Half-Life 1 Internet Game Confusion

Last response: in Video Games
April 6, 2005 11:59:14 PM

I've been trying to set up a Half-Life 1 deathmatch server with confusing
results.

When I try to do it within the game (ie, run Half-Life 1, click Create
Server,etc)
friends on the internet can't see the server.

When I run a dedicated server, they _can_.

However, when I do this, then attempt to join my own dedicated server,
my Steam ticket keeps expiring.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

P.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:59:15 PM

> When I run a dedicated server, they _can_.

Are using the game menu or hlds

> However, when I do this, then attempt to join my own dedicated
server,
> my Steam ticket keeps expiring.

Use hlds and create a new (free) steam account for the dedicated server
Running a dedicated server is free from pay (except HW/OS/ISP)

Basically your steam account can only be logged into the steam network
once
As soon as you login from a "different" location the other login will
be cancelled automatically

HTH
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:24:33 AM

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Are using the game menu or hlds

Am using the game menu. Only just heard of HLDS for
the first time today. :)

> As soon as you login from a "different" location the other login will
> be cancelled automatically

I did actually find a way around; instead of
trying to connect to my server through
it's external IP, I use the machine's internal
IP address. Works OK.

What are the advantages of using HLDS
over the game menu Dedicated Server?

Also, when I create a game using