two IDE PCI controller cards in one PC?

I have a use for (4) 133MB/s IDE channels in my Dell
(which runs WinXP Pro). I'm now using a single SIIG
PCI controller card, but SIIG says that they don't know
if my Dell Dimension BIOS or their drivers would be
able to differentiate between two identical PCI cards.

Has anyone here used two identical IDE PCI cards in
the same PC? How about two different brands of IDE
PCI cards in the same PC?

*TimDaniels*
5 answers Last reply
More about controller cards

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in

    > I have a use for (4) 133MB/s IDE channels in my Dell
    > (which runs WinXP Pro). I'm now using a single SIIG
    > PCI controller card, but SIIG says that they don't know
    > if my Dell Dimension BIOS or their drivers would be
    > able to differentiate between two identical PCI cards.
    >
    > Has anyone here used two identical IDE PCI cards in
    > the same PC? How about two different brands of IDE
    > PCI cards in the same PC?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I'm using 2 identical Promise ATA133 controllers simultaneously with 6 disk
    drives, and two CDR's and a Zip on the motherboard controllers. The drives
    come up as a unit (like a single BIOS) at boot, meaning the drive ports are
    listed as 1-8 instead of 1-4 and 1-4, if that's clear.

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

    "Peder" wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >> I have a use for (4) 133MB/s IDE channels in my Dell
    >> (which runs WinXP Pro). I'm now using a single SIIG
    >> PCI controller card, but SIIG says that they don't know
    >> if my Dell Dimension BIOS or their drivers would be
    >> able to differentiate between two identical PCI cards.
    >>
    >> Has anyone here used two identical IDE PCI cards in
    >> the same PC? How about two different brands of IDE
    >> PCI cards in the same PC?
    >
    > I'm using 2 identical Promise ATA133 controllers simultaneously
    > with 6 disk drives, and two CDR's and a Zip on the motherboard
    > controllers. The drives come up as a unit (like a single BIOS)
    > at boot, meaning the drive ports are listed as 1-8 instead of 1-4
    > and 1-4, if that's clear.

    Interesting! What operating system are you using?
    Did you have to install or supply a driver again when
    you installed the 2nd controller card?

    *TimDaniels*

    "Peder" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:Xns9587613A5F03Axxx@130.133.1.4
    > "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in news:mZadnaJRaZCiJuncRVn-2A@comcast.com:
    >
    > > I have a use for (4) 133MB/s IDE channels in my Dell
    > > (which runs WinXP Pro). I'm now using a single SIIG
    > > PCI controller card, but SIIG says that they don't know
    > > if my Dell Dimension BIOS or their drivers would be
    > > able to differentiate between two identical PCI cards.
    > >
    > > Has anyone here used two identical IDE PCI cards in
    > > the same PC? How about two different brands of IDE
    > > PCI cards in the same PC?
    > >
    > > *TimDaniels*
    > >

    > I'm using 2 identical Promise ATA133 controllers simultaneously with 6 disk
    > drives, and two CDR's and a Zip on the motherboard controllers. The drives
    > come up as a unit (like a single BIOS) at boot, meaning the drive ports are
    > listed as 1-8 instead of 1-4 and 1-4, if that's clear.

    So the Promise BIOS senses the second chip and adjusts accordingly.
    The second bios utility senses the the first one already running and exits.
    Nice. Something good may yet come from Promise.

    "Folkert Rienstra" wrote:
    > So the Promise BIOS senses the second chip and
    > adjusts accordingly. The second bios utility senses
    > the the first one already running and exits. Nice.
    > Something good may yet come from Promise.

    Yeah. I wonder if SIIG's BIOS does the same.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in news:soqdnbDqq-
    6L9ujcRVn-gg@comcast.com:

    > "Peder" wrote:
    >> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >>> I have a use for (4) 133MB/s IDE channels in my Dell
    >>> (which runs WinXP Pro). I'm now using a single SIIG
    >>> PCI controller card, but SIIG says that they don't know
    >>> if my Dell Dimension BIOS or their drivers would be
    >>> able to differentiate between two identical PCI cards.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone here used two identical IDE PCI cards in
    >>> the same PC? How about two different brands of IDE
    >>> PCI cards in the same PC?
    >>
    >> I'm using 2 identical Promise ATA133 controllers simultaneously
    >> with 6 disk drives, and two CDR's and a Zip on the motherboard
    >> controllers. The drives come up as a unit (like a single BIOS)
    >> at boot, meaning the drive ports are listed as 1-8 instead of 1-4
    >> and 1-4, if that's clear.
    >

    > Interesting! What operating system are you using?
    > Did you have to install or supply a driver again when
    > you installed the 2nd controller card?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    WinXP. Whoops, I thought they were ATA133, but Dev Mgr shows them as
    Promise Ultra100 TX2, sorry about that. When things just work, I tend to
    forget details and move on... I don't recall whether the driver was XP
    supplied originally, but Dev Mgr shows the current driver as being from
    Promise. I probably had to add the driver during XP setup when I last
    built the box, but it's been a year. I installed both boards at the same
    time.

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

Controller PCI Storage