Bizarre behavior from DVD/CD RW drive - can't burn DVDs

June 20, 2004 6:46:01 PM

This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any help that can be offered.

I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media, although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive. Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank media either.

What's been done:
* Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
* Drivers are up to date.
* Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
* Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
* System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no previous state exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
PBI

--
PBI
Anonymous

Firstly XP has no built in support for dvd writing, so when you insert the
dvd it will show up as a cd and not work. This is normal.
For the other apps, it's guessing.

Is the drive a +/- drive or just a + drive? If so, is the media +, I have
known people send out the wrong ones by mistake.
A faulty batch of discs? Try some others.
Drive faulty, try a new one?
Clean the drive.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"plan.9" <plan9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any
help that can be offered.

> I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my
DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media,
although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is
empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When
I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD
Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
media either.

> What's been done:
> * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
> * Drivers are up to date.
> * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows
XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
> * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
> * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no
previous state exists.

> Anyone have any ideas?
>

> --
> PBI
>
> --
> PBI
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:27:02 PM

This is an old thread but hopefull someone finds this. I have a similar
problem with Win XP.

Problem: Insert blank dvd-r and click on the drive properties and it says
the disk is full. Pinnacle thinks the drive is empty and tells me to insert
a blank dvd. Bottom line... I can't burn dvd anymore!

Debug: Burned two home movies to dvd-r (same lot of dvds) the day before.
Worked great. I have a Toshiba SD-R5112 (Mad Dog 4X burner). I also have an
NEC DV-5800A dvd player that came with my Dell desktop. This has to be a
software issue because both drives think the dvd-r is full if you insert
them. Inserting cd-r media works great... it recognizes the cd's as being
empty and ready to burn to.

Tried: reboot, reinstall of dvd decoder, removing useless Nero
Going to try: remove hardware + reinstall, swap master with current slave,

I'm not a computer genius so I don't know what else to do. Any help would be
appreciated. I've been all over the web and seen this problem but have never
found a solution.

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> Firstly XP has no built in support for dvd writing, so when you insert the
> dvd it will show up as a cd and not work. This is normal.
> For the other apps, it's guessing.
>
> Is the drive a +/- drive or just a + drive? If so, is the media +, I have
> known people send out the wrong ones by mistake.
> A faulty batch of discs? Try some others.
> Drive faulty, try a new one?
> Clean the drive.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "plan.9" <plan9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any
> help that can be offered.
> >
> > I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my
> DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media,
> although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is
> empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When
> I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD
> Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
> Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
> which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
> media either.
> >
> > What's been done:
> > * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
> > * Drivers are up to date.
> > * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows
> XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
> that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
> > * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
> > * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
> several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no
> previous state exists.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> >

> > --
> > PBI
> >
> > --
> > PBI

February 10, 2005 5:37:01 PM

I'm the original poster for this thread.

Apprarently, the OS became corrupted, and I ended up having to re-install
Windows XP to resolve this problem. The apparent trigger was an "update"
installation of Apple iTunes, which I have since seen hose up other hardware
and software as well. Unfortunately, a complete re-install of the OS appears
to be the only viable fix. (I am now the proud owner of a Maxtor external
hard drive to mitigate future data restoration issues if I ever have to
reinstall XP again.)

If you have Apple iTunes on your Windows XP machine, I STRONGLY recommend
that you create a restore point using "System Restore" before installing any
updates, and that you do not "update" install. Instead, use Add/Remove
programs to remove the older version; reboot; install the new version as a
clean install.

"ctoro" wrote:

> [...]
> > Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
> > Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
> > which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
> > media either.
> > >
> > > What's been done:
> > > * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
> > > * Drivers are up to date.
> > > * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows
> > XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
> > that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
> > > * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
> > > * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
> > several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:53:02 PM

I don't have Apple iTunes... and I was really hoping not to have to
re-install XP pro. A system restore point sounds really good right now. I
wish I had done that. When you do a system restore does it delete all work
you've done since you created that point? Just wondering.

"plan.9" wrote:

> [...]
> > > "plan.9" <plan9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > help that can be offered.

> > > DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media,
> > > although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is
> > > empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When
> > > I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD
> > > Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
> > > Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
> > > which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
> > > media either.

> > > XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
> > > that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
> > > several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:16:12 AM

It doesn't alter any work you have saved, just teh condition of programmes
and the O/S, so if you installed a programme yesterday and did some work in
it today which you saved, then did a system restore to 3 days ago, the app
would disappear but the work would still be there.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

!