My HDD activity light is permanently on.....

Can anyone help.

I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
alas none.

Please advise.
3 answers Last reply
More about activity light permanently

    [This followup was posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage and a copy
    was sent to the cited author.]

    In article <41759d02$3_4@alt.athenanews.com>, deebee@thepanyard.co-dot-
    uk.no-spam.invalid says...
    > Can anyone help.
    >
    > I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
    > 915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
    > flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
    > alas none.

    Are there any other IDE devices on the computer. Double check all
    cable and POWER connections. I had a stuck-on light happen when I had
    accidentally unplugged the power on my CD-ROM drive while changing
    HDD's. I realized it when I noticed it no longer showed up in Explorer!

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    In article <41759d02$3_4@alt.athenanews.com>,
    deebee@thepanyard.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid says...
    > Can anyone help.
    >
    > I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
    > 915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
    > flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
    > alas none.

    Maybe you connected the HD LED backwards on the
    motherboard?

    Andrew,

    Well spotted!! My previous board was a Gigabyte which allowed me to
    connect 8 devices as IDE, the new board will only see 6 IDE - 2 SATA
    each a with slave (SATA) and 2 IDE/ATAPI 1 master with slave. I had
    plugged everything back in on the new board ( Didn't bother to
    really look at the devices in Explorer,
    won't make that mistake again!) but the BIOS only recognised the 2
    SATA drives and the CDRW and DVD drives it ignored the ZIP drive, the
    ZIP drive signal was still streaming onto the IDE bus hence the
    light...................Now I can see the HDD activity.

    Thanks to you and Toshi1873 for the replies.

    :D DeeBee

Light Hard Drives Storage