Maxtor Drive failing SMART test

slim

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I have a 30 GB Maxtor drive (about 3 years old), that is failing the SMART
test on every boot.

The drive seems to be perfectly functional.

Should I just trash this drive, is it usually definetly bad when it shows
status BAD for the SMART test?

cjt

slim wrote:
> I have a 30 GB Maxtor drive (about 3 years old), that is failing the SMART
> test on every boot.
>
> The drive seems to be perfectly functional.
>
> Should I just trash this drive, is it usually definetly bad when it shows
> status BAD for the SMART test?

Why chance it?

Previously slim <ezrathedog@hot-nospam-mail.com> wrote:
> I have a 30 GB Maxtor drive (about 3 years old), that is failing the SMART
> test on every boot.

> The drive seems to be perfectly functional.

> Should I just trash this drive, is it usually definetly bad when it shows
> status BAD for the SMART test?

From my experience: yes, definitely. For more information
get a SMART query tool and use it to find out which SMART
value triggerd the 'bad' status.

Arno

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:2t2apkF1qhmhnU2@uni-berlin.de
> Previously slim <ezrathedog@hot-nospam-mail.com> wrote:
> > I have a 30 GB Maxtor drive (about 3 years old), that is failing the SMART
> > test on every boot.
>
> > The drive seems to be perfectly functional.
>
> > Should I just trash this drive, is it usually definetly bad when it shows
> > status BAD for the SMART test?
>
> From my experience: yes, definitely.

Yup, why check your cables and powersupply if you can buy
a new drive, right Arnie? One has to support one's local retailer.

> For more information get a SMART query tool and use it to
> find out which SMART value triggerd the 'bad' status.

Why bother if you are 'definetely' going to trash the drive.