Drives and partitions not avilablel in DOS

Hi.
I've just installed a third diskdrive in my computer and formated it with
NTFS (running WinXP). At the same time I converted the other two( the one
with OS containing 5 partitions) into NTFS. My system is working fine but
when I was going to backup my C: drive with Ghost7, I wasn't able to boot
into Dos. Or, that is, I was able to boot but none of the drives were
detected. Ram-drive was loaded into C:, no other drives available. Running
Ghost from a floppy, detects all drives to copy from, but can't find
anything but A: and cd-burner to copy image to. Whats wrong? I's it DOS that
can´t detect NTFS drives?

Anomaly

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

"MagnusC" <machrisnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I've just installed a third diskdrive in my computer and formated it with
> NTFS (running WinXP). At the same time I converted the other two( the one
> with OS containing 5 partitions) into NTFS. My system is working fine but
> when I was going to backup my C: drive with Ghost7, I wasn't able to boot
> into Dos. Or, that is, I was able to boot but none of the drives were
> detected. Ram-drive was loaded into C:, no other drives available. Running
> Ghost from a floppy, detects all drives to copy from, but can't find
> anything but A: and cd-burner to copy image to. Whats wrong? I's it DOS
> that can´t detect NTFS drives?

DOS cannot read NTFS volumes. The link below is to a freeware program called
"NTFS Reader". I haven't used it, but, as you can read for yourself, the
author claims that it will enable DOS to read NTFS volumes.

http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

Anomaly

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

"MagnusC" <machrisnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I've just installed a third diskdrive in my computer and formated it with
> NTFS (running WinXP). At the same time I converted the other two( the one
> with OS containing 5 partitions) into NTFS. My system is working fine but
> when I was going to backup my C: drive with Ghost7, I wasn't able to boot
> into Dos. Or, that is, I was able to boot but none of the drives were
> detected. Ram-drive was loaded into C:, no other drives available. Running
> Ghost from a floppy, detects all drives to copy from, but can't find
> anything but A: and cd-burner to copy image to. Whats wrong? I's it DOS
> that can´t detect NTFS drives?

Here's another link from Sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdos.shtml

peter

That is correct. Ghost 7 cannot write image to directly to a local NTFS
partition. You need Ghost 8 to do that. That has nothing to do with DOS,
since Ghost 8 still runs in DOS environment. But, of course, you cannot see
NTFS drive from DOS command shell.

"Anomaly" <anom@an.com> wrote in message news:jayfd.927$ie.401@lakeread04...

> "MagnusC" <machrisnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> > I've just installed a third diskdrive in my computer and formated it
with
> > NTFS (running WinXP). At the same time I converted the other two( the
one
> > with OS containing 5 partitions) into NTFS. My system is working fine
but
> > when I was going to backup my C: drive with Ghost7, I wasn't able to
boot
> > into Dos. Or, that is, I was able to boot but none of the drives were
> > detected. Ram-drive was loaded into C:, no other drives available.
Running
> > Ghost from a floppy, detects all drives to copy from, but can't find
> > anything but A: and cd-burner to copy image to. Whats wrong? I's it DOS
> > that can´t detect NTFS drives?
>

> DOS cannot read NTFS volumes. The link below is to a freeware program
called
> "NTFS Reader". I haven't used it, but, as you can read for yourself, the
> author claims that it will enable DOS to read NTFS volumes.
>
> http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

Thanks a lot.
Guess I'll have to invest in a new version of Ghost...
/ Magnus
"Anomaly" <anom@an.com> skrev i meddelandet

> "MagnusC" <machrisnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> I've just installed a third diskdrive in my computer and formated it with
>> NTFS (running WinXP). At the same time I converted the other two( the one
>> with OS containing 5 partitions) into NTFS. My system is working fine but
>> when I was going to backup my C: drive with Ghost7, I wasn't able to boot
>> into Dos. Or, that is, I was able to boot but none of the drives were
>> detected. Ram-drive was loaded into C:, no other drives available.
>> Running Ghost from a floppy, detects all drives to copy from, but can't
>> find anything but A: and cd-burner to copy image to. Whats wrong? I's it
>> DOS that can´t detect NTFS drives?
>
> Here's another link from Sysinternals:
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdos.shtml

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> That is correct. Ghost 7 cannot write image to directly to a local NTFS
> partition. You need Ghost 8 to do that. That has nothing to do with DOS,
> since Ghost 8 still runs in DOS environment.

That DOS can't read NTFS and DOS applications relying on DOS file I/O can't
read NTFS has everything to do with DOS. For Ghost (8) to be able to read
NTFS has everything to do with Ghost. It is Ghost itself that accesses NTFS.

> > DOS cannot read NTFS volumes. The link below is to a freeware program
> called
> > "NTFS Reader". I haven't used it, but, as you can read for yourself, the
> > author claims that it will enable DOS to read NTFS volumes.

NTFS Reader does not enable DOS to read NTFS volumes. You can only actually
read NTFS drives from the NTFS Reader program itself.

If you want DOS to be able to read NTFS, the NTFSDOS driver from
www.sysinternals.com (which by the way has been around a lot longer than the
NTFS Reader utilty you refer to) is a far more elegant solution. The
read-only version is free.

--
Joep