Help: ATA66 hard dirve recognized as ATA33?

Mike

Splendid

Hi,

I have a WD102AA 10GB Old HD which is ATA66 according the specification.
However, I used a 80 wires 40 pins cable to connect it to two motherboards.
Neither one in the BIOS shown it was detected as ATA66 but ATA33.

I can't figure out what's the problem was and need someone can help me to
solve the problem.

Thanks ....

- Mike

cjt

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a WD102AA 10GB Old HD which is ATA66 according the specification.
> However, I used a 80 wires 40 pins cable to connect it to two motherboards.
> Neither one in the BIOS shown it was detected as ATA66 but ATA33.
>
> I can't figure out what's the problem was and need someone can help me to
> solve the problem.
>
> Thanks ....
>
> - Mike

I doubt it'll make any noticeable difference -- I'd leave it.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:58:52 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a WD102AA 10GB Old HD which is ATA66 according the specification.
>> However, I used a 80 wires 40 pins cable to connect it to two motherboards.
>> Neither one in the BIOS shown it was detected as ATA66 but ATA33.
>>
>> I can't figure out what's the problem was and need someone can help me to
>> solve the problem.
>>
>> Thanks ....
>>
>> - Mike
>>

>I doubt it'll make any noticeable difference -- I'd leave it.

While I don't know the reason, I always found drives to _seem_ slower
in ATA33 even if they were in no danger of saturating the bus. There
may be some limited benefit in trying to fix this.

1. make sure both mobo controllers also support ATA-66
2. make sure DMA is properly enabled in the BIOS. (There may be more
than one place)
3. use the Disk manufacturer's Ultra DMA utility to check it's current
mode and change it if necessary.
4. realize you can get a much faster new 80gig ATA-100 drive for
around 30USD after rebates. New ATA-100 controllers are even cheaper.

Mike wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a WD102AA 10GB Old HD which is ATA66 according the specification.
> However, I used a 80 wires 40 pins cable to connect it to two motherboards.
> Neither one in the BIOS shown it was detected as ATA66 but ATA33.
>
> I can't figure out what's the problem was and need someone can help me to
> solve the problem.
>
> Thanks ....
>
> - Mike

You may just have a faulty cable?