Samsung SP1614N: SMART temperature too low (unplausible)

I'm using 4 Samsung SP1614N (160GB) drives in a RAID5 array.
The SMART attribute "Temperature_Celsius" is stated to be 8 deg
celsius!!

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 214 133 000 Old_age Always
- 8

Given that the ambient temperature is around 15 deg celsius, this value
seems highly inplausible to me. All 4 drives are reported to be between
8 and 15 deg celsius. After googling a while I found a few messages
saying "there are reports that Samsung firmware reports a temperature
too low", but that's it.

Can anybody confirm this? Can there anything done about that?

Alex

--
remove underscore+nospam if you want to mail me

Previously Alex Meier <superdoehli_nospam@gmx.at> wrote:
> I'm using 4 Samsung SP1614N (160GB) drives in a RAID5 array.
> The SMART attribute "Temperature_Celsius" is stated to be 8 deg
> celsius!!

> 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 214 133 000 Old_age Always
> - 8

> Given that the ambient temperature is around 15 deg celsius, this value
> seems highly inplausible to me. All 4 drives are reported to be between
> 8 and 15 deg celsius. After googling a while I found a few messages
> saying "there are reports that Samsung firmware reports a temperature
> too low", but that's it.

> Can anybody confirm this? Can there anything done about that?

I have the same disk model and it gives me 25C (idle),
about the same a the maxtor 6Y200P0 having the same cooler
and sharing the same airflow.

However directky after start-up it someetimes reports far too low
temperatures, e.g. 17C when ambient temperature is 23C. This goes
away within some minutes.

My guess would be that the sensor is in a place that gets
hotter than the rest of the disk and that there is some
correction function that only works with a disk that has been
running for some time. For example the sensor could be in a
chip that gets ~10C hotter than the disk. In order to report
a temperature consistent with the 55C maximum disk temperature,
they would have to subtract 10C from the measurement of the
sensor. On start-up (when the chip is also cold), you will then
get temperatures lower than possible for s short while.

The lowest temperature I found the disk reporting in the last
5 months (I have a log entry all 5 minutes when running Linux)
was 13C, < 10 Minutes after power-up. 10 Minutes later things
were o.k. again. I did not fond any yery low entries during
normal operation.

Arno

In article <2tsub2F24cg2sU1@uni-berlin.de>, me@privacy.net says...
> My guess would be that the sensor is in a place that gets
> hotter than the rest of the disk and that there is some
> correction function that only works with a disk that has been
> running for some time.

that's quite a good guess if it would only report ridiculously low
temperatur right after startup.

however, this is the RAID array of my server, this means 24/7 operation,
the drives are running constantly for weeks right now, and these are no
startup values, instead these value are still being reported.

Alex

--
remove underscore+nospam if you want to mail me