need to upgrade PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 - please help

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

My system is running Win98SE.

I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.

I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
PowerQuest's software.

Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
has not been processed by Symantec?
21 answers Last reply
More about need upgrade powerquest partitionmagic help
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    Adam wrote:
    > My system is running Win98SE.
    >
    > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    >
    > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > PowerQuest's software.
    Could you please elaborate on this disappointment? What exactly do ppl. say
    (is it just because it is Symantec (the "little Microsoft"))?
    Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 is in fact PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 using a
    different name an colors and got rid of Datakeeper.

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    When my new (>80 GB) HDD was not being fully recognized,
    I did a search on google for "PartitionMagic".
    That's how I found the complaints.

    "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Adam wrote:
    > > My system is running Win98SE.
    > >
    > > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    > >
    > > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > > PowerQuest's software.
    > Could you please elaborate on this disappointment? What exactly do ppl. say
    > (is it just because it is Symantec (the "little Microsoft"))?
    > Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 is in fact PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 using a
    > different name an colors and got rid of Datakeeper.
    > >

    > > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > > has not been processed by Symantec?
    >

    > --
    > M.f.G.
    > Michael Kimmer
    >
    > "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    > "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    That Google search yields lots a its.

    How about a link or two.

    "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

    > When my new (>80 GB) HDD was not being fully recognized,
    > I did a search on google for "PartitionMagic".
    > That's how I found the complaints.
    >

    > "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > > Adam wrote:
    > > > My system is running Win98SE.
    > > >
    > > > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    > > >
    > > > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > > > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > > > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > > > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > > > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > > > PowerQuest's software.
    > > Could you please elaborate on this disappointment? What exactly do ppl.
    say
    > > (is it just because it is Symantec (the "little Microsoft"))?
    > > Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 is in fact PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 using
    > > different name an colors and got rid of Datakeeper.
    > > >

    > > > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > > > has not been processed by Symantec?
    > >

    > > --
    > > M.f.G.
    > > Michael Kimmer
    > >
    > > "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    > > "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    I searched google for: "Symantec -forsale insubject:PartitionMagic"

    One of the threads has the following subject:
    Subject: Re: Does Symantec's newly acquired PartitionMagic have software activation?

    "SFB - KB3MM" <Mickey@MouseHouse.com> wrote in message news:eIkWtcxtEHA.908@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > That Google search yields lots a its.
    >
    > How about a link or two.
    >
    > "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > When my new (>80 GB) HDD was not being fully recognized,
    > > I did a search on google for "PartitionMagic".
    > > That's how I found the complaints.
    > >

    > > "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message

    > > > Could you please elaborate on this disappointment? What exactly do ppl.
    > say
    > > > (is it just because it is Symantec (the "little Microsoft"))?
    > > > Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 is in fact PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 using
    > > > different name an colors and got rid of Datakeeper.

    > > > --
    > > > M.f.G.
    > > > Michael Kimmer
    > > >
    > > > "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    > > > "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    There's an article by Edward Mendelson (dated 6/8/2004) in
    www.pcmag.com that says DataKeeper is included in
    PartitionMagic 8.0.1 from Symantec.

    "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Adam wrote:
    > > My system is running Win98SE.
    > >
    > > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    > >
    > > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > > PowerQuest's software.
    > Could you please elaborate on this disappointment? What exactly do ppl. say
    > (is it just because it is Symantec (the "little Microsoft"))?
    > Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 is in fact PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 using a
    > different name an colors and got rid of Datakeeper.
    > >

    > > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > > has not been processed by Symantec?
    >

    > --
    > M.f.G.
    > Michael Kimmer
    >
    > "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    > "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    No need.
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

    > My system is running Win98SE.
    >
    > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    >
    > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > PowerQuest's software.
    >
    > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > has not been processed by Symantec?

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message news:OA%23dmSBuEHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
    > No need.
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

    Nonsense, that is for free. Money shall be spend.

    > "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:iZjdd.32654$QJ3.26177@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    > >
    > > My system is running Win98SE.
    > >
    > > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    > >
    > > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > > PowerQuest's software.
    > >
    > > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > > has not been processed by Symantec?
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    Please read my email return address and do so.
    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    > > No need.
    > > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
    >
    > Nonsense, that is for free. Money shall be spend.
    >
    > > "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > My system is running Win98SE.
    > > >
    > > > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    > > >
    > > > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > > > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > > > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > > > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > > > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > > > PowerQuest's software.
    > > >
    > > > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > > > has not been processed by Symantec?
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

    > My system is running Win98SE.
    >
    > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    >
    > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > PowerQuest's software.
    >
    > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > has not been processed by Symantec?

    you don't need PM8 to partition an 80 gig drive
    the new drive should come with partitioning software...
    or else...all you need is the updated version of fdisk
    you can either get the new fdisk from microsoft
    or else just use a winME bootdisk which you can get from
    www.bootdisk.com
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    I'm looking for partitioning software that is capable of
    backing up (or copying) existing FAT32 bootable partitions.
    Are the partitioning software you mention capable of this?

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message news:eu#DE4guEHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

    > "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My system is running Win98SE.
    > >
    > > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    > >
    > > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > > PowerQuest's software.
    > >
    > > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > > has not been processed by Symantec?
    > >

    > you don't need PM8 to partition an 80 gig drive
    > the new drive should come with partitioning software...
    > or else...all you need is the updated version of fdisk
    > you can either get the new fdisk from microsoft
    > or else just use a winME bootdisk which you can get from
    > www.bootdisk.com

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    "Adam" wrote:

    > I'm looking for partitioning software that is capable of
    > backing up (or copying) existing FAT32 bootable partitions.
    > Are the partitioning software you mention capable of this?

    You're looling for what is frequently called a "disk cloning"
    or "imaging" utility. PowerQuest's Drive Image 7.x (now
    Norton's Ghost 9.0), Acronis' True Image, and several others
    do this, not partitioning utilities. Xxcopy does this, too, but
    I've not heard much about it except that it's free (see their
    website at http:\\www.xxCopy.com ). If you want the cloned
    partition to be bootable (assuming it contains an operating
    system), tell the utility to copy the Master Boot Record
    ("MBR") as well. On the 1st boot-up of the clone, don't let
    the original OS be visible to the clone or the clone will hook
    into files on the original drive and the clone thereafter won't
    run without the original OS present. To do this, just disconnect
    the original drive and put the clone in its place for that 1st
    boot-up. Thereafter, the clone can be booted even with the
    original visible to it.

    If you have WinXP (or Win2K) (and if the clone drive has
    the space), you can put at least 4 copies of the original OS
    on the clone drive, and each can be bootable from its separate
    *primary* partition. (It may be the case that WinXP/2K can be
    booted from a logical drive, but I've never put a clone into a
    logical drive.) You can then use WinXP/2K's) multi- boot
    feature to select the clone for booting at boot time. You would
    have to adjust the original drive's boot.ini file (at C:\boot.ini) to
    add a line pointing to the clone to include it in the original drive's
    boot menu to do that, but that is trivial if you know the boot.ini
    syntax. Since your clone(s) might also act as emergency
    copies of the original in the event the original drive crashes,
    you ought to adjust the boot.ini file in the "active" partition on
    your clone drive as well. You can make any partition on a drive
    the "active" partition by using Disk Management (rt-click on
    My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management), and that
    indicates that the boot.ini file in that partition will be used for the
    boot menu of OSes to select from. When pointing to partitions
    with boot.ini, remember that the 1st partition on the drive is
    known as "partition(1)", the 2nd partition as "partition(2)", etc.
    You can use the part of the boot.ini file that is in quotes to
    call each OS whatever you want.

    If the original drive crashes, just pop the archive drive in its
    place and boot the OS version that you want. Otherwise, you
    can keep the archive drive connected where it is, and you can
    boot into it by adjusting the boot sequence in the BIOS.

    If you have WinXP and the archive drive is selected by the
    BIOS' boot sequence, the boot.ini file in the drive's "active"
    partition will let you select which partition (i.e. which OS version)
    to boot into. Keep in mind that the boot.ini file in the "active"
    partition will always think it's in the booted partition (called
    "Logical Disk (C:)" by Windows), so set the rdisk() lines in
    boot.ini file to point appropriately to "this" hard drive (i.e rdisk(0) )
    or to "the next" hard drive (i.e. rdisk(1) ) or "the one after that"
    (i.e. rdisk(2) ). This sequence of hard drives, by the way, is
    determined by the boot sequence in the BIOS, and by adjusting
    that sequence, you adjust what is meant by "this drive",
    "the next drive", and "the one after that".

    *TimDaniels*
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "Adam" wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm looking for partitioning software that is capable of
    >> backing up (or copying) existing FAT32 bootable partitions.
    >> Are the partitioning software you mention capable of this?
    >

    > You're looling for what is frequently called a "disk cloning"
    > or "imaging" utility. PowerQuest's Drive Image 7.x (now Norton's Ghost
    > 9.0), Acronis' True Image, and several others
    > do this, not partitioning utilities. Xxcopy does this, too, but
    > I've not heard much about it except that it's free (see their
    > website at http:\\www.xxCopy.com ). If you want the cloned
    > partition to be bootable (assuming it contains an operating
    > system), tell the utility to copy the Master Boot Record
    > ("MBR") as well. On the 1st boot-up of the clone, don't let
    > the original OS be visible to the clone or the clone will hook
    > into files on the original drive and the clone thereafter won't
    > run without the original OS present. To do this, just disconnect
    > the original drive and put the clone in its place for that 1st
    > boot-up. Thereafter, the clone can be booted even with the
    > original visible to it.

    <snip>

    i've used xxcopy with the /clone switch and it worked fine
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    Thanks for your input but ...

    I bought a copy of PowerQuest's Drive Image at
    the same time that I bought PowerQuest's PartitionMagic 7.0.
    But, ended up liking PM7 much more than Drive Image.

    I tried 'xxCopy' but didn't like it.

    And, I don't use WinXP.

> [...]
    > can keep the archive drive connected where it is, and you can
    > boot into it by adjusting the boot sequence in the BIOS.
    >
    > If you have WinXP and the archive drive is selected by the
    > BIOS' boot sequence, the boot.ini file in the drive's "active"
    > partition will let you select which partition (i.e. which OS version)
    > to boot into. Keep in mind that the boot.ini file in the "active"
    > partition will always think it's in the booted partition (called
    > "Logical Disk (C:)" by Windows), so set the rdisk() lines in
    > boot.ini file to point appropriately to "this" hard drive (i.e rdisk(0) )
    > or to "the next" hard drive (i.e. rdisk(1) ) or "the one after that"
    > (i.e. rdisk(2) ). This sequence of hard drives, by the way, is
    > determined by the boot sequence in the BIOS, and by adjusting
    > that sequence, you adjust what is meant by "this drive",
    > "the next drive", and "the one after that".

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    "Adam" wrote:

    > Thanks for your input but ...
    >
    > I bought a copy of PowerQuest's Drive Image at
    > the same time that I bought PowerQuest's PartitionMagic 7.0.
    > But, ended up liking PM7 much more than Drive Image.

    Yeah, but does PM7 make a bootable OS for you?
    Probably has something to do with not copying the
    MBR.

    > I tried 'xxCopy' but didn't like it.
    >
    > And, I don't use WinXP.

    In that case a copy of Drive Image 2002 should work fine.
    You can purchase it online for $13 or $14. Check it out
    using Froogle.Google.com or NextTag.com (see
    http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=drive+image+2002&node=0 ).
    All that I wrote except the part about multi-booting (and
    perhaps not the part about keeping the clone isolated
    during its 1st boot-up) applies to Win98.

    *TimDaniels*
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    Yes, PM7 can make a bootable OS for users.
    I've done it many times.

    PM7 provides ways for the user to
    set partition attributes. Key attributes are:
    - Primary / Logical
    - Active / Hidden / None

    And, if a partition (with an OS installed) has the correct attributes
    (like Primary and Active) and is located in the proper location (like
    below the 8 GB address space) on the HDD, then that partition should be
    bootable.

    Like I said, I already own a copy of Drive Image but
    seldom used it since PM7 was sufficient.

    > "Adam" wrote:
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input but ...
    > >
    > > I bought a copy of PowerQuest's Drive Image at
    > > the same time that I bought PowerQuest's PartitionMagic 7.0.
    > > But, ended up liking PM7 much more than Drive Image.
    >

    > Yeah, but does PM7 make a bootable OS for you?
    > Probably has something to do with not copying the
    > MBR.
    >

    > > I tried 'xxCopy' but didn't like it.
    > >
    > > And, I don't use WinXP.
    >

    > In that case a copy of Drive Image 2002 should work fine.
    > You can purchase it online for $13 or $14. Check it out
    > using Froogle.Google.com or NextTag.com (see
    > http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=drive+image+2002&node=0 ).
    > All that I wrote except the part about multi-booting (and
    > perhaps not the part about keeping the clone isolated
    > during its 1st boot-up) applies to Win98.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    Every disk must have a MBR. It is created when the partition(s) is created.

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "Adam" wrote:
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input but ...
    > >
    > > I bought a copy of PowerQuest's Drive Image at
    > > the same time that I bought PowerQuest's PartitionMagic 7.0.
    > > But, ended up liking PM7 much more than Drive Image.
    >

    > Yeah, but does PM7 make a bootable OS for you?
    > Probably has something to do with not copying the
    > MBR.
    >

    > > I tried 'xxCopy' but didn't like it.
    > >
    > > And, I don't use WinXP.
    >

    > In that case a copy of Drive Image 2002 should work fine.
    > You can purchase it online for $13 or $14. Check it out
    > using Froogle.Google.com or NextTag.com (see

    http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=drive+image+2002&node=0 )
    ..
    > All that I wrote except the part about multi-booting (and
    > perhaps not the part about keeping the clone isolated
    > during its 1st boot-up) applies to Win98.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage SFB - KB3MM <Mickey@mousehouse.com> wrote:
    > Every disk must have a MBR. It is created when the partition(s) is created.

    Actually every disk must have a top-level partition table. There is
    no need for boot code to be in there and it is an MBR only with boot
    code.

    Arno

    > "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    >> "Adam" wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your input but ...
    >> >
    >> > I bought a copy of PowerQuest's Drive Image at
    >> > the same time that I bought PowerQuest's PartitionMagic 7.0.
    >> > But, ended up liking PM7 much more than Drive Image.
    >>

    >> Yeah, but does PM7 make a bootable OS for you?
    >> Probably has something to do with not copying the
    >> MBR.
    >>

    >> > I tried 'xxCopy' but didn't like it.
    >> >
    >> > And, I don't use WinXP.
    >>

    >> In that case a copy of Drive Image 2002 should work fine.
    >> You can purchase it online for $13 or $14. Check it out
    >> using Froogle.Google.com or NextTag.com (see
    >>
    > http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=drive+image+2002&node=0 )
    > .
    >> All that I wrote except the part about multi-booting (and
    >> perhaps not the part about keeping the clone isolated
    >> during its 1st boot-up) applies to Win98.
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:2u402rF25e6akU1@uni-berlin.de
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage SFB - KB3MM <Mickey@mousehouse.com> wrote:
    > > Every disk must have a MBR. It is created when the partition(s) is created.
    >
    > Actually every disk must have a top-level partition table.

    'Actually' it does not 'must have' a top-level partition table.
    There is also the Large Floppy type format.

    > There is no need for boot code to be in there and

    > it is an MBR only with boot code.

    Says who?

    > Arno

    > > > Yeah, but does PM7 make a bootable OS for you?
    > > > Probably has something to do with not copying the
    > > > MBR.

    > > > In that case a copy of Drive Image 2002 should work fine.
    > > > You can purchase it online for $13 or $14. Check it out
    > > > using Froogle.Google.com or NextTag.com (see
    > > >
    > > http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=drive+image+2002&node=0 )
    > > .
    > > > All that I wrote except the part about multi-booting (and
    > > > perhaps not the part about keeping the clone isolated
    > > > during its 1st boot-up) applies to Win98.
    > > >
    > > > *TimDaniels*
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

    Update ... my solution ...

    I purchased a copy of PartitionMagic 8.0 with
    a copyright year of 2002. It's great!

    "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

    > My system is running Win98SE.
    >
    > I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    >
    > I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > PowerQuest's software.
    >
    > Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > has not been processed by Symantec?

  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In article <aXnid.38479$QJ3.36923@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

    >Update ... my solution ...
    >
    >I purchased a copy of PartitionMagic 8.0 with
    >a copyright year of 2002. It's great!

    Is that the same one giving you the "Error 626"? :-)

    >"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    >> My system is running Win98SE.
    >> I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    >>
    >> I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    >> which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    >> either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    >> Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    >> very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    >> PowerQuest's software.
    >>
    >> Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    >> has not been processed by Symantec?

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Yep, it's the same PartitionMagic 8 ...

    The problem was that the two HDDs were placed on
    two different channels, "Primary IDE" (source) and
    "Primary ATA100" (destination). [My motherboard has
    four channels, "Primary IDE", "Secondary IDE",
    "Primary ATA100" and "Secondary ATA100".]

    For some reason, PartitionMagic 8 is not able to
    operate on HDDs on the "Primary ATA100" channel while
    in DOS/Batch mode.

    This problem was resolved by placing both HDDs on
    the same "Primary IDE" channel.

    PartitionMagic 8 (with a copyright year of 2002) rocks!

    "Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2uurtnF2eqq94U2@uni-berlin.de...
    > In article <aXnid.38479$QJ3.36923@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >Update ... my solution ...
    > >
    > >I purchased a copy of PartitionMagic 8.0 with
    > >a copyright year of 2002. It's great!
    >
    > Is that the same one giving you the "Error 626"? :-)
    >
    > >"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    > >> My system is running Win98SE.
    > >> I have PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 installed.
    > >>
    > >> I just bought a >80 GB HDD (Seagate ST3200822A),
    > >> which exceeds PM7's capabilities. So, I need to
    > >> either upgrade to or buy PM8. But, due to
    > >> Symantec and PowerQuest's deal, I hear people are
    > >> very disappointed with Symantec's handling of
    > >> PowerQuest's software.
    > >>
    > >> Is it still possible to get a version of PM8 that
    > >> has not been processed by Symantec?
    >
    > Cheers, Phred.
    >
    > --
    > ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID