media player 9 and live radio

June 14, 2004 2:04:24 PM

wxp pro , windows media player 9 , applied all updates from
windowsupdate.com

severe problems listening to a live radio broadcast of a euro 2004 soccer
game

this was a web-stream of an english radio station's live broadcast. the
stream was provided by the http://www.bbc.com/sports website -- via their
"BBC Sport Player"

starting the "BBC Sport Player" opens a separate window and provides the
option to select "Real Player" or "Windows Media" ... i selected "Windows
Media"

one of the panels in the "BBC Sport Player" window contains the familiar
Windows Media control panel ...

the panel has a link titled "Optimized 9 Series Experience" that opens a
Microsoft website

"Fast Streaming with Windows Media 9 Series" ... so apparently the latest
windows server 2003 technology was being used

for the entire 2 hours of the broadcast , the sound would stop every minute
or so , and then restart ...

whenever the broadcast would stop , the Windows Media panel would say
"bufferring" , but the usual "percentage bufferred" indicator was not
present

i actually found that closing the "BBC Sport Player" window , clearing all
temporary internet files , and then restarting the "BBC Sport Player"
tended to be a faster method to re-attain content delivery
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:18:03 PM

What sort of connection do you have? The BBC state it is for over 256k.
BBC have only recently, I believe, started using WMP files, so it may be
better to try the real player ones if you have it.
Also, depending on which match you listened too they may have had far too
many people trying to access it, have a test of a low interest match to see.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
> wxp pro , windows media player 9 , applied all updates from
> windowsupdate.com
>
> severe problems listening to a live radio broadcast of a euro 2004 soccer
> game
>
> this was a web-stream of an english radio station's live broadcast. the
> stream was provided by the http://www.bbc.com/sports website -- via their
> "BBC Sport Player"
>
> starting the "BBC Sport Player" opens a separate window and provides the
> option to select "Real Player" or "Windows Media" ... i selected "Windows
> Media"
>
> one of the panels in the "BBC Sport Player" window contains the familiar
> Windows Media control panel ...
>
> the panel has a link titled "Optimized 9 Series Experience" that opens a
> Microsoft website
>
> "Fast Streaming with Windows Media 9 Series" ... so apparently the latest
> windows server 2003 technology was being used
>
> for the entire 2 hours of the broadcast , the sound would stop every
minute
> or so , and then restart ...
>
> whenever the broadcast would stop , the Windows Media panel would say
> "bufferring" , but the usual "percentage bufferred" indicator was not
> present
>
> i actually found that closing the "BBC Sport Player" window , clearing all
> temporary internet files , and then restarting the "BBC Sport Player"
> tended to be a faster method to re-attain content delivery

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:18:04 PM

Heh heh ... well probably not much more interest than England v. France ...
but shouldn't they have anticipated that ?

The bandwidth I've tried has always been very high... either 11mbps wireless
(at a cafe) or cable modem (at home) or T1 (at work) ...

I hate to put Real Player on my machine ... they try to sneak-in all sorts
of junk ... it always seems to cause problems. I wonder if there is a
"minimalist" version of Real Player ?

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o QsUYOjUEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What sort of connection do you have? The BBC state it is for over 256k.
> BBC have only recently, I believe, started using WMP files, so it may be
> better to try the real player ones if you have it.
> Also, depending on which match you listened too they may have had far too
> many people trying to access it, have a test of a low interest match to
see.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.simplydv.co.uk
>
> "John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
> > wxp pro , windows media player 9 , applied all updates from
> > windowsupdate.com
> >
> > severe problems listening to a live radio broadcast of a euro 2004
soccer
> > game
> >
> > this was a web-stream of an english radio station's live broadcast. the
> > stream was provided by the http://www.bbc.com/sports website -- via
their
> > "BBC Sport Player"
> >
> > starting the "BBC Sport Player" opens a separate window and provides the
> > option to select "Real Player" or "Windows Media" ... i selected
"Windows
> > Media"
> >
> > one of the panels in the "BBC Sport Player" window contains the familiar
> > Windows Media control panel ...
> >
> > the panel has a link titled "Optimized 9 Series Experience" that opens a
> > Microsoft website
> >
> > "Fast Streaming with Windows Media 9 Series" ... so apparently the
latest
> > windows server 2003 technology was being used
> >
> > for the entire 2 hours of the broadcast , the sound would stop every
> minute
> > or so , and then restart ...
> >
> > whenever the broadcast would stop , the Windows Media panel would say
> > "bufferring" , but the usual "percentage bufferred" indicator was not
> > present
> >
> > i actually found that closing the "BBC Sport Player" window , clearing
all
> > temporary internet files , and then restarting the "BBC Sport Player"
> > tended to be a faster method to re-attain content delivery

June 15, 2004 3:03:00 AM

I guessed it was England, I'd think a mix of not guessing right and watching
it themsleves :)  :)

I also hate real player, and wouldn't put it on unless it was absolutely
neccessary, and with much care.
Graham

--

news:o 7Wcf2kUEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > > Windows Media control panel ...
> > >
> > > the panel has a link titled "Optimized 9 Series Experience" that opens
> > > Microsoft website
> > >
> > > "Fast Streaming with Windows Media 9 Series" ... so apparently the
> latest
> > > windows server 2003 technology was being used
> > >
> > > for the entire 2 hours of the broadcast , the sound would stop every
> > minute
> > > or so , and then restart ...
> > >
> > > whenever the broadcast would stop , the Windows Media panel would say
> > > "bufferring" , but the usual "percentage bufferred" indicator was not
> > > present
> > >
> > > i actually found that closing the "BBC Sport Player" window , clearing
> all
> > > temporary internet files , and then restarting the "BBC Sport Player"
> > > tended to be a faster method to re-attain content delivery

June 16, 2004 1:51:05 PM

Heh heh ... the good ol' Not For Real Player ...

Any suggestions to improve my listening experience ?

I am listening to Spain Greece right now and it is just as bad as England
France.

> I guessed it was England, I'd think a mix of not guessing right and
watching
> it themsleves :)  :)
>
> I also hate real player, and wouldn't put it on unless it was absolutely
> neccessary, and with much care.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.simplydv.co.uk
>
> "John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
> news:o 7Wcf2kUEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Heh heh ... well probably not much more interest than England v. France
> > but shouldn't they have anticipated that ?
> >
> > The bandwidth I've tried has always been very high... either 11mbps
> wireless
> > (at a cafe) or cable modem (at home) or T1 (at work) ...
> >
> > I hate to put Real Player on my machine ... they try to sneak-in all
sorts
> > of junk ... it always seems to cause problems. I wonder if there is a
> > "minimalist" version of Real Player ?
> >

> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
> message
> > news:o QsUYOjUEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > What sort of connection do you have? The BBC state it is for over
256k.
> > > BBC have only recently, I believe, started using WMP files, so it may
be
> > > better to try the real player ones if you have it.
> > > Also, depending on which match you listened too they may have had far
> too
> > > many people trying to access it, have a test of a low interest match
> > see.
> > > Graham
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > >
> > > "John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message

> > soccer

> the
> > their

> the
> > "Windows

> familiar

> > latest

> > > minute

> > all
Player"

June 16, 2004 10:06:07 PM

Hey John, I have the same woes as you. I would like to buy the games
via PPV, but my cable company isn't offering them until semi-finals.
Hopefully, England will still be in the tourney! :(  I also don't
like the real player and all of the useless extra stuff it dumps on
(regardless if you uncheck it all during install). I did manage to
find a slightly older version. In fact, this site is devoted to older
versions of software. Highly recommend it.
http://www.oldversion.com/

has older real player. Don't go too far back (like 1.0), cause it
won't generally work for video. should help though.
I am trying to find some way of visually WATCHING the game vs the
Swiss tomorrow. I found out sky sports has live streaming video, but
you have to be UK resident to subscribe... WAH! the hunt for good
sporting events continues. you're not alone in this struggle. good
luck!

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message news:<uxSteI8UEHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Heh heh ... the good ol' Not For Real Player ...
>
> Any suggestions to improve my listening experience ?
>
> I am listening to Spain Greece right now and it is just as bad as England
> France.
>
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I guessed it was England, I'd think a mix of not guessing right and
> watching
> > it themsleves :)  :)
> >
> > I also hate real player, and wouldn't put it on unless it was absolutely
> > neccessary, and with much care.
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> >
> > "John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
> > news:o 7Wcf2kUEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Heh heh ... well probably not much more interest than England v. France
> > > but shouldn't they have anticipated that ?
> > >
> > > The bandwidth I've tried has always been very high... either 11mbps
> wireless
> > > (at a cafe) or cable modem (at home) or T1 (at work) ...
> > >
> > > I hate to put Real Player on my machine ... they try to sneak-in all
> sorts
> > > of junk ... it always seems to cause problems. I wonder if there is a
> > > "minimalist" version of Real Player ?
> > >

> > > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
> message
> > > news:o QsUYOjUEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> 256k.
> be
> too
> see.

> soccer

> the
> their

> the
> "Windows

> familiar

> opens

> latest

> minute

> say
> not

> clearing
> all
> Player"

June 16, 2004 10:08:29 PM

I did find some website in asia that had video feeds, but the lag on
them was just too much. still looking...

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message news:<uxSteI8UEHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Heh heh ... the good ol' Not For Real Player ...
>
> Any suggestions to improve my listening experience ?
>
> I am listening to Spain Greece right now and it is just as bad as England
> France.
>
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I guessed it was England, I'd think a mix of not guessing right and
> watching
> > it themsleves :)  :)
> >
> > I also hate real player, and wouldn't put it on unless it was absolutely
> > neccessary, and with much care.
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> >
> > "John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
> > news:o 7Wcf2kUEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Heh heh ... well probably not much more interest than England v. France
> > > but shouldn't they have anticipated that ?
> > >
> > > The bandwidth I've tried has always been very high... either 11mbps
> wireless
> > > (at a cafe) or cable modem (at home) or T1 (at work) ...
> > >
> > > I hate to put Real Player on my machine ... they try to sneak-in all
> sorts
> > > of junk ... it always seems to cause problems. I wonder if there is a
> > > "minimalist" version of Real Player ?
> > >

> > > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
> message
> > > news:o QsUYOjUEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...