rocketraid 1820a does not support adding disks?

Just asked Highpoint about their RocketRaid 1820A and was stunned to
find out that it does not support adding additional drives as you need
space. If you need to add a drive, you have to, essentially, start
over. Does anyone have experience with this card that would make that
inaccruate?

after researching, apparently not. however, adaptec provides this
function on their 2810sa cards. unfortunately they are almost $500.
it's cheaper in the long run to just buy all 8 drives at once with the
rocketraid.

tommy wrote:

> Just asked Highpoint about their RocketRaid 1820A and was stunned to
> find out that it does not support adding additional drives as you need
> space. If you need to add a drive, you have to, essentially, start
> over. Does anyone have experience with this card that would make that
> inaccruate?

Why were you "stunned" to find out that a toy RAID controller acts like a
toy?

Adding drives to an array on the fly is not a simple task--the array has to
be rebuilt with the larger capacity and the OS has to be made to deal with
it in some fashion. If it's to be done without reformatting then it
becomes complicated real fast. I think you'll find that if you want
resizing you're going to have to go considerably upmarket.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)