Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

My HDD activity light is permanently on.....

Tags:
  • Light
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 19, 2004 11:02:26 PM

Can anyone help.

I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
alas none.

Please advise.

More about : hdd activity light permanently

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 8:18:40 PM

[This followup was posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

In article <41759d02$3_4@alt.athenanews.com>, deebee@thepanyard.co-dot-
uk.no-spam.invalid says...
> Can anyone help.
>
> I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
> 915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
> flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
> alas none.

Are there any other IDE devices on the computer. Double check all
cable and POWER connections. I had a stuck-on light happen when I had
accidentally unplugged the power on my CD-ROM drive while changing
HDD's. I realized it when I noticed it no longer showed up in Explorer!

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 9:08:54 PM

In article <41759d02$3_4@alt.athenanews.com>,
deebee@thepanyard.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid says...
> Can anyone help.
>
> I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
> 915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
> flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
> alas none.

Maybe you connected the HD LED backwards on the
motherboard?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 21, 2004 10:03:26 PM

Andrew,

Well spotted!! My previous board was a Gigabyte which allowed me to
connect 8 devices as IDE, the new board will only see 6 IDE - 2 SATA
each a with slave (SATA) and 2 IDE/ATAPI 1 master with slave. I had
plugged everything back in on the new board ( Didn't bother to
really look at the devices in Explorer,
won't make that mistake again!) but the BIOS only recognised the 2
SATA drives and the CDRW and DVD drives it ignored the ZIP drive, the
ZIP drive signal was still streaming onto the IDE bus hence the
light...................Now I can see the HDD activity.

Thanks to you and Toshi1873 for the replies.

:D  DeeBee