Norton Ghost 9/2003 doesn't see my partitions

Okay, this problem is really starting to get to me. I'm using Windows
2000 SP4, and Norton Ghost will only see my C: partition. I have two
other partitions, d: and e:. I read somewhere that it won't write to
ntfs partitions... however, the 2003 version says it does support it.
I went ahead anyway and formated a partition using fat32. Still no
luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled program. No luck. Tried using
Ghost 9. This won't even see my C: drive and I can't use the program
at all.

What's going on here??
12 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost 2003 doesn partitions

    When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one partition
    as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
    dynamic)?

    "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, this problem is really starting to get to me. I'm using Windows
    > 2000 SP4, and Norton Ghost will only see my C: partition. I have two
    > other partitions, d: and e:. I read somewhere that it won't write to
    > ntfs partitions... however, the 2003 version says it does support it.
    > I went ahead anyway and formated a partition using fat32. Still no
    > luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled program. No luck. Tried using
    > Ghost 9. This won't even see my C: drive and I can't use the program
    > at all.
    >
    > What's going on here??

    Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
    with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
    They are all basic partitions.

    neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message news:<cbf6e111.0410272245.14419798@posting.google.com>...
    > Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
    > with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
    > They are all basic partitions.
    >

    > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2u6oq2F26k4blU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > > When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one partition
    > > as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
    > > dynamic)?

    I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created an Image of my C:
    drive and copied it to an F: drive successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD
    are NTFS.
    However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the image from F: to
    C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.
    It did find it when running the copy from the OS.
    It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
    running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

    Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check if
    it sees your partitions?
    (Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
    have on your disk and what disk is that?

    "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
    > with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
    > They are all basic partitions.
    >

    > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one
    partition
    > > as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
    > > dynamic)?

    What type of disk is drive F:? Is it attached to the same disk conroller as
    drive C:?
    What is the image file name?

    "Emmitsuks" <emmitsuks@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message
    > > Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
    > > with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
    > > They are all basic partitions.
    > >

    > > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > > When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one
    partition
    > > > as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types
    (basic,
    > > > dynamic)?
    >
    > I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created an Image of my C:
    > drive and copied it to an F: drive successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD
    > are NTFS.
    > However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the image from F: to
    > C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.
    > It did find it when running the copy from the OS.
    > It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
    > running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

    Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
    the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
    want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
    the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
    the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
    couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2uco62F28cqpqU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check if
    > it sees your partitions?
    > (Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
    > have on your disk and what disk is that?

    Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
    (FAT32 or NTFS)?
    If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
    partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
    visibility problem first.

    > Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
    > the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
    > want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
    > the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
    > the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
    > couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.
    >
    > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check
    if
    > > it sees your partitions?
    > > (Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
    > > have on your disk and what disk is that?

    Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.

    Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think it
    might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
    my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on W2k
    now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
    compatible.

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2udpqjF29hj8kU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
    > (FAT32 or NTFS)?
    > If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
    > partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
    > visibility problem first.
    >
    > "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
    > > the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
    > > want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
    > > the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
    > > the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
    > > couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.
    > >
    > > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > > Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check
    > if
    > > > it sees your partitions?
    > > > (Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
    > > > have on your disk and what disk is that?

    So anybody know a solution to this? I still haven't figured it out.

    neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message news:<cbf6e111.0410290844.1077b13a@posting.google.com>...
    > Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.
    >
    > Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think it
    > might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
    > my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on W2k
    > now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
    > compatible.
    >
    > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2udpqjF29hj8kU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > > Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
    > > (FAT32 or NTFS)?
    > > If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
    > > partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
    > > visibility problem first.
    > >
    > > "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
    > > > the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
    > > > want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
    > > > the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
    > > > the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
    > > > couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.
    > > >
    > > > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > if

    I'm having the same problem. Running on a W2K Pro SP4 machine, Ghost
    9.0 is not showing my C: drive (NTFS)! It does however show my slave
    drive H: (NTFS) for some reason...

    Perhaps I should try Ghost 2003? I just really like 9.0's simple
    interface.

    Sorry I don't have a solution, but I just thought empathize and share
    in your agony.

    Nicola wrote:
    > I'm having the same problem. Running on a W2K Pro SP4 machine, Ghost
    > 9.0 is not showing my C: drive (NTFS)! It does however show my slave
    > drive H: (NTFS) for some reason...
    >
    > Perhaps I should try Ghost 2003? I just really like 9.0's simple
    > interface.
    >
    > Sorry I don't have a solution, but I just thought empathize and share
    > in your agony.
    >

    > neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message
    >> So anybody know a solution to this? I still haven't figured it out.
    >>
    >> neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message
    >>> Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think
    >>> it
    >>> might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
    >>> my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on
    >>> W2k
    >>> now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
    >>> compatible.
    >>>
    >>> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    >> if

    Probably, your Windows 2000 needs a boost in order to fully support an IDE
    disk that has a capacity that exceeds 128 GB.
    What size reports the LDM (Windows' Disk Manager)?

    If it limits to 128 GB, please, visit this page:

    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    YES! This [ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098/EN-US/ ] worked!
    Thank you Michael!

Norton Partition Storage