Where to go after HL2?

I've taken my time and savoured this game like a fine wine, but now I've
reached the final scene, There's going to be a big HL2-shaped hole in my
life - at least till Alyx comes to the rescue.

It was like this when I finished HL1. There was just no other action game of
the same class. I tried Quake II but just felt indifferent to it (id games
are very over-rated).

So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while? I've
already finished Far Cry. Any more?
13 answers Last reply
More about where

    Captain Black wrote:

    > So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while? I've
    > already finished Far Cry. Any more?

    Would you consider an action RPG like Vampire: the Masquerade -
    Bloodlines? It's a RPG powered by Valve's Source engine. It's not
    specifically a shooter, but you can opt to shoot your way through the
    whole thing if you want to.

    It's a really enjoyable game. It's gory and mature(sexy), with lots of
    startle scares and fighting. It's fun to be a vampire. You should try it.

    "Captain Black" <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote in message
    > I've taken my time and savoured this game like a fine wine, but now I've
    > reached the final scene, There's going to be a big HL2-shaped hole in my
    > life - at least till Alyx comes to the rescue.
    >
    > It was like this when I finished HL1. There was just no other action game
    of
    > the same class. I tried Quake II but just felt indifferent to it (id games
    > are very over-rated).
    >
    > So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while? I've
    > already finished Far Cry. Any more?

    Have you tried Tribes Vengence? I really enjoyed that. Worth a shot.

    Riddick
    Splinter Cell:CT
    Doom3 (don't let whiners keep you away from a great game)

    rms

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:30:47 GMT, "Captain Black"
    <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:

    >So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while? I've
    >already finished Far Cry. Any more?

    HL2, again. I enjoyed replaying it just as much as the first time, I
    was able to savour it more. I am on my third replay now.

    Captain Black wrote:
    > I've taken my time and savoured this game like a fine wine, but now I've
    > reached the final scene, There's going to be a big HL2-shaped hole in my
    > life - at least till Alyx comes to the rescue.
    >
    > It was like this when I finished HL1. There was just no other action game of
    > the same class. I tried Quake II but just felt indifferent to it (id games
    > are very over-rated).
    >
    > So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while? I've
    > already finished Far Cry. Any more?

    Painkiller is also fun, if not entirely as riveting as HalfLife2. But
    why stop playing HL2, right when the nude Alyx mod is about to come out >8-D

    http://www.digitalutopia.tk/

    What was that you said about Alyx coming to the rescue...

    "Captain Black" <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote in message
    > I've taken my time and savoured this game like a fine wine, but now
    > I've reached the final scene, There's going to be a big HL2-shaped
    > hole in my life - at least till Alyx comes to the rescue.
    >
    > It was like this when I finished HL1. There was just no other action
    > game of the same class. I tried Quake II but just felt indifferent to
    > it (id games are very over-rated).
    >
    > So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while?
    > I've already finished Far Cry. Any more?

    Id games are far more multi-player oriented. Doom3 is the only one I
    really felt was even partly story driven.
    HL and HL2 are good stories from start to finish.
    McG.

    > What was that you said about Alyx coming to the rescue...

    Valve is planning some followups

    > So what other game would you recommend

    If you're in to WWII sims - Brothers in Arms could be a choice (Or Call
    of Duty)
    Riddick is out (soon?) but apparently a bit buggy?
    Waiting for S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
    http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/

    Waiting for HL2 Mods, some already out
    http://mods.moddb.com/?search=true&mf=0&mod=&game=61&type=0&dev%5B%5D=1&order=game_name&sort=asc&list=40

    Play HL2 MP on the internet
    Make maps for HL2

    HL2 can keep me occupied for a decade
    But I'm just fanboy :-)

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    > Make maps for HL2

    Yeah, then I'll have something to do when I've finished Far Cry :)

    I had a great (IMHO) idea for a HL SP campaign. Made use of Spirit to
    have soldiers fighting on your side and the Loader made a critical
    appearance as well as some of the models that never made it into the
    game. There was a train crash, a misty moor (populated by zombies), a
    stand-off in a farmhouse, a deserted mountainside village, a frantic
    gunfight in a large church, sewers, a quarry, an underground
    'scientific research' complex (of course - it wouldn't be HL without
    that), a real working cable car, a snowy mountain hideaway, two
    factions of soldiers (one of whom was on your side), duplicity and
    double crossing and, of course, an open-ended finale.

    Incredibly ambitious for my first substantial map. I only built a few
    of the maps. I might resurrect it in Source and try to finish it, but
    now the game is set in the future, rather than the present, I don't
    think my ideas work as well.

    But making maps is engrossing and time-consuming and makes you feel you
    got your money's worth out of the game, so I recommend it if you're the
    patient type.

    On 4/6/2005 12:30 PM Captain Black brightened our day with:

    >I've taken my time and savoured this game like a fine wine, but now I've
    >reached the final scene, There's going to be a big HL2-shaped hole in my
    >life - at least till Alyx comes to the rescue.
    >
    >It was like this when I finished HL1. There was just no other action game of
    >the same class. I tried Quake II but just felt indifferent to it (id games
    >are very over-rated).
    >
    >So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while? I've
    >already finished Far Cry. Any more?

    It's short, but try Star Wars: Republic Commando. I freakin' love this
    game.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:

    > Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
    > http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/

    That's TWO votes for Bloodlines! :)

    Are you sure you are done?

    http://www.levels4you.com/sections/halflife2/index.l4y?cat=220

    Mox

    Desosa wrote:
    > "Captain Black" <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've taken my time and savoured this game like a fine wine, but now I've
    >>reached the final scene, There's going to be a big HL2-shaped hole in my
    >>life - at least till Alyx comes to the rescue.
    >>
    >>It was like this when I finished HL1. There was just no other action game
    >
    > of
    >
    >>the same class. I tried Quake II but just felt indifferent to it (id games
    >>are very over-rated).
    >>
    >>So what other game would you recommend to take its place for a while? I've
    >>already finished Far Cry. Any more?
    >>

    > Have you tried Tribes Vengence? I really enjoyed that. Worth a shot.

    VU has already dropped support for the game, and cancelled the latest patch.

    Better to just get Tribes 1 and 2 on the cheap (in T1's case, free)

Games Video Games