Cingular Media works pack and connections

Last response: in Network Providers
May 31, 2004 11:33:19 AM

Are any outbound ports blocked? Do I get a real IP or a NAT? Are
incoming ports blocked? Thanks to anyone who's looked and can share.
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 6:56:38 PM

I've been using the media works package for many days now. It is a NAT
connection. Cingular issues a Class A RFC-1918 address. From what I can
tell all GPRS data(at least in my area) uses the public address of
66.102.167.246. This is the address i used to poke holes in my home
firewall. As for as ports being blocked? For the most part its wide
open. I haven't had any problem using http,ftp,ssh, ssl, pop3, smtp and
a few non standard ports such as 8100. Here is a extra bonus, here in
the D/FW area Cingular has their EDGE networking up and running. I'm
seeing speeds between 80 and 90kbps using the Nokia 6230b. The strange
thing is, according to Cingular's map EDGE its not yet available here
(see http://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/wi_availability). Any other
questions?

Here is the ip information Cingular assigned my laptop when I connected
this morning:

PPP adapter Cingular GPRS:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
66.209.10.202
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Mark E. Daniel wrote:
> Are any outbound ports blocked? Do I get a real IP or a NAT? Are
> incoming ports blocked? Thanks to anyone who's looked and can share.
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 11:27:49 PM

Thanks for the info. The only *bad* part for me changing from T-Mobile
to Cingular is the $200 etf. Will have to use E-Bay to get it back.:)
June 1, 2004 2:12:15 AM

Try this, call T-Mobile and tell them you are moving to an area without
coverage. Sometimes they will overlook termination fee out of kindness.
Moreover, I think the FCC requires all customers to have a place of
residence in a coverage area. I hope this helps. Unlike with Cingular
there are a TONS of small towns without t-mobile coverage. I just moved
from T-Mobile to Cingular, but I was on month 2 month. I will say the
move to Cingular was quite cumbersome it took all of 25 mins to port my
number over. But here is a bit of warning, as soon as you port the
number T-mobile cancels the account, no and's if's or but's. The moral
of the story is to talk to them before trying to move or else you will
get hit with the fee for sure.

If you need a town without T-Mobile Coverage try Palestine, Texas

Mark E. Daniel wrote:
> Thanks for the info. The only *bad* part for me changing from T-Mobile
> to Cingular is the $200 etf. Will have to use E-Bay to get it back.:)

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 1:09:56 PM

Thanks. Will give that a whirl.:)
June 3, 2004 3:06:47 AM

Does anyone know the smtp server for the media works package. I am using
photo.mycingular.com and it works but "signs" the message with some blub
about "this photo message... blah,blah..." and I can do without that.

Eric
"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. Will give that a whirl.:)

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:41:07 PM

use the message server http://mmsc.cingular.com

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:06:47 GMT, "Eric" <ekegley@nospam.rr.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know the smtp server for the media works package. I am using
>photo.mycingular.com and it works but "signs" the message with some blub
>about "this photo message... blah,blah..." and I can do without that.
>
>Eric
>"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks. Will give that a whirl.:)

June 6, 2004 8:06:23 AM

"Randy McLean" <usenetjunk@wo5m.net> wrote in message
> I've been using the media works package for many days now. It is a NAT
> connection. Cingular issues a Class A RFC-1918 address. From what I can
> tell all GPRS data(at least in my area) uses the public address of
> 66.102.167.246. This is the address i used to poke holes in my home
> firewall. As for as ports being blocked? For the most part its wide
> open. I haven't had any problem using http,ftp,ssh, ssl, pop3, smtp and
> a few non standard ports such as 8100. Here is a extra bonus, here in
> the D/FW area Cingular has their EDGE networking up and running. I'm
> seeing speeds between 80 and 90kbps using the Nokia 6230b. The strange
> Snipped

I have been using my phone (V400) to access the internet and Windows XP
tells me I am doing so at 125 kbps. Is Windows rounding up, or is this speed
possible with GPRS? I have had this speed in different locations (Austin,
Texas and Indiana)

David.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 11:55:48 AM

"David" <no.spam@thisaddress.com> wrote in message

| "Randy McLean" <usenetjunk@wo5m.net> wrote in message
| > I've been using the media works package for many days now. It is a NAT
| > connection. Cingular issues a Class A RFC-1918 address. From what I can
| > tell all GPRS data(at least in my area) uses the public address of
| > 66.102.167.246. This is the address i used to poke holes in my home
| > firewall. As for as ports being blocked? For the most part its wide
| > open. I haven't had any problem using http,ftp,ssh, ssl, pop3, smtp and
| > a few non standard ports such as 8100. Here is a extra bonus, here in
| > the D/FW area Cingular has their EDGE networking up and running. I'm
| > seeing speeds between 80 and 90kbps using the Nokia 6230b. The strange
| > Snipped
|
| I have been using my phone (V400) to access the internet and Windows XP
| tells me I am doing so at 125 kbps. Is Windows rounding up, or is this
speed
| possible with GPRS? I have had this speed in different locations (Austin,
| Texas and Indiana)
|
| David.

That is the port speed, not your connection speed.
June 6, 2004 4:21:39 PM

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> "David" <no.spam@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
> |
> | I have been using my phone (V400) to access the internet and Windows XP
> | tells me I am doing so at 125 kbps. Is Windows rounding up, or is this
> speed
> | possible with GPRS? I have had this speed in different locations
(Austin,
> | Texas and Indiana)
> |
> | David.
> |

> That is the port speed, not your connection speed.

That makes sense. So how do I tell what my actual connection speed is?
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 4:21:40 PM

Saturday afternoon I spoke with two reps at Cingular and both told me the
Media Works package would work while tethered to a PC.
I'll be signing up as soon as I get the Data Connect CD.
-Bud

---
-RVRUS
June 6, 2004 11:12:32 PM

| That makes sense. So how do I tell what my actual connection speed is?

Best way is to run a web based speed test. htpp://www.dslreports.com/tools
has some. You can use the regular speed tests or mobile phone speed tests.
The regular speed tests are actually designed for broadband, but can be used
for slower connections. They start with a small file, and if your speed is
fast enough use bigger files. This is done so that it doesn't take forever
on slower connections. There are also lots of other speed tests on the net.
That is just one I use often.
!