Whats the best defragger for WinXP?

Hi

I'm thinking of improving upon the basic built Defragger offered by MS.

I know there's a defragger in Norton Utilities and there's Diskeeper v9.
There was also a shareware one (I think) that had a good rep but I cant
recall the name.

Any views on which is best?

Thanks

Ian I^)
14 answers Last reply
More about whats defragger winxp

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:18:42 +0100, "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm thinking of improving upon the basic built Defragger offered by MS.
    >
    >I know there's a defragger in Norton Utilities and there's Diskeeper v9.
    >There was also a shareware one (I think) that had a good rep but I cant
    >recall the name.
    >
    >Any views on which is best?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Ian I^)

    PerfectDisk > O&O Defrag >> Norton Speeddisk >>>>> Diskeeper ~ MS default

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    In article <clatob$kfh$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>, sorry@NOSPAM.com
    says...
    > I'm thinking of improving upon the basic built Defragger offered by MS.
    >
    > I know there's a defragger in Norton Utilities and there's Diskeeper v9.
    > There was also a shareware one (I think) that had a good rep but I cant
    > recall the name.
    >
    > Any views on which is best?

    What improvements are you looking for? Outside of scheduling, there
    isn't too much extra in most 3rd party defraggers. Speed isn't
    dramatically different, and isn't much of an issue if run in the
    background or non-use times.

    I've used Diskeeper for years. They've had Smart scheduling (checking
    defrag level, then scheduling based on how fragmented it is) for awhile,
    and DK8 (and presumably 9), let you exclude hours so it doesn't start up
    when you are typically using it. I just found out about DK9, and most of
    the 'updates' are no big deal. In fact, I think the 'new' FragShield
    used to exist under the name FragGuard a few years ago!! MFT
    fragmentation typically only occurs if you nearly fill up your drive,
    and pagefile fragmentation when you increase your pagefile size.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    "Ian Roberts" wrote:
    > I'm thinking of improving upon the basic built
    > Defragger offered by MS.
    >
    > I know there's a defragger in Norton Utilities and
    > there's Diskeeper v9. There was also a shareware
    > one (I think) that had a good rep but I cant
    > recall the name.
    >
    > Any views on which is best?

    Eet don' mahtter, mon. One of the PC magazines
    did a defragger review about a year ago, and the
    conclusion was that the Norton one took grossly
    too long for negligable extra gain, the rest took
    less time but not worth the cost, and MS's built-in
    defragger was good enough. In fact, the article
    opined that with WinXP, defragging wasn't worth
    doing as the operating system seemed to take care
    of itself. Bottom line - spend your time and your
    money on something else, like more RAM. If you
    want to read it yourself, check out the archives at the
    PCmag and PCWorld websites. BTW, if you have
    a 2nd drive with another copy of a MS operating
    system loaded, boot that one and use it to defrag
    the 1st drive. Defrags seem to go faster if one
    hard drive defrags the other.

    *TimDaniels*

    On Oct 22 2004, Andrew Rossmann wrote:

    > I've used Diskeeper for years.

    The funny thing about Diskeeper is that it agrees with Norton Speed
    Disk, though Norton Speed disagrees with Diskeeper. Meaning, even
    Diskeeper thinks Norton did a better job of defragging the drive.

    Norton Speed Disk also has a big bad bug that will kill access to the
    drive if certain options and drives are selected at the wrong time. Not
    to mention that semi-important options have been removed in the WinXP
    versions that are still there if installed on Win98se. It appears that
    Symantec has all but abandon any future updates.

    Since I don't really care for Norton Speed Disk or Diskeeper, I'm giving
    PerfectDisk a try. So far, so good. YMMV.

    --

    Tom

    Ian Roberts wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm thinking of improving upon the basic built Defragger offered by MS.
    >
    > I know there's a defragger in Norton Utilities and there's Diskeeper v9.
    > There was also a shareware one (I think) that had a good rep but I cant
    > recall the name.
    >
    > Any views on which is best?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ian I^)

    The best is to keep your files on Linux and serve them up via Samba.
    Then you don't need to defrag.

    ;-)

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:31:33 -0000, Tom <Tom@invalid.com> wrote:

    }Since I don't really care for Norton Speed Disk or Diskeeper, I'm giving
    }PerfectDisk a try. So far, so good. YMMV.

    I have been using PerfectDisk for a couple of years now and have not had
    any problems... <knock on wood>

    On Oct 22 2004, Dave Balcom wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:31:33 -0000, Tom <Tom@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >}Since I don't really care for Norton Speed Disk or Diskeeper, I'm
    >}giving PerfectDisk a try. So far, so good. YMMV.
    >
    > I have been using PerfectDisk for a couple of years now and have not
    > had any problems... <knock on wood>

    In just the past day I've found several things I like about PerfectDisk
    over Norton Speed Disk.

    Probably the most important is allowing a nearly full drive to be
    defragmented. Speed Disk under WinXP will NOT allow a partition to be
    defragmented if there is not enough free space. Yet under Win98se the
    same drive and version of Speed Disk would allow the defragmentation to
    start. I just finished defragmenting a 55.9GB partition with as little
    as 114MB free. Impossible with Speed Disk under WinXP.

    However, there are a few things that could be improved. I don't like the
    way the drive monitor works when working with multiple drives. I think
    if more then one drive is selected it should show multiple results when
    they finish. Either by using tabs on a single notification window or
    multiple notification windows representing each drive.

    PerfectDisk shouldn't allow you to multi-select drives for the analyser
    without showing you all the results of the selected drives when they
    finish.

    There are some display refresh glitches. I nearly took a dump when half
    the drive showed as being free space after switching the monitor to a
    different drive and then switching back. It wasn't until the progression
    gauge updated that the drive monitor layout displayed the missing blue
    blocks and I could breath again.

    The help file could use some improvements. I still don't understand what
    it means when the analyser finishes and recommends both:

    Boot/Offline Defragmentation

    SmartPlacement Defragmentation

    If you don't mind, could explain what this means? I understand about
    locking the drive for offline, but do I boot defrag, offline defrag
    and/or just use defragment button and select SmartPlacement? And why the
    need manually select, shouldn't the program figure this out?

    --

    Tom

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:31:33 -0000, Tom <Tom@invalid.com> wrote:

    >On Oct 22 2004, Andrew Rossmann wrote:
    >
    >> I've used Diskeeper for years.
    >
    >The funny thing about Diskeeper is that it agrees with Norton Speed
    >Disk, though Norton Speed disagrees with Diskeeper. Meaning, even
    >Diskeeper thinks Norton did a better job of defragging the drive.
    >
    >Norton Speed Disk also has a big bad bug that will kill access to the
    >drive if certain options and drives are selected at the wrong time. Not
    >to mention that semi-important options have been removed in the WinXP
    >versions that are still there if installed on Win98se. It appears that
    >Symantec has all but abandon any future updates.

    I would say that your Symantec comment appears to apply to all of the
    old Norton Utilities. Speeddisk is very slow on large drives. The
    GUI for the Unerase Wizard is pretty bad and it seems unchanged for
    years and years now.

    Symantec is busy trying to reposition itself away from utilities and
    towards security. Not "consumer" but "enterprise" security, but to
    their chagrin, consumers keep buying the AV product, lowering the % of
    revenue from corporations.

    My guess is that they are putting most of their development $$$ into
    security these days. At first glance, I can't figure out whey they
    bought PowerQuest, since it probably would have been cheaper to fix
    Ghost internally than to buy PQ just to "fix Ghost."

    ISTR a comment (usenet? ) that Norton's registry repair routine is not
    as good as others available, and is potentially dangerous because some
    of the changes it makes.

    All in all, I had a good "run" with Norton Utilities, but it seem time
    to look for individual best-of-breed utilities elsewhere.

    And a pre-emptive phoeey%$%$phoeey to EG, RR, FR and all the other
    self-appointed guardians of the pflame of pure knowledge. :)

    Tom wrote:
    > On Oct 22 2004, Dave Balcom wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:31:33 -0000, Tom <Tom@invalid.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> }Since I don't really care for Norton Speed Disk or Diskeeper, I'm
    >> }giving PerfectDisk a try. So far, so good. YMMV.
    >>
    >> I have been using PerfectDisk for a couple of years now and have not
    >> had any problems... <knock on wood>
    >
    > In just the past day I've found several things I like about
    > PerfectDisk over Norton Speed Disk.
    >
    > Probably the most important is allowing a nearly full drive to be
    > defragmented. Speed Disk under WinXP will NOT allow a partition to be
    > defragmented if there is not enough free space. Yet under Win98se the
    > same drive and version of Speed Disk would allow the defragmentation
    > to start. I just finished defragmenting a 55.9GB partition with as
    > little as 114MB free. Impossible with Speed Disk under WinXP.
    >
    > However, there are a few things that could be improved. I don't like
    > the way the drive monitor works when working with multiple drives. I
    > think if more then one drive is selected it should show multiple
    > results when they finish. Either by using tabs on a single
    > notification window or multiple notification windows representing
    > each drive.
    >
    > PerfectDisk shouldn't allow you to multi-select drives for the
    > analyser without showing you all the results of the selected drives
    > when they finish.
    >
    > There are some display refresh glitches. I nearly took a dump when
    > half the drive showed as being free space after switching the monitor
    > to a different drive and then switching back. It wasn't until the
    > progression gauge updated that the drive monitor layout displayed the
    > missing blue blocks and I could breath again.
    >
    > The help file could use some improvements. I still don't understand
    > what it means when the analyser finishes and recommends both:
    >
    > Boot/Offline Defragmentation
    >
    > SmartPlacement Defragmentation
    >
    > If you don't mind, could explain what this means? I understand about
    > locking the drive for offline, but do I boot defrag, offline defrag
    > and/or just use defragment button and select SmartPlacement? And why
    > the need manually select, shouldn't the program figure this out?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tom

    I chose Perfect Disk 3yrs ago over DK & O&O because it could recognise XP's
    own Prefetch defrag process & had loads of commandline parameters for
    running in Task Scheduler. the others have probably caught up in many
    respects. The only problem I ever had was refusal to offline defrag my boot
    partition & that was fixed by returning to an earlier build before PD was
    upgraded - still using it now. PD also seemed to lower the rate of
    refragmentation.

    As for Smart Placement - it defrags files & free space based on when files
    were last changed. Offline defrag will attempt to lock a partition from the
    rest of Windows & if it can't, will do it on the next boot. If you look at
    the defrag log, Fragmented files, will probably show certain files that
    begin with $ which are so-called meta files (with NTFS) or files such as
    hiberfil.sys or the pagefile that which have possibly been forced to
    increase size into fragmented space.

    You must have a later version than me that actually recommends an offline
    pass if required, mine doesn't (2000 v5.0 b35) thought it's easy enough to
    check manually.

    Regards

    "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm thinking of improving upon the basic built Defragger offered by MS.
    >
    > I know there's a defragger in Norton Utilities and there's Diskeeper v9.
    > There was also a shareware one (I think) that had a good rep but I cant
    > recall the name.
    >
    > Any views on which is best?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ian I^)

    Hi Everyone

    Thanks a lot for all your replies

    Yes Perfect Disc is the name of the one I had forgotton. Looks like thats
    the one for me.

    I tried a demo of Diskeeper but this insisted on needing 20% free space
    before it would do anything - which is a complete pain when most of my
    partitions had much less. And keeping 20% of a 120Gb partition free just
    for this to work is a complete waste of space! Mad!

    NU has been stagnant for years and there are numerous (better/faster)
    alternatives now so its really lost its appeal and value.

    Thanks again

    Ian I^)

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:06:40 +0100, "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com>
    wrote:

    >"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of improving upon the basic built Defragger offered by MS.
    >>
    >> I know there's a defragger in Norton Utilities and there's Diskeeper v9.
    >> There was also a shareware one (I think) that had a good rep but I cant
    >> recall the name.
    >>
    >> Any views on which is best?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Ian I^)

    Diskeeper appears to be absolutely useless on fat32.
    I have been given a copy of 9.0, I installed it and
    have since uninstalled.
    It's operation seems brain dead. An analyze, told be
    I had 10 small files that were fragmented.
    I set the method to "quick", but still it insists on
    shuffling over files that are are already fragmented,
    pushing them all over a few bytes to the left
    and it's completely ignoring (after 30 minutes of running)
    the small amount of fragmented files that were there.

    I don't understand this operation at all. It's certainly not
    "quick defragmentation"

    Dave

    In article <fuj2o0li0go0261ao0etlhl3makhjnabbe@4ax.com>,
    davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com says...
    > Diskeeper appears to be absolutely useless on fat32.
    > I have been given a copy of 9.0, I installed it and
    > have since uninstalled.
    > It's operation seems brain dead. An analyze, told be
    > I had 10 small files that were fragmented.
    > I set the method to "quick", but still it insists on
    > shuffling over files that are are already fragmented,
    > pushing them all over a few bytes to the left
    > and it's completely ignoring (after 30 minutes of running)
    > the small amount of fragmented files that were there.
    >
    > I don't understand this operation at all. It's certainly not
    > "quick defragmentation"

    I agree that Diskeeper's FAT support is horrible. It's very basic. It
    just shuffles files over, filling in gaps and shifing files over.
    Diskeeper is much more NTFS oriented.

    Unless you dual boot, there is little need for FAT-style partitions.
    They have no security, limit individual files to 4G, and have giant
    cluster sizes.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:05:38 -0500, Andrew Rossmann
    <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

    >In article <fuj2o0li0go0261ao0etlhl3makhjnabbe@4ax.com>,
    >davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com says...
    >> Diskeeper appears to be absolutely useless on fat32.
    >> I have been given a copy of 9.0, I installed it and
    >> have since uninstalled.
    >> It's operation seems brain dead. An analyze, told be
    >> I had 10 small files that were fragmented.
    >> I set the method to "quick", but still it insists on
    >> shuffling over files that are are already fragmented,
    >> pushing them all over a few bytes to the left
    >> and it's completely ignoring (after 30 minutes of running)
    >> the small amount of fragmented files that were there.
    >>
    >> I don't understand this operation at all. It's certainly not
    >> "quick defragmentation"
    >
    > I agree that Diskeeper's FAT support is horrible. It's very basic. It
    >just shuffles files over, filling in gaps and shifing files over.
    >Diskeeper is much more NTFS oriented.
    >
    > Unless you dual boot, there is little need for FAT-style partitions.
    >They have no security, limit individual files to 4G, and have giant
    >cluster sizes.
    Thanks for backing up my finding.
    I do have dual boot, so for now, I'm keeping it fat32.
    9gb partition, acceptable 8k cluster size.

    There's still plenty of people using fat32.
    The people at diskeeper development have,
    because of this issue, provided an incomplete solution.

    I'm not going to run it; I'll stick with XP's built in
    solution.

    Dave

    In article <o9s2o0t2hl0n727uggpis11brpouegosn7@4ax.com>,
    davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com says...
    > I'm not going to run it; I'll stick with XP's built in
    > solution.

    Just a note that MS's defragger is just a cut-down version of
    Diskeeper.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

Storage