DVD movie playback very grainy ...?

Boy, this is weird. I am just starting to explore burning my mini-dv video onto DVD with my new HP burner. My trial run with a short 14 minute video came out real well - very good quality.

So then, I assembled my entire movie ,,, about an hour's worth of footage and burned it to DVD (I'm using ArcSoft Movie Wizard 2.0); the resulting video is quite grainy ... and even choppy at some points. The software tells me I'm within the time limits of what will fit on the DVD.

Any suggestions?

Windows XP Home
60 gig hd
very fast processor; 1 gig memory
my 1 hour video is about 12-13 gigs of data ... (not sure what compression is used)
finally, I've been using DVD-R discs.

Thanks for any help.
--
Michael
3 answers Last reply

    Burning a good dvd is not as easy as just telling an app to do it. They do a
    reasonable job, but that's it. If you want to get good quality you need to
    invest in a good app and codec for producing the dvd mpeg2 file, where you
    can set the bitrate, use variable bitrates, the number of passes the encoder
    makes, two is std on good encoders, but if you pay lots you can get 7 or
    more passes.
    Have a look at tmpg, which is pretty good as an encoder.
    Ulead do a good all in one app, movie factory or dvd workshop.
    dvdlabs etc etc.

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP

    "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Boy, this is weird. I am just starting to explore burning my mini-dv video
    onto DVD with my new HP burner. My trial run with a short 14 minute video
    came out real well - very good quality.

    > So then, I assembled my entire movie ,,, about an hour's worth of footage
    and burned it to DVD (I'm using ArcSoft Movie Wizard 2.0); the resulting
    video is quite grainy ... and even choppy at some points. The software tells
    me I'm within the time limits of what will fit on the DVD.

    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Windows XP Home
    > 60 gig hd
    > very fast processor; 1 gig memory
    > my 1 hour video is about 12-13 gigs of data ... (not sure what compression
    is used)
    > finally, I've been using DVD-R discs.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > --
    > Michael

    Oh wow ... that's informative to learn ... well, I'm just using the program that came packaged with my HP DVD drive I just installed ... oh, maybe it's a low end deal ... you recommend something called "TMPG"? I will investigate. Your reply was very helpful.
    --
    Michael

    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

    > Burning a good dvd is not as easy as just telling an app to do it. They do a
    > reasonable job, but that's it. If you want to get good quality you need to
    > invest in a good app and codec for producing the dvd mpeg2 file, where you
    > can set the bitrate, use variable bitrates, the number of passes the encoder
    > makes, two is std on good encoders, but if you pay lots you can get 7 or
    > more passes.
    > Have a look at tmpg, which is pretty good as an encoder.
    > Ulead do a good all in one app, movie factory or dvd workshop.
    > dvdlabs etc etc.
    >
    > Graham
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    >
    > "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Boy, this is weird. I am just starting to explore burning my mini-dv video
    > onto DVD with my new HP burner. My trial run with a short 14 minute video
    > came out real well - very good quality.
    > >
    > > So then, I assembled my entire movie ,,, about an hour's worth of footage
    > and burned it to DVD (I'm using ArcSoft Movie Wizard 2.0); the resulting
    > video is quite grainy ... and even choppy at some points. The software tells
    > me I'm within the time limits of what will fit on the DVD.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Windows XP Home
    > > 60 gig hd
    > > very fast processor; 1 gig memory
    > > my 1 hour video is about 12-13 gigs of data ... (not sure what compression
    > is used)
    > > finally, I've been using DVD-R discs.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > > --
    > > Michael

    Michael,
    You may find this helpful, it also includes a link to tmpg, and a list of
    the best settings to use. TMPGenc is good, but at best settings, slow, so if
    it's a decent size movie, set it to go overnight!!!
    Graham

    --
    > Oh wow ... that's informative to learn ... well, I'm just using the
    program that came packaged with my HP DVD drive I just installed ... oh,
    maybe it's a low end deal ... you recommend something called "TMPG"? I will
    investigate. Your reply was very helpful.
    > --
    > Michael
    >

    > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    >
    > > Burning a good dvd is not as easy as just telling an app to do it. They
    do a
    > > reasonable job, but that's it. If you want to get good quality you need
    > > invest in a good app and codec for producing the dvd mpeg2 file, where
    you
    > > can set the bitrate, use variable bitrates, the number of passes the
    encoder
    > > makes, two is std on good encoders, but if you pay lots you can get 7 or
    > > more passes.
    > > Have a look at tmpg, which is pretty good as an encoder.
    > > Ulead do a good all in one app, movie factory or dvd workshop.
    > > dvdlabs etc etc.
    > >
    > > Graham
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP
    > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > >
    > > "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Boy, this is weird. I am just starting to explore burning my mini-dv
    video
    > > onto DVD with my new HP burner. My trial run with a short 14 minute
    video
    > > came out real well - very good quality.
    > > >
    > > > So then, I assembled my entire movie ,,, about an hour's worth of
    footage
    > > and burned it to DVD (I'm using ArcSoft Movie Wizard 2.0); the resulting
    > > video is quite grainy ... and even choppy at some points. The software
    tells
    > > me I'm within the time limits of what will fit on the DVD.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Windows XP Home
    > > > 60 gig hd
    > > > very fast processor; 1 gig memory
    > > > my 1 hour video is about 12-13 gigs of data ... (not sure what
    compression
    > > is used)
    > > > finally, I've been using DVD-R discs.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help.