Can't copy to Maxtor 250gb external drive with 48.5gb of f..

Hi.

Windows 98SE thinks my 250gb (FAT32) external maxtor drive is full,
even though there is 48.5gb of free space on it. No problem copying up
until this point. File in question is not over 4gb. Recycle bin was
set to 10% (25gb???), so I changed it to 1% (2.5gb.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

Ed

"edso444" <uhali_gani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> Windows 98SE thinks my 250gb (FAT32) external maxtor drive is full,
> even though there is 48.5gb of free space on it. No problem copying up
> until this point. File in question is not over 4gb. Recycle bin was
> set to 10% (25gb???), so I changed it to 1% (2.5gb.
>
> Any Ideas? Thanks!
>
> Ed

Two possibilities here.

1. I'm not aware of any solutions to the 137gb limit in Win98. Your data may
already be corrupted... but since that isn't your complaint, I'll assume you
found a way around it.

2. There is a bug in FAT32 where an improper shutdown will almost always
result in the system reporting free space incorrectly. Scandisk will fix
this error. For this reason you should never skip the automatic check unless
you plan to run Scandisk manually in the near future.

That's all I can think of. Hope it helps.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:16:31 GMT, "Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote:

>"edso444" <uhali_gani@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> Windows 98SE thinks my 250gb (FAT32) external maxtor drive is full,
>> even though there is 48.5gb of free space on it. No problem copying up
>> until this point. File in question is not over 4gb. Recycle bin was
>> set to 10% (25gb???), so I changed it to 1% (2.5gb.
>>
>> Any Ideas? Thanks!
>>
>> Ed
>
>Two possibilities here.
>
>1. I'm not aware of any solutions to the 137gb limit in Win98. Your data may
>already be corrupted... but since that isn't your complaint, I'll assume you
>found a way around it.
>
>2. There is a bug in FAT32 where an improper shutdown will almost always
>result in the system reporting free space incorrectly. Scandisk will fix
>this error. For this reason you should never skip the automatic check unless
>you plan to run Scandisk manually in the near future.
>
>That's all I can think of. Hope it helps.

You didn't mention what you were trying to copy. If it is an image of
a drive image, you need to use the imaging program's file size
limitation feature, if you are going to write to or copy to a
FAT32-formatted drive.

FAT32 limits individual file sizes to 4GB. Windows will report that
the drive is "full," while the problem is really that the file is too
large for the file system to handle it.

Terry
http://www.terrystockdale.com