HDD lost and found, but not recognized

A couple of weeks ago I tried to make the periodic backup image of my
primary drive C using Drive Image 5, But DI-5 locked up with a message
saying the it couldn't write to the mbr because it was protected, the first
time that had happened. I ran the utility IVINIT and fixed that problem,
but immediately ran into another one. The removable drive that I used to
store the images and other backups disappeared from My Computer as well as
from the Explorer list. It still showed up in the bios setup. I fixed that
by identifying it as a removable drive in its Properties and it was listed
again. But then when I tried to see if the older images and files were
still there and possibly copy them to the active disk I got the message the
drive was not formatted!

I'm using Win98. Would anyone have a clue as to what is happening and what
I might do about it to get it back to normal?

Thanks, Marty
1 answer Last reply
More about lost found recognized

    "Martin" <marty123@optonline.net> wrote in message news:2Nibd.10438$HX6.6904551@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net
    > A couple of weeks ago I tried to make the periodic backup image of my
    > primary drive C using Drive Image 5, But DI-5 locked up with a message
    > saying the it couldn't write to the mbr because it was protected, the first
    > time that had happened. I ran the utility IVINIT and fixed that problem,
    > but immediately ran into another one.

    > The removable drive that I used to store the images and other backups
    > disappeared from My Computer as well as from the Explorer list.
    > It still showed up in the bios setup.

    So you lost the MBR or the partition bootsector.

    > I fixed that by identifying it as a removable drive in its Properties and
    > it was listed again.

    Because it was now like a big floppy drive. Fixed disk drives that aren't
    partitioned don't show up in Explorer/MyComputer. Fixed disk drives
    too can be made to show up by identifying them as a removable drive.

    > But then when I tried to see if the older images and files were still there
    > and possibly copy them to the active disk I got the message the drive was
    > not formatted!

    Very likely because you lost the MBR or the partition bootsector. Remo-
    vable disk drives are allowed to be formatted without being partitioned.

    > I'm using Win98. Would anyone have a clue as to what is happening and what
    > I might do about it to get it back to normal?

    See posts by Svend Olaf Mikkelsen or Zvi Netiv.

    > Thanks, Marty

Hard Drives Storage