Floppy drive not appearing

perrin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2004

Hi all. I have installed a new floppy drive (as A:) but it's not detected by the
System Bios and OS (Windows XP Pro). My connections, as far as I know, are
correct. Anyone can help me out?

TIA.

--
cheers
perrin

"perrin" <perrin99@singnet.com.sg> wrote:

> Hi all. I have installed a new floppy drive (as A:) but it's not detected by the
> System Bios and OS (Windows XP Pro). My connections, as far as I know, are
> correct. Anyone can help me out?

Did you set it as 1.44 M / 3.5 in. in the BIOS setup?

perrin wrote:

> Hi all. I have installed a new floppy drive (as A:) but it's not detected
> by the System Bios and OS (Windows XP Pro). My connections, as far as I
> know, are correct. Anyone can help me out?

Dumb question--is the light on the drive always on? If so you've got the
cable plugged in upside down. If not, it's possible that it's plugged in
offset so that it's only on one row of pins. The connectors on most
diskette drives allow either to happen fairly easily.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

The BIOS and Windows do not autodetect floppies (not P&P). If you enable
floppies in the BIOS, windows will create the device, even it none is
connected.

Therefore I would say it is not configured in the BIOS. What do you see in
Device Manager under Floppy controllers and drives?

"perrin" <perrin99@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have installed a new floppy drive (as A:) but it's not detected by
the
> System Bios and OS (Windows XP Pro). My connections, as far as I know, are
> correct. Anyone can help me out?

perrin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2004

Yes it is listed as that in the Bios.

--
cheers
perrin

:
: > Hi all. I have installed a new floppy drive (as A:) but it's not detected by
the
: > System Bios and OS (Windows XP Pro). My connections, as far as I know, are
: > correct. Anyone can help me out?
:
: Did you set it as 1.44 M / 3.5 in. in the BIOS setup?

perrin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2004

The light is never on. The cable seems to be plugged in properly - the entire
thing is in the slot. I could check again though.

--
cheers
perrin

: perrin wrote:
:
: > Hi all. I have installed a new floppy drive (as A:) but it's not detected
: > by the System Bios and OS (Windows XP Pro). My connections, as far as I
: > know, are correct. Anyone can help me out?
:
: Dumb question--is the light on the drive always on? If so you've got the
: cable plugged in upside down. If not, it's possible that it's plugged in
: offset so that it's only on one row of pins. The connectors on most
: diskette drives allow either to happen fairly easily.
: >
: > TIA.
: >
:
: --
: --John
: Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
: (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

perrin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2004

You might be on to something. I "lost" my previous floppy drive after I changed
my board (I assumed that the drive had expired). Device Manager says Standard
Floppy Disk Controller (I don't have a Floppy *Drive* item cf. the CDROM
drives).

How do I configure the drive?

--
cheers