Half-Life 1 Internet Game Confusion

I've been trying to set up a Half-Life 1 deathmatch server with confusing
results.

When I try to do it within the game (ie, run Half-Life 1, click Create
Server,etc)
friends on the internet can't see the server.

When I run a dedicated server, they _can_.

However, when I do this, then attempt to join my own dedicated server,
my Steam ticket keeps expiring.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

P.
2 answers Last reply
More about half life internet game confusion

    > When I run a dedicated server, they _can_.

    Are using the game menu or hlds

    > However, when I do this, then attempt to join my own dedicated
    server,
    > my Steam ticket keeps expiring.

    Use hlds and create a new (free) steam account for the dedicated server
    Running a dedicated server is free from pay (except HW/OS/ISP)

    Basically your steam account can only be logged into the steam network
    once
    As soon as you login from a "different" location the other login will
    be cancelled automatically

    HTH

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Are using the game menu or hlds

    Am using the game menu. Only just heard of HLDS for
    the first time today. :)

    > As soon as you login from a "different" location the other login will
    > be cancelled automatically

    I did actually find a way around; instead of
    trying to connect to my server through
    it's external IP, I use the machine's internal
    IP address. Works OK.

    What are the advantages of using HLDS
    over the game menu Dedicated Server?

    Also, when I create a game using
    Create Server from _within_ Half-Life
    1 (not the Steam menu), how comes
    people outside can't see the server? Is
    that option only for LAN games?

    Cheers.

    P.

Dedicated Server Games Servers Internet Video Games