deleted part of my girlfriends thesis - HELP!

I have a laptop with 2 partitions and after I ran Compaqs system
recovery to reinstall WinXP I saw that it deleted my e-drive where my
documents where.
Is it possible to recover the docs even after a format, and even after
I have made a new partition (thought I had backup so I made a new
partition with partition magic, but there is one important excelfile
that I am missing).
Since I am using a laptop, I dont have the option of taking the drive
out and putting it in another pc. I have a usb drive that I can
connect to my laptop though.
Help greatly appreciated!

WinHex.

Open disk| Tools | Disktools | File recovery by type

"Dalle" <henningdalgaard@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f8f518a6.0410220423.6b5fff44@posting.google.com
> I have a laptop with 2 partitions and after I ran Compaqs system
> recovery to reinstall WinXP I saw that it deleted my e-drive where my
> documents where.
> Is it possible to recover the docs even after a format, and even after
> I have made a new partition (thought I had backup so I made a new
> partition with partition magic, but there is one important excelfile
> that I am missing).
> Since I am using a laptop, I dont have the option of taking the drive
> out and putting it in another pc. I have a usb drive that I can
> connect to my laptop though.
> Help greatly appreciated!

Just wanted to let you all know that I actually solved the problem!!!
I used a couple of different program before I tried EasyRecovery from
Ontrack. After a long scan of my disk I found the file. It was not named the
same but had a number instead and was just one out of thousands of similar
files. Luckily it was among the first five I checked out.
Amazing that its possible after formating, deleting partition, creating new
partition and installing a bunch of stuf in that partition.
Thanks for all your help and interest.
Henning Dalgaard

On 22 Oct 2004 05:23:23 -0700, henningdalgaard@hotmail.com (Dalle)
wrote:

>Since I am using a laptop, I dont have the option of taking the drive
>out and putting it in another pc.

inexpensive adapters & enclosures exist to connect the drive to a
desktop- if you can easily figure out how to get it out of the
laptop...