Help - drive letters scrambled

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 10, 2004 7:36:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I'll keep this as brief as possible. After using Drive Image
(carefully, I thought) to copy my system drive C to a partition of
identical size on an identical second hard disk, my drive letters have
now been scrambled! C is E and E is C. So by default XP is booting
into the 'copied' version, the one without all my software installed,
my broadband, etc. (And presumably all my hundred of shortcuts screwed
up.)

This is what the setup NOW looks like:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Mess1.gif

And this is what it SHOULD look like (as it did a few hours ago):
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/XPDiskMgmt.gif

Can someone step me through how I can get these drive letters returned
to their former state please?

BTW, I have Drive Image 2002 and PM 7.0, as well as whatever
facilities are offered by XP Home itself with Disk Management.

All help and advice will be warmly appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
October 10, 2004 11:30:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:36:32 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I'll keep this as brief as possible. After using Drive Image
>(carefully, I thought) to copy my system drive C to a partition of
>identical size on an identical second hard disk, my drive letters have
>now been scrambled! C is E and E is C. So by default XP is booting
>into the 'copied' version, the one without all my software installed,
>my broadband, etc. (And presumably all my hundred of shortcuts screwed
>up.)
>
>This is what the setup NOW looks like:
>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Mess1.gif
>
>And this is what it SHOULD look like (as it did a few hours ago):
>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/XPDiskMgmt.gif
>
>Can someone step me through how I can get these drive letters returned
>to their former state please?
>
>BTW, I have Drive Image 2002 and PM 7.0, as well as whatever
>facilities are offered by XP Home itself with Disk Management.
>
>All help and advice will be warmly appreciated please.

You can change the drive lette easily using the Registry editor
(regedit)
Just go to HKEY_LOCALE_MACHINE/System/Mounted device

There you have the list of al the drive, and you can change them and
reboot

Be careful into doing it

Good luck
Nick
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 11, 2004 2:43:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Well, I'm darned! Somehow XP has automagically returned the partition
names to their correct original labels:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/LookingGood.gif

It's also for some reason removed that 'Boot' annotation.

All I did was what I'd done a couple of times before, change the
default boot drop down box I described.

Anyway, not worried how it happened, just happy to have normality
back.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Terry, not to make lite of the problem (at least it's fixed) but you have more darn problems than any one person I know of.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:q7bjm0l4vkm0vjcnn8t57q09tjbn6ni2uj@4ax.com...
| Well, I'm darned! Somehow XP has automagically returned the partition
| names to their correct original labels:
| http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/LookingGood.gif
|
| It's also for some reason removed that 'Boot' annotation.
|
| All I did was what I'd done a couple of times before, change the
| default boot drop down box I described.
|
| Anyway, not worried how it happened, just happy to have normality
| back.
|
| --
| Terry Pinnell
| Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 11, 2004 6:33:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I was premature saying it was fixed ;-(

I feel very close to sorting it, yet still can't quite get there. Any
further help would be much appreciated please. I'll try to spell out
all the details.

This 'system' to which I'm presently booted, in which I'm composing
this message, is called 'XP Home Edition #2'. That's what appears in
the drop-down box I've since discovered at XP System
Properties>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Settings>System Startup.
And it's the line that was selected by default for a few seconds
during the last boot up process.

In XP Disk Mgmt I see this:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/AnotherBootOpti...
So that seems to confirm that I'm in C.
Note the annotation 'Boot' against C.

BUT I don't follow why C is now shown on HD2 ?? I want it to be on
HD1, where it was until I copied C (on HD1) to E (on HD2). IOW, I want
C to always mean the physical partition on HD 1, and I want it to be
my normal 'system'. Only in an emergency, or to experiment, would I
want to boot up to the alternative system, which I copied to E.

Now, I'll save this post while I reboot to the other option.

-------

OK, I've done that. In XP Disk Mgmt I now see this:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/OneBootOption.g...

The arrangement here is the one I've become used to over the last
couple of years.

BUT it shows that E is now 'Active'. (Why not 'Boot' BTW?)
And, the files I found under the C:\ path while in the other system
are now under E:\. Anyway, I am now thoroughly confused!

Can anyone suggest a simple, risk-free way of getting to what I had
before please: Boot to C, C physically on HD1.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Terry, it (in my experience) wont be quick or easy.

You need to delete and format the C and E partitions. Reinstall XP to the freshly formated C on HDD 0 (1). Install your programs. Get imaging software, I use TrueImage from www.acronis.com, and create an image of C.

Do your experimentation on C and if it goes bad restore the image. Just copying XP to another primary partition doesn't work, as you found out.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:ml2lm0hnns5abh0d9f12dpu3nnbo12q62n@4ax.com...
|I was premature saying it was fixed ;-(
|
| I feel very close to sorting it, yet still can't quite get there. Any
| further help would be much appreciated please. I'll try to spell out
| all the details.
|
| This 'system' to which I'm presently booted, in which I'm composing
| this message, is called 'XP Home Edition #2'. That's what appears in
| the drop-down box I've since discovered at XP System
| Properties>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Settings>System Startup.
| And it's the line that was selected by default for a few seconds
| during the last boot up process.
|
| In XP Disk Mgmt I see this:
| http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/AnotherBootOpti...
| So that seems to confirm that I'm in C.
| Note the annotation 'Boot' against C.
|
| BUT I don't follow why C is now shown on HD2 ?? I want it to be on
| HD1, where it was until I copied C (on HD1) to E (on HD2). IOW, I want
| C to always mean the physical partition on HD 1, and I want it to be
| my normal 'system'. Only in an emergency, or to experiment, would I
| want to boot up to the alternative system, which I copied to E.
|
| Now, I'll save this post while I reboot to the other option.
|
| -------
|
| OK, I've done that. In XP Disk Mgmt I now see this:
| http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/OneBootOption.g...
|
| The arrangement here is the one I've become used to over the last
| couple of years.
|
| BUT it shows that E is now 'Active'. (Why not 'Boot' BTW?)
| And, the files I found under the C:\ path while in the other system
| are now under E:\. Anyway, I am now thoroughly confused!
|
| Can anyone suggest a simple, risk-free way of getting to what I had
| before please: Boot to C, C physically on HD1.
|
| --
| Terry, West Sussex, UK
October 13, 2004 7:11:21 PM

> I'll keep this as brief as possible. After using Drive Image
> (carefully, I thought) to copy my system drive C to a partition of
> identical size on an identical second hard disk, my drive letters
> have
> now been scrambled! C is E and E is C. So by default XP is booting
> into the 'copied' version, the one without all my software
> installed,
> my broadband, etc. (And presumably all my hundred of shortcuts
> screwed
> up.)
>
> This is what the setup NOW looks like:
> http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Mess1.gif
>
> And this is what it SHOULD look like (as it did a few hours ago):
> http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/XPDiskMgmt.gif
>
> Can someone step me through how I can get these drive letters
> returned
> to their former state please?
>
> BTW, I have Drive Image 2002 and PM 7.0, as well as whatever
> facilities are offered by XP Home itself with Disk Management.

a) Drive image 7 is needed for WXP.
b) You made a copy of your drive instead of a backup.
c) It does not make sense to make a back up of your
drive and then leave the backup/copy in the machine.
d) Things may be FUBAR by now.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 21, 2004 8:21:46 PM

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > I'll keep this as brief as possible. After using Drive Image
> > (carefully, I thought) to copy my system drive C to a partition of
> > identical size on an identical second hard disk, my drive letters
> > have
> > now been scrambled! C is E and E is C. So by default XP is booting
> > into the 'copied' version, the one without all my software
> > installed,
> > my broadband, etc. (And presumably all my hundred of shortcuts
> > screwed
> > up.)
> >
> > This is what the setup NOW looks like:
> > http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Mess1.gif
> >
> > And this is what it SHOULD look like (as it did a few hours ago):
> > http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/XPDiskMgmt.gif
> >
> > Can someone step me through how I can get these drive letters
> > returned
> > to their former state please?
> >
> > BTW, I have Drive Image 2002 and PM 7.0, as well as whatever
> > facilities are offered by XP Home itself with Disk Management.
>
> a) Drive image 7 is needed for WXP.
> b) You made a copy of your drive instead of a backup.
> c) It does not make sense to make a back up of your
> drive and then leave the backup/copy in the machine.
> d) Things may be FUBAR by now.

It can still be fixed

Print this in case it doesn't work as planned

1. Start-->Run
2. Type MSCONFIG
3. select the BOOT.INI tab
4. IF there is more than one line, remove the one that points to the wrong
partitions. (it will be listed strange but look for the one that does NOT
say partition 1) If there is only one line then you'll need to alter it
another way.

1. My Computer-->C:\
2. Go to Tools Menu-->folder options
3. Select VIEW tab
4. Find and select "Show hidden files and Folders" (may say "Show all
files") then click OK
5. Find a file named Boot.ini
6. Right click it and select copy, then past the copy to the same area.
7.now right click the copy and select rename. Name it something like
Boot.bad
8. open the original Boot.ini in wordpad or notepad.
9. Locate the following line
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(x)\WINDOWS
Where (x) can be any number depending on the partition it is pointing the
system to and how many partitions exist on your drive.
10. Change the character from x to 1.

Reboot and see if it works. If it does, congratulations
If not. go back to the c: drive, rename boot.ini to boot.poo, then rename
boot.bad to boot.ini so you are at least back where you started.

Microsofts knowledgebase usually has helpful fixes for this kinda thing too.
Search for something like XP boots to wrong partition.

Kevin
!