Disconnecting EXACTLY every 10 minutes

I have a Linksys 54G wireless router (latest Firmware) that is disconnecting
my laptop exactly every 10 minutes. I was using WPA PSK and had no signal
strength problems or problems staying connected. The laptop is a Toshiba
SP25-s520 w/built in WiFi 802.11g.

I switched to WEP because I bought a Phillips stereo system that uses a WiFi
internet connection (802.11b). That device cannot use WPA, but does use
WEP, so reconfigured the router for WEP 128 Bit. It seems since switching
to WEP, I'm having the disconnect problems., and the signal strength seems
to fluctuate frequently. The stereo, however, seems to stay connected
constantly.

I'm on WinXP home w/SP1 (I haven't installed SP2 yet), the router config is
set up properly, and has not changed (except from WPA to WEP). Is there
something inherent in WEP to cause these disconnects at set intervals? Is
there any way to stop this?

Also, there now seems to be another wireless network that pops up in my
config. In the wireless setup I have removed it from the auto connect list,
but it still shows up in the connections list. Can I permanently delete
this other network?

The other network showing is probably one of your neighbors network. hat you
need to do is switch the channel on the laptop by default I think they use 6
try changing to 1 or 11. Second go onto to the linksys website and see if
this is a known issue they might have a firmware update for your router that
can solve your problem.

"Guess Who" wrote:

> I have a Linksys 54G wireless router (latest Firmware) that is disconnecting
> my laptop exactly every 10 minutes. I was using WPA PSK and had no signal
> strength problems or problems staying connected. The laptop is a Toshiba
> SP25-s520 w/built in WiFi 802.11g.
>
> I switched to WEP because I bought a Phillips stereo system that uses a WiFi
> internet connection (802.11b). That device cannot use WPA, but does use
> WEP, so reconfigured the router for WEP 128 Bit. It seems since switching
> to WEP, I'm having the disconnect problems., and the signal strength seems
> to fluctuate frequently. The stereo, however, seems to stay connected
> constantly.
>
> I'm on WinXP home w/SP1 (I haven't installed SP2 yet), the router config is
> set up properly, and has not changed (except from WPA to WEP). Is there
> something inherent in WEP to cause these disconnects at set intervals? Is
> there any way to stop this?
>
> Also, there now seems to be another wireless network that pops up in my
> config. In the wireless setup I have removed it from the auto connect list,
> but it still shows up in the connections list. Can I permanently delete
> this other network?

I have been having the exact same 10 minute disconnect issue with my
Toshiba laptop and Linksys router. After playing around, I seemed to
have fixed it by unchecking the ENABLE IEEE802.1x AUTHENITICATION FOR
THIS NETWORK box in the AUTHENTICATION tab (from the PROPERTIES box for
my preffered network).
Good luck! :)

--
SAJon