Why doesn't MS Movie maker support USB 2.0?

Why doesn't MS Movie maker support USB 2.0?

Thanks,
Andy

Because the standard for digital capture is through firewire aka IEEE1394.
USB, whether 1.1or 2.0, is for capture of digital still images.
www.coribright.com

"acannon" <acannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why doesn't MS Movie maker support USB 2.0?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Neither www.usb.org or www.firewire.org say the are the standard, they just say they're a high speed serial data bus. USB 2.0 is more prevalent on new systems. Most digital video cameras support it, too. There is no reason that MovieMaker should exclude USB 2.0.

Andy

"Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

> Because the standard for digital capture is through firewire aka IEEE1394.
> USB, whether 1.1or 2.0, is for capture of digital still images.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "acannon" <acannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why doesn't MS Movie maker support USB 2.0?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy

How does USB2 support the on camera functions of record/play/fast
forward/rewind, from pressing buttons on the screen? It doesn't.

Apple designed firewire specifically with video transfer in mind, which is
why it can read all that data info, and allows the camera control.

Interesting info
Architecture - FireWire vs. USB 2.0

FireWire, built from the ground up for speed, uses a "Peer-to-Peer"
architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus
conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer

USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all
arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the
attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in
slower, less-efficient data flow control)

Performance Comparison - FireWire vs. USB 2.0
Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire and
then USB 2.0 show:

Read Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0

Write Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

For more info, see: http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm

--
Graham Hughes
MVP

> Neither www.usb.org or www.firewire.org say the are the standard, they
just say they're a high speed serial data bus. USB 2.0 is more prevalent on
new systems. Most digital video cameras support it, too. There is no
reason that MovieMaker should exclude USB 2.0.

> Andy
>
> "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Because the standard for digital capture is through firewire aka
IEEE1394.
> > USB, whether 1.1or 2.0, is for capture of digital still images.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "acannon" <acannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Why doesn't MS Movie maker support USB 2.0?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andy

I don't understand then why the new Sony Handycams (I have the CDR-DV101) -
obviously not still images) supports USB 2.0 technologies.

I have all my movies on MovieMaker files and I can't burn them onto the
camera's dvd. It's ridiculous.
Silvia

"Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

> Because the standard for digital capture is through firewire aka IEEE1394.
> USB, whether 1.1or 2.0, is for capture of digital still images.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "acannon" <acannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why doesn't MS Movie maker support USB 2.0?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy

You can use usb2 for capturing video, but the throughput of info via usb2 is
not as good as firewire, it is not designed for continuous info, more
hi-speed short bursts, which may result in dropped frames. MM2 does not
support it's use, but often apps from the cam manufacturers will, like
movieshaker (???) from sony. It often captures at a lower resolution to
dv-avi, which results in poorer quality than a firewire captured movie.
Firewire also enables camcorder operability from the pc, not something
available via usb, it all has to be done manually.
Firewire as Cari says is the de facto standard, if you stray from it you are
going to find problems, and this is down to manufacturers of cams not M/S.
Will the sony app not send the movie back to the cam via USB? If you save
from MM2 as a dv-avi file and import it in to it?

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP