New Seagate Barracuda 160 - UDMA or SATA

Tags:
  • UDMA
  • Seagate
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
October 10, 2004 5:19:02 PM

I am going to get a new Seagate Barracuda 160 and am not sure whether
to stick with UDMA (with rounded cables) or get a SATA drive. Iam
using an ASUS P4PE (which has a Promise PDC20376) which can use
either. I don't need any extra speed just reliability. What would
people recommend

More about : seagate barracuda 160 udma sata

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 10, 2004 5:19:03 PM

John wrote:

> I am going to get a new Seagate Barracuda 160 and am not sure whether
> to stick with UDMA (with rounded cables) or get a SATA drive. Iam
> using an ASUS P4PE (which has a Promise PDC20376) which can use
> either. I don't need any extra speed just reliability. What would
> people recommend

From a reliability viewpoint it's not going to make any difference. Seagate
may have tuned the seek pattern on the UDMA drive for quiet and the SATA
for speed--some manufacturers seem to have been doing that with some
drives--but it's not certain.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)