Adding SATA Data Drive to PATA System - Help Needed.

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 18, 2004 3:30:26 AM

I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 19, 2004 5:08:02 AM

Previously jmvcq <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote:
> I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
> SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.

> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!

Is the drive recognized by the SATA BIOS during startup?

Arno

a b G Storage
October 19, 2004 8:19:08 AM

In article <2tj7niF20oapvU3@uni-berlin.de>, me@privacy.net says...
> Previously jmvcq <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote:
> > I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> > drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
> > SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.
>
> > I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!
>
> Is the drive recognized by the SATA BIOS during startup?

Hmmm... I dont *think* there are SATA BIOS on the A7N8X-E MOBO. Or am I
missing something?
October 19, 2004 8:34:05 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:30:26 GMT, jmvcq <phlogiston@neverspam.com>
wrote:

>I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
>drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
>SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.
>
>I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!

I had a similar problem. After much research and trial and error, I
had to reinstall windows and during the setup, press F6 to install
SATA drivers such as you would for installing a SCSI drive.

PaPa.
!