Norton Ghost 9/2003 doesn't see my partitions

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 26, 2004 3:32:41 AM

Okay, this problem is really starting to get to me. I'm using Windows
2000 SP4, and Norton Ghost will only see my C: partition. I have two
other partitions, d: and e:. I read somewhere that it won't write to
ntfs partitions... however, the 2003 version says it does support it.
I went ahead anyway and formated a partition using fat32. Still no
luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled program. No luck. Tried using
Ghost 9. This won't even see my C: drive and I can't use the program
at all.

What's going on here??
October 26, 2004 10:56:00 AM

When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one partition
as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
dynamic)?

"LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, this problem is really starting to get to me. I'm using Windows
> 2000 SP4, and Norton Ghost will only see my C: partition. I have two
> other partitions, d: and e:. I read somewhere that it won't write to
> ntfs partitions... however, the 2003 version says it does support it.
> I went ahead anyway and formated a partition using fat32. Still no
> luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled program. No luck. Tried using
> Ghost 9. This won't even see my C: drive and I can't use the program
> at all.
>
> What's going on here??
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 28, 2004 3:45:45 AM

Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
They are all basic partitions.

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2u6oq2F26k4blU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one partition
> as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
> dynamic)?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 28, 2004 1:02:14 PM

neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message news:<cbf6e111.0410272245.14419798@posting.google.com>...
> Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
> with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
> They are all basic partitions.
>

> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2u6oq2F26k4blU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one partition
> > as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
> > dynamic)?

I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created an Image of my C:
drive and copied it to an F: drive successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD
are NTFS.
However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the image from F: to
C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.
It did find it when running the copy from the OS.
It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.
October 28, 2004 5:22:07 PM

Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check if
it sees your partitions?
(Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
have on your disk and what disk is that?

"LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
> with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
> They are all basic partitions.
>

> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one
partition
> > as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
> > dynamic)?
October 28, 2004 5:26:26 PM

What type of disk is drive F:? Is it attached to the same disk conroller as
drive C:?
What is the image file name?

"Emmitsuks" <emmitsuks@optonline.net> wrote in message
> neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message
> > Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
> > with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
> > They are all basic partitions.
> >

> > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > > When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one
partition
> > > as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types
(basic,
> > > dynamic)?
>
> I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created an Image of my C:
> drive and copied it to an F: drive successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD
> are NTFS.
> However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the image from F: to
> C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.
> It did find it when running the copy from the OS.
> It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
> running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 28, 2004 11:43:23 PM

Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2uco62F28cqpqU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check if
> it sees your partitions?
> (Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
> have on your disk and what disk is that?
October 29, 2004 2:56:16 AM

Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
(FAT32 or NTFS)?
If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
visibility problem first.

> Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
> the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
> want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
> the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
> the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
> couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.
>
> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check
if
> > it sees your partitions?
> > (Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
> > have on your disk and what disk is that?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 29, 2004 1:44:16 PM

Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.

Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think it
might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on W2k
now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
compatible.

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2udpqjF29hj8kU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
> (FAT32 or NTFS)?
> If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
> partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
> visibility problem first.
>
> "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
> > the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
> > want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
> > the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
> > the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
> > couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.
> >
> > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > > Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check
> if
> > > it sees your partitions?
> > > (Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
> > > have on your disk and what disk is that?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 1, 2004 5:39:51 PM

So anybody know a solution to this? I still haven't figured it out.

neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message news:<cbf6e111.0410290844.1077b13a@posting.google.com>...
> Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.
>
> Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think it
> might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
> my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on W2k
> now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
> compatible.
>
> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2udpqjF29hj8kU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
> > (FAT32 or NTFS)?
> > If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
> > partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
> > visibility problem first.
> >
> > "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
> > > the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
> > > want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
> > > the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
> > > the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
> > > couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.
> > >
> > > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> if
November 25, 2004 8:49:57 AM

I'm having the same problem. Running on a W2K Pro SP4 machine, Ghost
9.0 is not showing my C: drive (NTFS)! It does however show my slave
drive H: (NTFS) for some reason...

Perhaps I should try Ghost 2003? I just really like 9.0's simple
interface.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but I just thought empathize and share
in your agony.

neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message news:<cbf6e111.0411011439.1c3e2331@posting.google.com>...
> So anybody know a solution to this? I still haven't figured it out.
>
> neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message news:<cbf6e111.0410290844.1077b13a@posting.google.com>...
> > Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.
> >
> > Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think it
> > might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
> > my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on W2k
> > now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
> > compatible.
> >
> > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<2udpqjF29hj8kU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > > Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
> > > (FAT32 or NTFS)?
> > > If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
> > > partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
> > > visibility problem first.
> > >
> > > "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> if
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 26, 2004 4:32:07 AM

Nicola wrote:
> I'm having the same problem. Running on a W2K Pro SP4 machine, Ghost
> 9.0 is not showing my C: drive (NTFS)! It does however show my slave
> drive H: (NTFS) for some reason...
>
> Perhaps I should try Ghost 2003? I just really like 9.0's simple
> interface.
>
> Sorry I don't have a solution, but I just thought empathize and share
> in your agony.
>

> neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message
>> So anybody know a solution to this? I still haven't figured it out.
>>
>> neil_hunter81@yahoo.com (LaphLaw) wrote in message
>>> Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think
>>> it
>>> might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
>>> my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on
>>> W2k
>>> now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
>>> compatible.
>>>
>>> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>> if

Probably, your Windows 2000 needs a boost in order to fully support an IDE
disk that has a capacity that exceeds 128 GB.
What size reports the LDM (Windows' Disk Manager)?

If it limits to 128 GB, please, visit this page:

M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
December 2, 2004 2:09:08 PM

YES! This [ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098/EN-US/ ] worked!
Thank you Michael!
!