors tend to fail gradually (consistent with my experience
    and I have had about 5 out of aboit 50 fail so far) and that
    WDs had a tendency to fail catastrophically (no idea), but
    not more often.

    The best reason for RAID is not to replace backup (which it does not
    do). It is to get easy recovery from a disk failure IMO.

    Arno
    --
    For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
    GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Gaetan Mailloux" <ba221@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
    news:ck6vaj$6up$1@freenet9.carleton.ca...
    >
    > hi
    >
    > Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.
    >
    > Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
    > (not the scsi)
    >
    > Thank
    >
    > gaetan
    > --
    >

    I would go with Seagate at the moment. They're not foolproof but they have a
    relatively good track record and they now offer a 5-year warranty.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    The best thing you can do buy a drive with 3 or 5 year warranty and backup
    important data because you can't let the fate of your data lie only in a
    company's reputation.

    Personally, I go with Western Digital Special Edition drives with 3 year
    warranty. They are reasonably priced and pretty good performers. So far I
    have had good luck, but I am sure WD has their fair share of returned bad
    drives just like everybody.

    --Dan

    "Gaetan Mailloux" <ba221@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
    news:ck6vaj$6up$1@freenet9.carleton.ca...
    >
    > hi
    >
    > Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.
    >
    > Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
    > (not the scsi)
    >
    > Thank
    >
    > gaetan
    > --
    >
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
    warranty if your parinoid :)


    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:45:18 GMT, "Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote:

    >
    >"Gaetan Mailloux" <ba221@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
    >news:ck6vaj$6up$1@freenet9.carleton.ca...
    >>
    >> hi
    >>
    >> Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.
    >>
    >> Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
    >> (not the scsi)
    >>
    >> Thank
    >>
    >> gaetan
    >> --
    >>
    >
    >I would go with Seagate at the moment. They're not foolproof but they have a
    >relatively good track record and they now offer a 5-year warranty.
    >
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    news:agbgm0pqaaco7m59vhjnrh61th5gjpabup@4ax.com...
    >
    >
    > Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
    > warranty if your parinoid :)

    It is also famous for meowing like a cat. If you can deal with that, sure,
    go for it.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Kevin C. wrote:

    >
    > "Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:agbgm0pqaaco7m59vhjnrh61th5gjpabup@4ax.com...
    >>
    >>
    >> Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
    >> warranty if your parinoid :)
    >
    > It is also famous for meowing like a cat. If you can deal with that, sure,
    > go for it.

    A very small, very quiet cat. In any case there is new firmware that
    corrects this.

    --
    --John
    Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Avid Gamer wrote:
    >
    > Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
    > warranty if your parinoid :)


    Don't even dream about it.

    What good is a 3 year warranty if your data cannot be retrieved?

    ***TERRIBLE*** reliability record (later models certainly) and
    incredibly difficult to recover.


    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts
    www.retrodata.co.uk
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Odie Ferrous wrote:

    > Avid Gamer wrote:
    >>
    >> Hitachi if you want the Fastest, 7200rpm drive their is, and 3 years
    >> warranty if your parinoid :)
    >
    >
    > Don't even dream about it.
    >
    > What good is a 3 year warranty if your data cannot be retrieved?
    >
    > ***TERRIBLE*** reliability record (later models certainly) and
    > incredibly difficult to recover.

    Of course you have statistics for the 180GXP, 7K250, and 7K400 compared with
    other brands and models of similar capacity.

    As for data not being retrievable, if you're depending on the reliability of
    _any_ single drive to safeguard your data then you're going to lose it, and
    deservedly so.

    > Odie

    --
    --John
    Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Yeah my Hitachi does Meow like a kitty, i kind of like it :)


    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 01:42:21 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The best thing you can do buy a drive with 3 or 5 year warranty and backup
    >important data because you can't let the fate of your data lie only in a
    >company's reputation.
    >
    >Personally, I go with Western Digital Special Edition drives with 3 year
    >warranty. They are reasonably priced and pretty good performers. So far I
    >have had good luck, but I am sure WD has their fair share of returned bad
    >drives just like everybody.
    >
    >--Dan
    >
    >"Gaetan Mailloux" <ba221@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
    >news:ck6vaj$6up$1@freenet9.carleton.ca...
    >>
    >> hi
    >>
    >> Hard drive, today, are cheaper but lower quality.
    >>
    >> Over 80 gig, which hard drive are the most reliable an fast ?
    >> (not the scsi)
    >>
    >> Thank
    >>
    >> gaetan
    >> --
    >>
    >
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    news:2soi91F1o179pU6@uni-berlin.de...

    > WDs had a tendency to fail catastrophically (no idea), but
    > not more often.

    Mine failed gradually over about 1 hour.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage CWatters <colin.watters@pandorabox.be> wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > news:2soi91F1o179pU6@uni-berlin.de...

    >> WDs had a tendency to fail catastrophically (no idea), but
    >> not more often.

    > Mine failed gradually over about 1 hour.

    Well, in a machine not constantly under observation that
    counts as "catastrophically', I would say. ;-)

    I had several Maxtors failing over a period of several days to weeks.

    Arno
    --
    For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
    GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware Storage Hard Drives IBM