My HDD activity light is permanently on.....

Can anyone help.

I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
alas none.

Please advise.

[This followup was posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

In article <41759d02$3_4@alt.athenanews.com>, deebee@thepanyard.co-dot-
uk.no-spam.invalid says...
> Can anyone help.
>
> I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
> 915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
> flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
> alas none.

Are there any other IDE devices on the computer. Double check all
cable and POWER connections. I had a stuck-on light happen when I had
accidentally unplugged the power on my CD-ROM drive while changing
HDD's. I realized it when I noticed it no longer showed up in Explorer!

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

In article <41759d02$3_4@alt.athenanews.com>,
deebee@thepanyard.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid says...
> Can anyone help.
>
> I have installed from a clean installation a Maxtor 6Y080M0 on a MSI
> 915p combo MOBO, during the install of WIN XP the activity light was
> flashing now it's permanently 'on'. I've searched for an answer but
> alas none.

Maybe you connected the HD LED backwards on the
motherboard?

Andrew,

Well spotted!! My previous board was a Gigabyte which allowed me to
connect 8 devices as IDE, the new board will only see 6 IDE - 2 SATA
each a with slave (SATA) and 2 IDE/ATAPI 1 master with slave. I had
plugged everything back in on the new board ( Didn't bother to
really look at the devices in Explorer,
won't make that mistake again!) but the BIOS only recognised the 2
SATA drives and the CDRW and DVD drives it ignored the ZIP drive, the
ZIP drive signal was still streaming onto the IDE bus hence the
light...................Now I can see the HDD activity.

Thanks to you and Toshi1873 for the replies.

:D DeeBee