Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Partition Magic - Error 626 (Operation is to be performed...

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 22, 2004 2:35:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

As I'm here, may as well ask...

I'm trying to copy the only partition (1.2gb C:)  on a Dell Optiplex to
a Western Digital external USB hdd using Partition Magic V8. The
Windows phase goes swimmingly - I stage the copy to external hdd
followed by a hide of the copied partition. When I click "Apply", the
system drops to DOS and I get "Error 626. Operation is to be performed
on a hard drive not visible from boot mode.".

Any ideas, anyone?

TIA.

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 22, 2004 3:43:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Nick,

Have you set up PM8 to load its USB drivers when it boots into DOS mode to
do the copy? There's a check box on one of the screens that comes up in the
process of running PM. It's similar to what you must do when creating
floppies to run PM.

If you have loaded the USB drivers, there might be an issue with driver
compatibility. I've used PM8 with an external IEEE1394 (Firewire) drive. The
1394 drivers supplied by PM don't seem to like the native 1394 ports on my
mainboard (Asus A8V, Athlon64 system with a Via K8T800Pro chipset). I have
been able to use the 1394 port on my Audigy 2 soundcard, though.

I know that isn't really relevant to your USB problem. Further, Dell
traditionally uses Intel hardware, so I'd hope that compatibility problems
would be unlikely.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ms9gn0hpfbh6mvfnvi6ss74sttvpfjrgpk@4ax.com...
> As I'm here, may as well ask...
>
> I'm trying to copy the only partition (1.2gb C:)  on a Dell Optiplex to
> a Western Digital external USB hdd using Partition Magic V8. The
> Windows phase goes swimmingly - I stage the copy to external hdd
> followed by a hide of the copied partition. When I click "Apply", the
> system drops to DOS and I get "Error 626. Operation is to be performed
> on a hard drive not visible from boot mode.".
>
> Any ideas, anyone?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> Nick Michell
> Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 22, 2004 2:14:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello Bob,

Ahh! I assumed the message was referring to the internal hdd; from
what you say, it's talking about the external hdd.

I can't find the check box you mention - when you say "running PM" do
you mean "installing PM"?

I looked at the PM8 Help for USB refs, and found the following: -

"PartitionMagic supports external USB, USB2, and FireWire hard drives
under Windows. Operations that are executed in boot mode are not
supported on these devices. You can see if an operation will be
performed in boot mode by clicking View > Operations Pending. If an
operation displays with the boot mode icon, it will not work on a USB,
USB2, or FireWire drive. <snip>."

The pending operation does have the boot mode icon (as the operation
is being performed on the current live partition). The puzzle now is
that I've successfully done this (copied partitions from internal hdd
to external hdd via USB) on another PC in boot mode.

For the record: -
PC1: Dell XPS Dimension, Win2k, PM8 - Boot Mode copy okay.
PC2; Dell Optiplex, Win 98, PM8 - Boot Mode copy fails.

Is it, perhaps, a Win98/Win2k issue?

Perhaps I'll have to contact PowerQuest TechSupp, as the message
suggests, but I *really* don't want to go down that route ["Have you
tried re-installing Windows/PM"; "Sounds like a hardware problem -
contact WestDig"; "What did you have for breakfast?" <g>]

Nick Michell.


On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:43:25 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Nick,
>
>Have you set up PM8 to load its USB drivers when it boots into DOS mode to
>do the copy? There's a check box on one of the screens that comes up in the
>process of running PM. It's similar to what you must do when creating
>floppies to run PM.
>
>If you have loaded the USB drivers, there might be an issue with driver
>compatibility. I've used PM8 with an external IEEE1394 (Firewire) drive. The
>1394 drivers supplied by PM don't seem to like the native 1394 ports on my
>mainboard (Asus A8V, Athlon64 system with a Via K8T800Pro chipset). I have
>been able to use the 1394 port on my Audigy 2 soundcard, though.
>
>I know that isn't really relevant to your USB problem. Further, Dell
>traditionally uses Intel hardware, so I'd hope that compatibility problems
>would be unlikely.
>
>HTH.
>
>Bob Knowlden
>
>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 22, 2004 11:38:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Embarrassing admission time:

I was thinking of Norton Ghost rather than PM 8.0. (I use both.) Ghost
supports external USB and 1394 devices from its DOS boot mode. (I don't
think that Symantec has purchased PowerQuest figured in my confusion.) I
guess that PM does not support USB from a DOS boot.

Sorry about that. I'd recommend Ghost for copying a partition, although it's
not free. (Ghost was a good product before Symantec acquired it, and it
doesn't seem to have suffered too badly under their ownership.) It can be
had quite cheaply in the gray market (OEM versions sold as retail).

As we age, memory is the second thing to go. (I forget the first.)

Regards,

Bob Kn.

"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:06ihn0t96uslqkv36dkgrr80p4k8d782qj@4ax.com...
> Hello Bob,
>
> Ahh! I assumed the message was referring to the internal hdd; from
> what you say, it's talking about the external hdd.
>
> I can't find the check box you mention - when you say "running PM" do
> you mean "installing PM"?
>
> I looked at the PM8 Help for USB refs, and found the following: -
>
> "PartitionMagic supports external USB, USB2, and FireWire hard drives
> under Windows. Operations that are executed in boot mode are not
> supported on these devices. You can see if an operation will be
> performed in boot mode by clicking View > Operations Pending. If an
> operation displays with the boot mode icon, it will not work on a USB,
> USB2, or FireWire drive. <snip>."
>
> The pending operation does have the boot mode icon (as the operation
> is being performed on the current live partition). The puzzle now is
> that I've successfully done this (copied partitions from internal hdd
> to external hdd via USB) on another PC in boot mode.
>
> For the record: -
> PC1: Dell XPS Dimension, Win2k, PM8 - Boot Mode copy okay.
> PC2; Dell Optiplex, Win 98, PM8 - Boot Mode copy fails.
>
> Is it, perhaps, a Win98/Win2k issue?
>
> Perhaps I'll have to contact PowerQuest TechSupp, as the message
> suggests, but I *really* don't want to go down that route ["Have you
> tried re-installing Windows/PM"; "Sounds like a hardware problem -
> contact WestDig"; "What did you have for breakfast?" <g>]
>
> Nick Michell.
>
>
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:43:25 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Nick,
>>
>>Have you set up PM8 to load its USB drivers when it boots into DOS mode to
>>do the copy? There's a check box on one of the screens that comes up in
>>the
>>process of running PM. It's similar to what you must do when creating
>>floppies to run PM.
>>
>>If you have loaded the USB drivers, there might be an issue with driver
>>compatibility. I've used PM8 with an external IEEE1394 (Firewire) drive.
>>The
>>1394 drivers supplied by PM don't seem to like the native 1394 ports on my
>>mainboard (Asus A8V, Athlon64 system with a Via K8T800Pro chipset). I have
>>been able to use the 1394 port on my Audigy 2 soundcard, though.
>>
>>I know that isn't really relevant to your USB problem. Further, Dell
>>traditionally uses Intel hardware, so I'd hope that compatibility problems
>>would be unlikely.
>>
>>HTH.
>>
>>Bob Knowlden
>>
>>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> --
> Nick Michell
> Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 23, 2004 4:14:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello Bob,

No problem. I'm with you on the age thing - I'm an old canine trying
to learn some new thingies.

Interesting that you use both Ghost and PM. Perhaps I can pick your
brains on this. First the background: -
I've been using PM4 to copy partitions (OS's at various states)
between internal hdds to aid s/w development. My other hat is as a Mr
Fixit for domestic PC users. For this, I've been using an ancient
external Zip 100mb parallel in DOS mode to copy user data prior to
rebuilding a dead PC. ("Backups? Oh yes - I backup to the hard drive
every year." is a standard scenario.). Problem with that approach is
that all file names get converted to 8.3 format (the standard when I
started <g>).

I recently decided to drag myself into the 21st century and combine
both requirements, bought an external USB hdd and researched PM-like
utilities (not in enough depth, obviously). I did consider Ghost but
decided to stick with the devil I know (with some trepidation, after a
recent encounter with NIS 2004 - same acquiring company involved, I
think? Why can't they leave well enough alone?).

So, with the above in mind, do you think Ghost would be a good
addition to my arsenal, if only to get around the DOS/USB issue? What
version do you use? Does Ghost work with USB1, by the way?

Thanks,
Nick Michell

PS
I'm still puzzled by the PM8/Win2k USB DOS access - perhaps Win2k DOS
is, like XP, not "real" DOS but emulated.


On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:38:00 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Embarrassing admission time:
>
>I was thinking of Norton Ghost rather than PM 8.0. (I use both.) Ghost
>supports external USB and 1394 devices from its DOS boot mode. (I don't
>think that Symantec has purchased PowerQuest figured in my confusion.) I
>guess that PM does not support USB from a DOS boot.
>
>Sorry about that. I'd recommend Ghost for copying a partition, although it's
>not free. (Ghost was a good product before Symantec acquired it, and it
>doesn't seem to have suffered too badly under their ownership.) It can be
>had quite cheaply in the gray market (OEM versions sold as retail).
>
>As we age, memory is the second thing to go. (I forget the first.)
>
>Regards,
>
>Bob Kn.
>
>"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:06ihn0t96uslqkv36dkgrr80p4k8d782qj@4ax.com...
>> Hello Bob,
>>
>> Ahh! I assumed the message was referring to the internal hdd; from
>> what you say, it's talking about the external hdd.
>>
>> I can't find the check box you mention - when you say "running PM" do
>> you mean "installing PM"?
>>
>> I looked at the PM8 Help for USB refs, and found the following: -
>>
>> "PartitionMagic supports external USB, USB2, and FireWire hard drives
>> under Windows. Operations that are executed in boot mode are not
>> supported on these devices. You can see if an operation will be
>> performed in boot mode by clicking View > Operations Pending. If an
>> operation displays with the boot mode icon, it will not work on a USB,
>> USB2, or FireWire drive. <snip>."
>>
>> The pending operation does have the boot mode icon (as the operation
>> is being performed on the current live partition). The puzzle now is
>> that I've successfully done this (copied partitions from internal hdd
>> to external hdd via USB) on another PC in boot mode.
>>
>> For the record: -
>> PC1: Dell XPS Dimension, Win2k, PM8 - Boot Mode copy okay.
>> PC2; Dell Optiplex, Win 98, PM8 - Boot Mode copy fails.
>>
>> Is it, perhaps, a Win98/Win2k issue?
>>
>> Perhaps I'll have to contact PowerQuest TechSupp, as the message
>> suggests, but I *really* don't want to go down that route ["Have you
>> tried re-installing Windows/PM"; "Sounds like a hardware problem -
>> contact WestDig"; "What did you have for breakfast?" <g>]
>>
>> Nick Michell.
>>
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:43:25 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Nick,
>>>
>>>Have you set up PM8 to load its USB drivers when it boots into DOS mode to
>>>do the copy? There's a check box on one of the screens that comes up in
>>>the
>>>process of running PM. It's similar to what you must do when creating
>>>floppies to run PM.
>>>
>>>If you have loaded the USB drivers, there might be an issue with driver
>>>compatibility. I've used PM8 with an external IEEE1394 (Firewire) drive.
>>>The
>>>1394 drivers supplied by PM don't seem to like the native 1394 ports on my
>>>mainboard (Asus A8V, Athlon64 system with a Via K8T800Pro chipset). I have
>>>been able to use the 1394 port on my Audigy 2 soundcard, though.
>>>
>>>I know that isn't really relevant to your USB problem. Further, Dell
>>>traditionally uses Intel hardware, so I'd hope that compatibility problems
>>>would be unlikely.
>>>
>>>HTH.
>>>
>>>Bob Knowlden
>>>
>>>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>>
>> --
>> Nick Michell
>> Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
>


--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
October 23, 2004 4:14:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Ghost is a valuable addition. Test your DOS/USB compatibility before you
decide to buy it.
But there is another possibility. Use a network share. Run USB hard drive
attached to any network PC (desktop, laptop or server) and share it. Then,
Ghost image your client PC HD to that network share.

"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:h7bkn0p3atpg3rlvqknm1issb0n5j7n196@4ax.com...
> Hello Bob,
>
> No problem. I'm with you on the age thing - I'm an old canine trying
> to learn some new thingies.
>
> Interesting that you use both Ghost and PM. Perhaps I can pick your
> brains on this. First the background: -
> I've been using PM4 to copy partitions (OS's at various states)
> between internal hdds to aid s/w development. My other hat is as a Mr
> Fixit for domestic PC users. For this, I've been using an ancient
> external Zip 100mb parallel in DOS mode to copy user data prior to
> rebuilding a dead PC. ("Backups? Oh yes - I backup to the hard drive
> every year." is a standard scenario.). Problem with that approach is
> that all file names get converted to 8.3 format (the standard when I
> started <g>).
>
> I recently decided to drag myself into the 21st century and combine
> both requirements, bought an external USB hdd and researched PM-like
> utilities (not in enough depth, obviously). I did consider Ghost but
> decided to stick with the devil I know (with some trepidation, after a
> recent encounter with NIS 2004 - same acquiring company involved, I
> think? Why can't they leave well enough alone?).
>
> So, with the above in mind, do you think Ghost would be a good
> addition to my arsenal, if only to get around the DOS/USB issue? What
> version do you use? Does Ghost work with USB1, by the way?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick Michell
>
> PS
> I'm still puzzled by the PM8/Win2k USB DOS access - perhaps Win2k DOS
> is, like XP, not "real" DOS but emulated.
>
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:38:00 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Embarrassing admission time:
> >
> >I was thinking of Norton Ghost rather than PM 8.0. (I use both.) Ghost
> >supports external USB and 1394 devices from its DOS boot mode. (I don't
> >think that Symantec has purchased PowerQuest figured in my confusion.) I
> >guess that PM does not support USB from a DOS boot.
> >
> >Sorry about that. I'd recommend Ghost for copying a partition, although
it's
> >not free. (Ghost was a good product before Symantec acquired it, and it
> >doesn't seem to have suffered too badly under their ownership.) It can be
> >had quite cheaply in the gray market (OEM versions sold as retail).
> >
> >As we age, memory is the second thing to go. (I forget the first.)
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Bob Kn.
> >
> >"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
> >news:06ihn0t96uslqkv36dkgrr80p4k8d782qj@4ax.com...
> >> Hello Bob,
> >>
> >> Ahh! I assumed the message was referring to the internal hdd; from
> >> what you say, it's talking about the external hdd.
> >>
> >> I can't find the check box you mention - when you say "running PM" do
> >> you mean "installing PM"?
> >>
> >> I looked at the PM8 Help for USB refs, and found the following: -
> >>
> >> "PartitionMagic supports external USB, USB2, and FireWire hard drives
> >> under Windows. Operations that are executed in boot mode are not
> >> supported on these devices. You can see if an operation will be
> >> performed in boot mode by clicking View > Operations Pending. If an
> >> operation displays with the boot mode icon, it will not work on a USB,
> >> USB2, or FireWire drive. <snip>."
> >>
> >> The pending operation does have the boot mode icon (as the operation
> >> is being performed on the current live partition). The puzzle now is
> >> that I've successfully done this (copied partitions from internal hdd
> >> to external hdd via USB) on another PC in boot mode.
> >>
> >> For the record: -
> >> PC1: Dell XPS Dimension, Win2k, PM8 - Boot Mode copy okay.
> >> PC2; Dell Optiplex, Win 98, PM8 - Boot Mode copy fails.
> >>
> >> Is it, perhaps, a Win98/Win2k issue?
> >>
> >> Perhaps I'll have to contact PowerQuest TechSupp, as the message
> >> suggests, but I *really* don't want to go down that route ["Have you
> >> tried re-installing Windows/PM"; "Sounds like a hardware problem -
> >> contact WestDig"; "What did you have for breakfast?" <g>]
> >>
> >> Nick Michell.
> >>
> >>
> >> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:43:25 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>>Nick,
> >>>
> >>>Have you set up PM8 to load its USB drivers when it boots into DOS mode
to
> >>>do the copy? There's a check box on one of the screens that comes up in
> >>>the
> >>>process of running PM. It's similar to what you must do when creating
> >>>floppies to run PM.
> >>>
> >>>If you have loaded the USB drivers, there might be an issue with driver
> >>>compatibility. I've used PM8 with an external IEEE1394 (Firewire)
drive.
> >>>The
> >>>1394 drivers supplied by PM don't seem to like the native 1394 ports on
my
> >>>mainboard (Asus A8V, Athlon64 system with a Via K8T800Pro chipset). I
have
> >>>been able to use the 1394 port on my Audigy 2 soundcard, though.
> >>>
> >>>I know that isn't really relevant to your USB problem. Further, Dell
> >>>traditionally uses Intel hardware, so I'd hope that compatibility
problems
> >>>would be unlikely.
> >>>
> >>>HTH.
> >>>
> >>>Bob Knowlden
> >>>
> >>>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nick Michell
> >> Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
> >
>
>
> --
> Nick Michell
> Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 23, 2004 10:49:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thanks Peter - I've taken the plunge and gone for Ghost9 (I'll now
hold my breath and wait for a chorus of "You should have got Ghost8
instead!" <g>).

As for your other suggestion, I'm not confident in my ability to
setup a network share with the client breathing down my neck and
glancing at their watch. However, you have made me think of some of
the implications of what I plan to do; I think I'll settle-down with a
large drink and read the licence (that'll be a first) before clicking
"I Agree".

Regards,
Nick Michell.


On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:42:27 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>Ghost is a valuable addition. Test your DOS/USB compatibility before you
>decide to buy it.
>But there is another possibility. Use a network share. Run USB hard drive
>attached to any network PC (desktop, laptop or server) and share it. Then,
>Ghost image your client PC HD to that network share.


--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
October 23, 2004 10:49:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

You are right! Ghost9 is not a "Ghost" at all!
That is a quite bad marketing decision that will cause Symantec lots of
trouble.

You have said a "client"? Then, I assume all network setup will be on your
(service) end. Client's PC just needs a network interface (MB embedded or a
card). Network setup is worth investing in!

"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:7h5ln0prkjrh0hectnbseqb09pc55sidvr@4ax.com...
> Thanks Peter - I've taken the plunge and gone for Ghost9 (I'll now
> hold my breath and wait for a chorus of "You should have got Ghost8
> instead!" <g>).
>
> As for your other suggestion, I'm not confident in my ability to
> setup a network share with the client breathing down my neck and
> glancing at their watch. However, you have made me think of some of
> the implications of what I plan to do; I think I'll settle-down with a
> large drink and read the licence (that'll be a first) before clicking
> "I Agree".
>
> Regards,
> Nick Michell.
>
>
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:42:27 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >Ghost is a valuable addition. Test your DOS/USB compatibility before you
> >decide to buy it.
> >But there is another possibility. Use a network share. Run USB hard drive
> >attached to any network PC (desktop, laptop or server) and share it.
Then,
> >Ghost image your client PC HD to that network share.
>
>
> --
> Nick Michell
> Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 23, 2004 11:15:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Nick,

I use Ghost 2003 almost exclusively for backup. I bought it as a stand-alone
initially, and got it again with Norton Systemworks 2004 Pro.

I tried to backup up directly to CD with Ghost, but I always got corrupted
CDs. (DVDs were no better - I have a Plextor PX-708A). Lately, I've been
backing up in the form of images of the partition, which I create on an
external 1394 drive. The files are written in approx. 2 GB segments, which
(I think) is the file size limit for FAT32. (Ghost can also be set to write
segments of arbitrary size, by using command line switches.) Two segments
burned to a DVD use most of the space on the disk.

Ghost 2003 is supposed to support both USB 1.1 and 2 drives, but I haven't
used them much. I vaguely recall having tried my external drive using a USB
connection (it supports both USB 2 and 1394); I think that it worked. I've
already mentioned that Ghost's 1394 drivers don't like the ports on my
mainboard, but work OK with the 1394 port on my Audigy 2 sound card.

Is Ghost 9 really a Drive Image variant re-named? I recall reading something
to that effect.

Incidentally, Ghost uses a "real" DOS for its operations. (I don't recall,
but it may be DR-DOS.) I think that PM8 does the same thing when it reboots
the machine to complete some operations. Ghost includes USB drivers in that
mode, while PM does not.

If I'm mistaken in that, I welcome corrections.

Bob Kn.

"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:h7bkn0p3atpg3rlvqknm1issb0n5j7n196@4ax.com...
> Hello Bob,
>
> No problem. I'm with you on the age thing - I'm an old canine trying
> to learn some new thingies.
>
> Interesting that you use both Ghost and PM. Perhaps I can pick your
> brains on this. First the background: -
> I've been using PM4 to copy partitions (OS's at various states)
> between internal hdds to aid s/w development. My other hat is as a Mr
> Fixit for domestic PC users. For this, I've been using an ancient
> external Zip 100mb parallel in DOS mode to copy user data prior to
> rebuilding a dead PC. ("Backups? Oh yes - I backup to the hard drive
> every year." is a standard scenario.). Problem with that approach is
> that all file names get converted to 8.3 format (the standard when I
> started <g>).
>
> I recently decided to drag myself into the 21st century and combine
> both requirements, bought an external USB hdd and researched PM-like
> utilities (not in enough depth, obviously). I did consider Ghost but
> decided to stick with the devil I know (with some trepidation, after a
> recent encounter with NIS 2004 - same acquiring company involved, I
> think? Why can't they leave well enough alone?).
>
> So, with the above in mind, do you think Ghost would be a good
> addition to my arsenal, if only to get around the DOS/USB issue? What
> version do you use? Does Ghost work with USB1, by the way?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick Michell
>
> PS
> I'm still puzzled by the PM8/Win2k USB DOS access - perhaps Win2k DOS
> is, like XP, not "real" DOS but emulated.
>
>
(snip)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 27, 2004 9:59:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Typical - just get to grips with one solution and another one comes
along.

I've just become aware of the FHD XS 20GB USB2 Ext HDD. Dabs are doing
an offer on it (£95 inc VAT). Seems to answer all my needs - USB1.1
*and* USB2.0. Comes with Acronis True Image for Partition copying.

Anyone had any experience of this? Is it end-of-line, with better to
come?

Thanks to all who replied to my Partition Magic / Ghost queries, by
the way. I've got some more questions, but I'll ask them in a more
relevant ng, to avoid being stamped on by the Topic Relevance Police
<g>.

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
September 11, 2008 8:00:32 PM

What worked for me was so simple I nearly fell out of my seat. I simply hid the partition on my external hdd first and then the program had no problem copying it wherever I wanted to put it. I used PQ 8.0. It didn't reboot to do it - it copied the partition from the external drive to my hdd to an unallocated space on C drive.
!