Bizarre behavior from DVD/CD RW drive - can't burn DVDs

This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any help that can be offered.

I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media, although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive. Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank media either.

What's been done:
* Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
* Drivers are up to date.
* Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
* Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
* System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no previous state exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
PBI

--
PBI
5 answers Last reply

    Firstly XP has no built in support for dvd writing, so when you insert the
    dvd it will show up as a cd and not work. This is normal.
    For the other apps, it's guessing.

    Is the drive a +/- drive or just a + drive? If so, is the media +, I have
    known people send out the wrong ones by mistake.
    A faulty batch of discs? Try some others.
    Drive faulty, try a new one?
    Clean the drive.
    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    "plan.9" <plan9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any
    help that can be offered.

    > I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my
    DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media,
    although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is
    empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When
    I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD
    Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
    Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
    which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
    media either.

    > What's been done:
    > * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
    > * Drivers are up to date.
    > * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows
    XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
    that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
    > * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
    > * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
    several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no
    previous state exists.

    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >

    > --
    > PBI
    >
    > --
    > PBI

    This is an old thread but hopefull someone finds this. I have a similar
    problem with Win XP.

    Problem: Insert blank dvd-r and click on the drive properties and it says
    the disk is full. Pinnacle thinks the drive is empty and tells me to insert
    a blank dvd. Bottom line... I can't burn dvd anymore!

    Debug: Burned two home movies to dvd-r (same lot of dvds) the day before.
    Worked great. I have a Toshiba SD-R5112 (Mad Dog 4X burner). I also have an
    NEC DV-5800A dvd player that came with my Dell desktop. This has to be a
    software issue because both drives think the dvd-r is full if you insert
    them. Inserting cd-r media works great... it recognizes the cd's as being
    empty and ready to burn to.

    Tried: reboot, reinstall of dvd decoder, removing useless Nero
    Going to try: remove hardware + reinstall, swap master with current slave,

    I'm not a computer genius so I don't know what else to do. Any help would be
    appreciated. I've been all over the web and seen this problem but have never
    found a solution.

    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

    > Firstly XP has no built in support for dvd writing, so when you insert the
    > dvd it will show up as a cd and not work. This is normal.
    > For the other apps, it's guessing.
    >
    > Is the drive a +/- drive or just a + drive? If so, is the media +, I have
    > known people send out the wrong ones by mistake.
    > A faulty batch of discs? Try some others.
    > Drive faulty, try a new one?
    > Clean the drive.
    > Graham
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > "plan.9" <plan9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any
    > help that can be offered.
    > >
    > > I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my
    > DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media,
    > although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is
    > empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When
    > I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD
    > Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
    > Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
    > which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
    > media either.
    > >
    > > What's been done:
    > > * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
    > > * Drivers are up to date.
    > > * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows
    > XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
    > that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
    > > * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
    > > * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
    > several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no
    > previous state exists.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas?
    > >

    > > --
    > > PBI
    > >
    > > --
    > > PBI

    I'm the original poster for this thread.

    Apprarently, the OS became corrupted, and I ended up having to re-install
    Windows XP to resolve this problem. The apparent trigger was an "update"
    installation of Apple iTunes, which I have since seen hose up other hardware
    and software as well. Unfortunately, a complete re-install of the OS appears
    to be the only viable fix. (I am now the proud owner of a Maxtor external
    hard drive to mitigate future data restoration issues if I ever have to
    reinstall XP again.)

    If you have Apple iTunes on your Windows XP machine, I STRONGLY recommend
    that you create a restore point using "System Restore" before installing any
    updates, and that you do not "update" install. Instead, use Add/Remove
    programs to remove the older version; reboot; install the new version as a
    clean install.

    "ctoro" wrote:

> [...]
    > > Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
    > > Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
    > > which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
    > > media either.
    > > >
    > > > What's been done:
    > > > * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
    > > > * Drivers are up to date.
    > > > * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows
    > > XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
    > > that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
    > > > * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
    > > > * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
    > > several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no

    I don't have Apple iTunes... and I was really hoping not to have to
    re-install XP pro. A system restore point sounds really good right now. I
    wish I had done that. When you do a system restore does it delete all work
    you've done since you created that point? Just wondering.

    "plan.9" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > "plan.9" <plan9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > help that can be offered.

    > > > DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media,
    > > > although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is
    > > > empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When
    > > > I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD
    > > > Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive.
    > > > Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of
    > > > which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank
    > > > media either.

    > > > XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show
    > > > that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
    > > > several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no

    It doesn't alter any work you have saved, just teh condition of programmes
    and the O/S, so if you installed a programme yesterday and did some work in
    it today which you saved, then did a system restore to 3 days ago, the app
    would disappear but the work would still be there.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

Video DVD CD-Rom Windows XP