WDS and AP roaming

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 12, 2004 4:19:19 PM

Hi all,

I've set up my network to use two wireless AP's that connect to each other
using WDS. One of the AP's is connected to the WAN. This covers my house and
garden nicely and allows me to have good connection speeds all over.

However, it seems that if I roam from one location to another with a
portable, the network card does not aggressively reassociate with the closest
AP.

Is there a way to make it switch over to a closer/better AP faster and
automatically ? (I know I can do this manually if I use different SSID's, but
this is not really a good solution for the other non-IT people in the house
;) )

Kind Regards,

Ritchie

More about : wds roaming

August 14, 2004 4:09:17 AM

Hi.
Use the same SSID, but put each AP on a different Channel.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ritchie Houtmeyers" <Ritchie Houtmeyers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:56E7D742-BC10-4E0E-8B74-BE28ED7434C2@microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
>

> I've set up my network to use two wireless AP's that connect to each other
> using WDS. One of the AP's is connected to the WAN. This covers my house
and
> garden nicely and allows me to have good connection speeds all over.
>
> However, it seems that if I roam from one location to another with a
> portable, the network card does not aggressively reassociate with the
closest
> AP.
>
> Is there a way to make it switch over to a closer/better AP faster and
> automatically ? (I know I can do this manually if I use different SSID's,
but
> this is not really a good solution for the other non-IT people in the
house
> ;) )
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Ritchie
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 14, 2004 3:27:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I have to put the APs on the same channel since
they are communicating wirelessly (only one of both APs is on the wired
network). Any other way ?

!