DVD's are not recognized

hello,
i have a dvd-rom and i have played a dvd once before, but now my windows XP is telling me that there is no disc in the drive when i have put the DVD in. so i can not play any DVD's now. do any of you know how to fix this problem or have any ideas. they would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
scott

Have you removed any software for playing dvd's from the system? or done
anything that might have upset the pc since last playing one? Can you use
system restore to go back?
Try cleaning the disc/player as well!
Graham

--