Software to backup the operating system on drive C

I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that
will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
computer,
I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't have an
operating system to use).

Hoping for a reply

Regards Brian
18 answers Last reply
More about software backup operating system drive

    "Brian" wrote:
    >I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that
    > will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
    > drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
    > computer,
    > I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
    > operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't
    > have an operating system to use).

    Is your machine a desktop or laptop or handheld or what?

    *TimDaniels*

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:01:54 +1300, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

    >I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that
    >will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
    >drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
    >computer,
    >I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
    >operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't have an
    >operating system to use).

    True Image 8 (www.acronis.com) has a Linux-based bootable rescue disc
    (floppy or CD) that supports a pretty wide range of hardware, but
    you'd want to test it with your system. You'd also want to do an
    integrity test after the backup but before attempting the restore. It
    will write to DVDs - check the faq at their site.

    If you can buy or borrow an external HD, this is much faster than CD
    or DVD. Personally, I make 2 separate backups before wiping out my
    main drive; one on HD, and one on DVD, but some consider me overly
    cautious.

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message news:0096n0tf6hgekrnoffo3h0b7nh8v1hr9vm@4ax.com
    > I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that will
    > write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on drive C
    > then restore the system when I put the new drive into my computer, I'm
    > considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the ope-
    > rating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't have an
    > operating system to use).

    What would the point of making backups be if there is no way of restoring them?

    > Hoping for a reply
    >
    > Regards Brian

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that
    > will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
    > drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
    > computer,
    > I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
    > operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't have an
    > operating system to use).

    The help system for DI7 says that if you can't boot to windows (eg because
    your HD is blank) you use the PowerQuest Recovery Environment (PQRE)
    instead..

    Quote: "Restore the entire drive using the System Restore Wizard from the
    PowerQuest Recovery Environment (PQRE) on the bootable PowerQuest CD"

    There is a whole section with step by step notes but the formatting is lost
    when I paste it below.

    Send me an email (Remove BOX to get my real address) and I'll send you the
    instructions with formatting.

    Whatever you decide to do - Always remove the old drive that contains your
    data before you attempts the restore - It's too easy to overwrite it or
    reformat it by mistake if you leave it in the system. Also WinXP can get
    well confused if it's booted with two identical drives installed.

    Colin

    Restoring a Single Drive Using the PQRE
    ============================

    If you cannot restore a file or folder while the machine is online (because
    you cannot boot into the operating system or because of a lack of free hard
    drive space), you can use the System Restore wizard from the PowerQuest
    Recovery Environment (PQRE) to return a drive on the machine to full
    functionality.

    You can also use the PQRE to perform a bare metal recovery of a machine if
    you have suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure.

    Under the PQRE, you can restore a single drive, multiple drives, or multiple
    drives using a system index file (.sV2i).

    IMPORTANT! The PQRE requires a minimum of 256 MB of RAM to run.
    Insert the PowerQuest CD into the media drive of the machine.
    Immediately reboot the machine.

    You may need to modify your system to make it bootable from the CD. See I
    can't boot from the CD..
    (Optional) If necessary, you can install special RAID or SCSI drivers for
    the machine's hard disk subsystem by pressing <F6> when prompted during the
    boot into PQRE.

    See I can't access the local drive where my backups are saved.
    Watch the computer screen. When the prompt "Press any key to boot from CD"
    appears, you have approximately five seconds to press a key to begin booting
    into the PQRE from the CD.
    (Optional) From the Time Zone drop-down list of the PQRE main window, select
    the time zone location you are in relative to the location of the backup
    image store.
    (Optional) Select the language in which you want the System Restore wizard
    and Backup Image Browser to display.
    Click System Restore.
    IMPORTANT! Drive letters under the PQRE may not match those in the Windows
    environment.
    Click Restore drives, then click Next.
    Click Single drive, then click Next.
    Specify the location of the backup image file to restore, or click Browse
    and navigate to the backup image file you want.
    If you click Browse and cannot see or browse the network from the Open
    dialog, type the name of the machine and share that holds your backup
    images, in the File name text box (example: \\machine_name\share_name\),
    then press <Enter>. Select a backup image file, then click Open to add it to
    the text field.
    If you are still unable to see your network after typing the machine name
    and share name, you may need to map a drive to see and browse the network.
    See Network Connectivity During a Restore from the PQRE for more
    information.
    If the backup image was assigned a password, you must enter it now.
    Click Next.
    Select the drive where you want to restore the backup image file.
    Note that some of the drives listed may be invalid selections because there
    is not enough free space for the restored backup image file or because you
    do not have rights to the drive.
    (Optional) To free disk space, select a drive, then click Delete Drive. This
    will free space if a single drive space on the hard drive is not adequate.
    IMPORTANT! When you click Delete Drive, the drive is only virtually deleted
    at that point; the actual deletion of the drive takes place after you click
    Finish in the wizard. If you change your mind before clicking Finish, go
    back to the Restore Destination dialog and click Undo Delete to "restore"
    the drive.
    Click Next.
    Select or deselect the restore options you want.
    The options available will depend on the restore location you selected in
    the previous step.
    Restore options Description
    Verify backup image before restore This option is useful if you want to
    determine whether a backup image file is valid or corrupt prior to the start
    of a restoration. The backup image is checked to see that the internal data
    structures in the backup image file match the data that is available, and
    the backup image file can be uncompressed (if you selected a compression
    level at the time of creation) and create the expected amount of data. If
    the backup image is invalid, the restoration will not continue.
    This option is selected by default.
    Check for file system errors after restore Enable error checking. The hard
    drive is checked for errors after the backup image file has been restored.
    Resize drive to fill unallocated space Expand the drive that is being
    restored to occupy the destination drive's remaining free space.

    Advanced Restore Options Description
    Set drive active (for booting OS) Use Set drive active to make the restored
    drive the active partition (the drive the machine boots from). Only one
    drive can be active at a time. To boot the machine, it must be on the first
    drive, and it must contain an operating system. When the machine boots, it
    reads the partition table of the first drive to find out which drive is
    active and boots from that location. If the drive is not bootable or you are
    not certain that it is, have a boot disk ready.
    Set drive active is valid for basic disks only (not dynamic disks).
    Partition type Click Primary partition to restore as a primary partition.
    Click Logical partition to restore as a logical partition inside an extended
    partition. (This option is not applicable for dynamic disks.)
    Restore original disk signature Restores the original physical disk
    signature of the hard drive.
    Disk signatures are included in Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 Advanced
    Server, and Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition (SP3 and later) and are
    necessary before the hard drive can be used.
    This option is recommended for advanced users.
    Restore MBR Restore the master boot record. The master boot record is
    contained in the first sector of the first physical hard drive. The MBR
    consists of a master boot program and a partition table that describes the
    disk partitions. The master boot program looks at the partition table to see
    which primary partition is active. It then starts the boot program from the
    boot sector of the active partition.
    This option is recommended for advanced users.

    Click Next.
    (Optional) Select Reboot after finish if you want the machine to reboot
    automatically after the backup images are restored.
    Click Finish > Yes to restore the backup image.

    "CWatters" wrote:

    [....................]
    >WinXP can get well confused if it's booted with two
    > identical drives installed.

    That only happens when the drive with the newly
    copied WinXP is booted for the 1st time. If the
    old WinXP is visible then, the new WinXP will point
    back to some files in the original WinXP. By having
    the old WinXP invisible during that 1st boot up, the
    confusion is avoided. Thereafter, the new WinXP
    can see the old WinXP at boot time, and it won't
    "get confused". Curiously, the new WinXP can see
    *other* WinXPs besides the copied one during its
    1st boot up, and it won't be confused by *them*.
    There seems to be some feature within itself that
    it looks for in recognizing its "identical twin" that
    gets changed after the 1st boot up.

    *TimDaniels*

    "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:SQTcd.282361$OX4.14494791@phobos.telenet-ops.be
    > "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message news:0096n0tf6hgekrnoffo3h0b7nh8v1hr9vm@4ax.com...
    > > I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that
    > > will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
    > > drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
    > > computer,
    > > I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
    > > operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't have an
    > > operating system to use).
    >
    > The help system for DI7 says that if you can't boot to windows (eg because
    > your HD is blank) you use the PowerQuest Recovery Environment (PQRE)
    > instead..
    >
    > Quote: "Restore the entire drive using the System Restore Wizard from the
    > PowerQuest Recovery Environment (PQRE) on the bootable PowerQuest CD"
    >
    > There is a whole section with step by step notes but the formatting is lost
    > when I paste it below.
    >
    > Send me an email (Remove BOX to get my real address) and I'll send you the
    > instructions with formatting.
    >
    > Whatever you decide to do - Always remove the old drive that contains your
    > data before you attempts the restore - It's too easy to overwrite it or
    > reformat it by mistake if you leave it in the system.

    > Also WinXP can get
    > well confused if it's booted with two identical drives installed.

    Not only WinXP.

    > Colin
    >
    > Restoring a Single Drive Using the PQRE
    > ============================
    >
    > If you cannot restore a file or folder while the machine is online (because
    > you cannot boot into the operating system or because of a lack of free hard
    > drive space), you can use the System Restore wizard from the PowerQuest
    > Recovery Environment (PQRE) to return a drive on the machine to full
    > functionality.
    >
    > You can also use the PQRE to perform a bare metal recovery of a machine if
    > you have suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure.
    >
    > Under the PQRE, you can restore a single drive, multiple drives, or multiple
    > drives using a system index file (.sV2i).
    >

    > IMPORTANT! The PQRE requires a minimum of 256 MB of RAM to run.

    Bloody hell! Does it show that on the box before they sell it?
    Does it say that before you break the seal and agree with their terms
    for giving it back?
    Does the software warn before you make a backup that you may not be
    able to restore when your memory is less than 256MB?

    Geez, speaking of bloatware.

    [snip]

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote:
    >>I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that
    >> will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
    >> drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
    >> computer,
    >> I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
    >> operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't
    >> have an operating system to use).
    >
    > Is your machine a desktop or laptop or handheld or what?
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    It's a desktop computer

    Regards Brian

    Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

    >I need to replace a faulty drive and are looking for a program that
    >will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
    >drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
    >computer,
    >I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
    >operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't have an
    >operating system to use).
    >
    >Hoping for a reply
    >
    >Regards Brian

    Thanks for your replies.
    I'm told that I should be able to use a imaging program like Drive
    Image and plug in my new hard drive as a second hard drive then copy
    from the old hard drive to the new hard drive using drive image and
    this will create the partitions etc on the new drive.
    Will this work?
    Do I need to partition the new drive first as one partition?

    The old drive is partitioned in to 6 parts.
    I'm using a desktop computer

    Regards Brian

    "Brian" wrote:
    > I'm told that I should be able to use a imaging program
    > like Drive Image and plug in my new hard drive as a
    > second hard drive then copy from the old hard drive to
    > the new hard drive using drive image and this will create
    > the partitions etc on the new drive.
    > Will this work?
    > Do I need to partition the new drive first as one partition?
    >
    > The old drive is partitioned in to 6 parts.
    > I'm using a desktop computer

    Great. Desktops are easy, and cloning a HD onto
    another HD is standard fare for Drive Image. I use
    Drive Image 7.01 (which now forms the bulk of
    Symantec's Ghost 9.0 due to the buyout of Power
    Quest), and it will copy - file formatting and all -
    everything in one partition to another HD without
    having to create the partition yourself on the
    destination HD. I'm not an expert on the Master
    Boot Record, but I would recommend that you
    tell Drive Image to copy over the MBR when you
    copy the 1st partition. You can use WinXP's
    Disk Management to keep track of the disk space
    on the 2nd HD (rt-click My Computer, select Manage,
    then select Disk Management.).

    If the original HD is jumpered as Master (or at the
    end position on a dual IDE cable if you're using
    Cable Select), jumper the 2nd HD as Slave (or put
    it in the cable's mid position for Cable Select). This
    is only so that you don't have to readjust the BIOS'
    boot sequence. (Drive Image doesn't care or even
    know if you're copying Master-to-Slave or Slave-to-
    Master.) The only caution that should be added is
    that you have the 2nd HD isolated from the 1st HD
    when booting up the 2nd HD for the 1st time. (That
    was 1st mentioned in this forum by Rod Speed/
    Folkert Rienstra/etc.) You can just disconnect the
    1st HD's IDE cable to do that. Thereafter, you can
    have both HDs visible to each other during boot-up,
    and the booted system will just see the other HD as
    a file structure. Again, you can see the layout of the
    partitions and how they are named by using Disk
    Management. If you're comfortable with using the
    BIOS to set parameters, you can select which HD
    boots by just adjusting the boot sequence in the BIOS.
    Otherwise, you can adjust the boot.ini file at C:\boot.ini
    on each HD so you use WinXP's boot manager to
    select which partition on which HD to load the OS from
    if both HDs are running at the same time. If you run
    just one HD at a time, you're in the vanilla of vanilla
    worlds, and you should have no trouble.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message news:fir9n0p0j2757jhkbuom6959lag86i68o1@4ax.com
    > "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Brian" wrote:
    > > > I need to replace a faulty drive and am looking for a program that
    > > > will write an image to DVD's so I can backup my operating system on
    > > > drive C then restore the system when I put the new drive into my
    > > > computer,
    > > > I'm considering "Drive Image" but I don't know if you can restore the
    > > > operating system from DVD's when booting up in DOS (as I won't
    > > > have an operating system to use).
    > >
    > > Is your machine a desktop or laptop or handheld or what?
    > >
    > > *TimDaniels*
    >
    > It's a desktop computer

    So use the free software that the drive makers offer to copy your old
    drive to the new one.

    > Regards Brian

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote:
    >> I'm told that I should be able to use a imaging program
    >> like Drive Image and plug in my new hard drive as a
    >> second hard drive then copy from the old hard drive to
    >> the new hard drive using drive image and this will create
    >> the partitions etc on the new drive.
    >> Will this work?
    >> Do I need to partition the new drive first as one partition?
    >>
    >> The old drive is partitioned in to 6 parts.
    >> I'm using a desktop computer
    >

    > Great. Desktops are easy, and cloning a HD onto
    > another HD is standard fare for Drive Image. I use
    > Drive Image 7.01 (which now forms the bulk of
    > Symantec's Ghost 9.0 due to the buyout of Power
    > Quest), and it will copy - file formatting and all -
    > everything in one partition to another HD without
    > having to create the partition yourself on the
    > destination HD. I'm not an expert on the Master
    > Boot Record, but I would recommend that you
    > tell Drive Image to copy over the MBR when you
    > copy the 1st partition. You can use WinXP's
    > Disk Management to keep track of the disk space
    > on the 2nd HD (rt-click My Computer, select Manage,
    > then select Disk Management.).
    >
    > If the original HD is jumpered as Master (or at the
    > end position on a dual IDE cable if you're using
    > Cable Select), jumper the 2nd HD as Slave (or put
    > it in the cable's mid position for Cable Select). This
    > is only so that you don't have to readjust the BIOS'
    > boot sequence. (Drive Image doesn't care or even
    > know if you're copying Master-to-Slave or Slave-to-
    > Master.) The only caution that should be added is
    > that you have the 2nd HD isolated from the 1st HD
    > when booting up the 2nd HD for the 1st time. (That
    > was 1st mentioned in this forum by Rod Speed/
    > Folkert Rienstra/etc.) You can just disconnect the
    > 1st HD's IDE cable to do that. Thereafter, you can
    > have both HDs visible to each other during boot-up,
    > and the booted system will just see the other HD as
    > a file structure. Again, you can see the layout of the
    > partitions and how they are named by using Disk
    > Management. If you're comfortable with using the
    > BIOS to set parameters, you can select which HD
    > boots by just adjusting the boot sequence in the BIOS.
    > Otherwise, you can adjust the boot.ini file at C:\boot.ini
    > on each HD so you use WinXP's boot manager to
    > select which partition on which HD to load the OS from
    > if both HDs are running at the same time. If you run
    > just one HD at a time, you're in the vanilla of vanilla
    > worlds, and you should have no trouble.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Thanks for the information Timothy.
    My drive is divided into partitions of C,D,E,F,G,H
    I select the Copy drive image and Drive Image wants me to select a
    partition rather than copy the while 60 gig drive to the new drive.
    What am I doing wrong as I want to copy the whole hard drive and not
    just a single partition of the hard drive?

    Regards Brian

    "Brian" wrote:
    > My drive is divided into partitions of C,D,E,F,G,H
    > I select the Copy drive image and Drive Image
    > wants me to select a partition rather than copy the
    > while 60 gig drive to the new drive. What am I
    > doing wrong as I want to copy the whole hard drive
    > and not just a single partition of the hard drive?

    I have never had to copy a hard drive that had
    more than one partition, and I as far as I know,
    Drive Image should be named Partition Image.
    Are you saying that you are unable to designate
    individual source partitions specifically? As for
    the destination hard drive, Drive Image just adds
    another partition to the ones which may already
    be there.

    *TimDaniels*
    the partitio

    > I'm told that I should be able to use a imaging program like Drive
    > Image and plug in my new hard drive as a second hard drive then copy
    > from the old hard drive to the new hard drive using drive image and
    > this will create the partitions etc on the new drive.
    > Will this work?

    I believe so. Just be really carefull. I've seen a few posts from people who
    have either formatted the wrong drive first or who have restored a backup to
    the wrong drive. It's prossibly risky to assume that drive/partion letters
    are the same under PQRE (or any other backup program) as they are under
    Windows. I saw a magazine article that recommended making all partions a
    slightly different size as a double check (eg instead of 4 x 20G partions
    set it up as 18,19,20 and a 21 G partion).

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote:
    >> My drive is divided into partitions of C,D,E,F,G,H
    >> I select the Copy drive image and Drive Image
    >> wants me to select a partition rather than copy the
    >> while 60 gig drive to the new drive. What am I
    >> doing wrong as I want to copy the whole hard drive
    >> and not just a single partition of the hard drive?
    >

    > I have never had to copy a hard drive that had
    > more than one partition, and I as far as I know,
    > Drive Image should be named Partition Image.
    > Are you saying that you are unable to designate
    > individual source partitions specifically? As for
    > the destination hard drive, Drive Image just adds
    > another partition to the ones which may already
    > be there.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*
    > the partitio

    Hi Timothy.
    Thanks for replying.
    What I'd like to do is to completely copy my old hard drive (including
    all the partitions to my new hard drive.
    May be to do this I need to copy each partition starting with drive C
    and I hope that Drive Image creates the partition on the new hard
    drive each time.
    I was hoping to tell drive image something like "Here is my old drive,
    copy everything including all the partitions to my new drive and
    re-create the partitions on my new drive".

    Regards Brian

    Did you ever hear about Ghost?

    "Brian" wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian" wrote:
    >>> My drive is divided into partitions of C,D,E,F,G,H
    >>> I select the Copy drive image and Drive Image
    >>> wants me to select a partition rather than copy the
    >>> while 60 gig drive to the new drive. What am I
    >>> doing wrong as I want to copy the whole hard drive
    >>> and not just a single partition of the hard drive?
    >>

    >> I have never had to copy a hard drive that had
    >> more than one partition, and I as far as I know,
    >> Drive Image should be named Partition Image.
    >> Are you saying that you are unable to designate
    >> individual source partitions specifically? As for
    >> the destination hard drive, Drive Image just adds
    >> another partition to the ones which may already
    >> be there.
    >
    > [...]
    > What I'd like to do is to completely copy my old hard
    > drive (including all the partitions to my new hard drive.
    > May be to do this I need to copy each partition starting
    > with drive C and I hope that Drive Image creates the
    > partition on the new hard drive each time.
    > I was hoping to tell drive image something like "Here is
    > my old drive, copy everything including all the partitions
    > to my new drive and re-create the partitions on my
    > new drive".

    If it's Drive Image you're using, I think it will have to be
    partition by partition. But it doesn't take any calculations
    or planning. Just do 'em sequentially, and they'll end up
    on the 2nd HD in the same order as on the 1st HD.
    Just remember to tell Drive Image to copy the MBR
    when it copys one of the partitions. If you haven't yet
    bought your cloning utility, you'll have to buy Ghost 9.0
    to get Drive Image's functionality. Ghost might have
    more automation to offer, but I don't know.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote:

    >>> I have never had to copy a hard drive that had
    >>> more than one partition, and I as far as I know,
    >>> Drive Image should be named Partition Image.
    >>> Are you saying that you are unable to designate
    >>> individual source partitions specifically? As for
    >>> the destination hard drive, Drive Image just adds
    >>> another partition to the ones which may already
    >>> be there.
    >>
    >> [...]
    >> What I'd like to do is to completely copy my old hard
    >> drive (including all the partitions to my new hard drive.
    >> May be to do this I need to copy each partition starting
    >> with drive C and I hope that Drive Image creates the
    >> partition on the new hard drive each time.
    >> I was hoping to tell drive image something like "Here is
    >> my old drive, copy everything including all the partitions
    >> to my new drive and re-create the partitions on my
    >> new drive".
    >

    > If it's Drive Image you're using, I think it will have to be
    > partition by partition. But it doesn't take any calculations
    > or planning. Just do 'em sequentially, and they'll end up
    > on the 2nd HD in the same order as on the 1st HD.
    > Just remember to tell Drive Image to copy the MBR
    > when it copys one of the partitions. If you haven't yet
    > bought your cloning utility, you'll have to buy Ghost 9.0
    > to get Drive Image's functionality. Ghost might have
    > more automation to offer, but I don't know.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Thanks Tim,
    One last question. Will Drive Image identify my new drive as I have
    not formatted or partitioned the new hard drive?
    I'm planning on removing my current second hard drive and removing m
    external hard drive, which will have the Primary drive and the new
    drive connected. Once I've transfered the contents of my Primary drive
    to my new drive then my new prive will become the primary drive and
    I'll reconnect the second internal drive and the external drive.
    I'm hoping this procedure will work.

    Regards Brian
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Brian" wrote:
    > [....] Will Drive Image identify my new drive as I have
    > not formatted or partitioned the new hard drive?

    It won't name it or make it unique in any way, if
    that's what you mean. Logically, it will look just
    like the old drive.

    > I'm planning on removing my current second hard drive
    > and removing m external hard drive, which will have the
    > Primary drive and the new drive connected. Once I've
    > transfered the contents of my Primary drive to my new
    > drive then my new prive will become the primary drive and
    > I'll reconnect the second internal drive and the external drive.
    > I'm hoping this procedure will work.

    It should work as the operating system will just see what
    it thinks is the old primary drive and the old secondary drive
    and the external drive. Just remember to boot up the new
    primary drive for the 1st time in isolation from the old
    primary drive. Thereafter, they can be allowed to boot up
    together with no problem. In such a case, the old drive will
    be named something else by the running OS, perhaps
    Local Disk G: or something similar, and it will look like
    just another file structure. The OS booted off the new drive
    will, of course, call itself Local Disk C: .

    *TimDaniels*

Backup Storage